Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
The question remains if he can avoid getting hit at the next level, but he's going to be an impact goal scorer for sure. He'll have to modify his game a little from juniors (he was surprisingly scrappy in the games I saw), but his knack for floating into dangerous areas and letting loose his lethal shot is a skill that will definitely translate to the NHL. The kid just knows how to put pucks in the net, and that will win his team games, even in the playoffs.

Exactly, he's very similar to DeBrincat in that regard.

I don't think Caufield will be blowing guys up at the NHL level, but I also think he's a hell of a lot tougher than people are giving him credit for.

Reactions: McMetal

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
You're obviously the one who needs to figure it out if you're still arguing that a guy like Nikita Zadorov is more important to a team than Cole Caufield (and I assuming you're already counting on Caufield to pan out in the NHL, otherwise you wouldn't be making this argument).

So what if he went a little lower? Are you gonna tell me that if the Avs knew what they know now they'd still pick Duncan Siemens and other teams would still pass over Johnny Gaudreau until the fourth round!?

I'm telling you that right now Zadorov is more valuable than Caufield because Caufield hasn't played an NHL game. And for all your indignation, none of us knows if Caufield will be able to withstand the rigors of the NHL on a nightly basis. There's a reason why Caufield dropped. He hasn't proven he's the second coming of Jesus Christ yet..

Reactions: Brett44

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's pretty much it.

Gaudreau figured it out, Gallagher figured it out, and DeBrincat is nowhere near as good a skater as Caufield, and he figured it out.

The one place where I'll agree with you when it comes to size is Tyson Jost, but even then, it's not technically his lack of stature that bothers me, it's his below-average skating. It's all about creating separation to make plays, and you have to either be big and powerful, fast, or have a near-elite hockey IQ.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm telling you that right now Zadorov is more valuable than Caufield because Caufield hasn't played an NHL game. And for all your indignation, none of us knows if Caufield will be able to withstand the rigors of the NHL on a nightly basis. There's a reason why Caufield dropped. He hasn't proven he's the second coming of Jesus Christ yet..

Now you're switching your argument. First you said Zadorov was more important than Caufield because Zadorov could knock Caufield out of the game, now you're saying it's because Caufield hasn't played a single NHL game? Make up your mind, dude. And I've already listed several undersized skill forwards so just swap them out if you need to. You're getting waaaaaay too focused on one guy.

And no one said he's the second coming of Christ. He doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a good NHL player. I'm reasonably confident he'll be that.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Gaudreau figured it out, Gallagher figured it out, and DeBrincat is nowhere near as good a skater as Caufield, and he figured it out.

The one place where I'll agree with you when it comes to size is Tyson Jost, but even then, it's not technically his lack of stature that bothers me, it's his below-average skating. It's all about creating separation to make plays, and you have to either be big and powerful, fast, or have a near-elite hockey IQ.

I could foresee Caufield figuring it out. Great hands and good IQ. I can also foresee him getting absolutely leveled. I think NHL GMs, for better or worse (your disagreement is as much with them as me) share that concern. It just means Caufield will have to prove himself (every player does so no big deal). You should be glad. Because whatever reservations I might have, it'd be a travesty not to give Caufield a shot at playing in the NHL. I'm not that closed minded.

100% agree with your comments about Jost and creating separation.

Reactions: Pokecheque

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Now you're switching your argument. First you said Zadorov was more important than Caufield because Zadorov could knock Caufield out of the game, now you're saying it's because Caufield hasn't played a single NHL game? Make up your mind, dude. And I've already listed several undersized skill forwards so just swap them out if you need to. You're getting waaaaaay too focused on one guy.

And no one said he's the second coming of Christ. He doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a good NHL player. I'm reasonably confident he'll be that.

I just think smaller guys (Caufield is a prime example) are going to have a tougher time proving themselves. You wanted to talk value. But you're talking based on talent. Not what's happened and where they are actually at and you can't do that. I'm more than happy to see smaller guys play but my sense is that'll be the exception and not the rule.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I could foresee Caufield figuring it out. Great hands and good IQ. I can also foresee him getting absolutely leveled. I think NHL GMs, for better or worse (your disagreement is as much with them as me) share that concern. It just means Caufield will have to prove himself (every player does so no big deal). You should be glad. Because whatever reservations I might have, it'd be a travesty not to give Caufield a shot at playing in the NHL. I'm not that closed minded.

100% agree with your comments about Jost and creating separation.

Well, I'll just add that I think, and will likely always believe, that a majority of NHL GMs are bad at their jobs. And even the best of them can make terrible decisions.

That said, this was a pretty loaded draft, and while I think Caufield will indeed be a good player, the hype train went a liiiiiiiiittle overboard right before the draft. No one taken over him was a massive reach IMO.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh and FTR my favorite player on the Avs is the 6'4" Finn who sports the number 96 and moves with the alacrity of a WWII battleship. And before anyone asks, he was still my favorite player when Alexander Kerfoot was still on the team.

Sure hope they sign him! But that's a discussion for another thread.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Well, I'll just add that I think, and will likely always believe, that a majority of NHL GMs are bad at their jobs. And even the best of them can make terrible decisions.

That said, this was a pretty loaded draft, and while I think Caufield will indeed be a good player, the hype train went a liiiiiiiiittle overboard right before the draft. No one taken over him was a massive reach IMO.

All of the draftees, all of them whether #1 or later, will have to prove themselves and I agree about GMs. I think Caufield would have definitely gone top ten in any of the last several drafts. Kid is too good. Great vision, great hands, great shot. Can pick up loose change and make an improvised shot lethal. But for myself, when you have a smaller player like that then it becomes imperative to find the right role for them. He's not going to be dominating physically. That's a concern for me in the sense that players have to up their game in the POs so what can you bring that you didn't before? For lack of a better word, dimensionality - both in terms of play and who you play with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd take Caufield over a lot of players on the Avs. The Habs could offer him up for Z and I'd buy the plane tickets. Z is a solid defensemen and has moments where he looks great, but in the end he is a 4/5 that leans more to the 5 side. I'd trade Z for any legitimate 2nd line wing of similar age with little to no hesitation. He's just not that critical to the Avs, especially as the defense matures.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yep exactly, that was the downfall for everything, never should have signed Tavares in the 1st place, what a screwup.

Should have just rolled with 4.5 mil Kadri instead if $11 plus mil Tavares.

What is Shanny doing, sleeping through all this ? Who gets canned when they lose 1st round or miss the playoffs Babs, Dubas, Shanny, or all 3 ? :dunno:
Exactly
Too bad some of our fans think that was the greatest signing in the history lol

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd take Caufield over a lot of players on the Avs. The Habs could offer him up for Z and I'd buy the plane tickets. Z is a solid defensemen and has moments where he looks great, but in the end he is a 4/5 that leans more to the 5 side. I'd trade Z for any legitimate 2nd line wing of similar age with little to no hesitation. He's just not that critical to the Avs, especially as the defense matures.

My thoughts exactly.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Overated bigtime . In Canada alone there are at least 8 centers better

Name them.

Uh, yeah...I'm curious too. Off the top of my head there's only two I'd rank without hesitation over him: Matthews and McDavid.

If he has another phenomenal season (and stays relatively healthy), then I'll name Pettersson above him as well. But beyond that, no one. Not Scheifele, not Monahan, and sure as hell not anyone on Montreal or Ottawa.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Name them.
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Bergeron
Seguin
Toews
Point
Scheifle
O'Reilly
Baŕzal
Couture
Stamkos ( actually no he's bettet suited as a winger .)

How deep are Canada eh ?

Don't just fixate on points , John is a great producer.but it's the same reason he gets shifted to 4 LW in Team Canada's. He can't elevste bis game and carry a team. He's a great complimentary player he's just overated.

And yeah you might say Couture but he's a great all.around center and big game player as we saw in the post season.

None if those teams of players I've mentioned would trsde those guys for Tavares 1 straight up

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolboss

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess I misunderstood, I thought you meant Canadian NHL teams.

That said, I don't understand why he has to be one of the best centers in all of Canada to not be overrated. And I sure as hell would not rank him below Couture, Barzal, Scheifele, or Point. And I'd be hard-pressed to rank Seguin above him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->