Speculation: 2019 free agency

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by rhef3, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Kekäläinen starting to have problems with Bobrovsky...

Maybe this would be our chance to trade for Bobo and lock him up for an extension.

Jimmy
    <>
    Bobrovsky

2. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

The only way I'd give up anything measurable for Bobrovsky would be if an extension is pretty much guaranteed. And even then, I'd still worry about the $ and term given his performance this season.

That said, I'll bet he's already aware that he'll be getting a text message with a picture of a Brinks truck this June from Paul Holmgren....

Winger98 likes this.
  3. TatarTangle

TatarTangle Registered User

A lot of better potential targets in 2020. I keep payroll as low as I can for now and don't do anything crazy in 2019 FA.

Ulysses31 likes this.
  4. kliq

kliq Registered User

Wouldnt do it for Point, but I would give that up for McDavid in a heartbeat. If you look at any teams first round picks for 4 years in a row, I would have to imagine that McDavid is more valuable then those four picks combined. McDavid-Larkin as our 1/2 punch would be amazing. Moot point as it would never happen lol, but can you imagine.

5. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

The pending lockout is likely to drive some guys to deals a little earlier though in terms of that gamble. If your team is willing to lock you up on a lockout proof bonus laden contract you have to listen. This group should be doing the same honestly in their contracts. I hope the new generation of Ilitch isn't cheap because that is the only way you can legitimately pursue a Karlsson in UFA this year anyway. He needs to get a Tavares structured deal with lots of bonus cash and lockout protection.

Just because we seem to have a few big names trending that way doesn't mean it will happen. They also were in outpost franchises that have traditionally struggled to retain talent or explore high level talent in free agency. I am hopeful Trouba follows this logic but I cannot be certain of it yet for 2020. That is the guy I really want. Along with some notable talent up front. If we can get that done over 2019 and 2020 I would be pretty happy. Along with our likely high picks we would be trending the right way skill wise again in my opinion.

We need to talk to Duchene, Karlsson, Stone and Panarin if they make free agency. Our bid might not be the best, none of the guys might come, but you better talk to players that talented.

6. PelagicJoe

PelagicJoe Registered User

I am surprised the Blues haven't made an offer for Bobo yet.

7. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

Adding Connor McDavid to this roster makes them Toronto-lite. I have no interest in being a perennial 1st/2nd round exit. But to each their own.

8. kliq

kliq Registered User

What it would give us is best building block in the NHL. I don't buy that narrative that acquiring McDavid = perennial 1st/2nd round exits.

9. Electric Eric

Electric Eric #91 To the Rafters!

More so because everything points towards that being a sticking point in negotiations. League isn't happy (hates) contracts structured like that.

10. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

He's absolutely a stud. But he also has an AAV of $12.5M for the next 8 years. So if you can also lure Erik Karlsson here, and continue to hit on multiple draft picks (with above average development times), then yeah, Detroit suddenly goes from zero to hero in a big way.

But that's a lot of ifs. Including those final draft pick successes coming without first rounders.

I'm just saying that, despite how immensely talented McDavid is, I think the higher probability of overall roster success at a championship caliber is to build around several kids on ELC's and other more affordable deals, so you still have the time and flexibility to round out the other areas of the roster.

But it's a moot point anyway, since Edmonton wouldn't deal him for 100 picks.

11. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I think the problem is that Edmonton wouldn't take four 1sts as the only payment. They'd want some roster players because they've drafted lousily and have seen how much of a crapshoot drafting can be. so, we'd be giving up some 1sts and some young talent, giving us fewer guys to surround McDavid with and fewer high picks to replenish that talent. Also, frankly, I have more faith in the Wings than the Oil in building a decent team around McDavid, but that also means we'd be drafting further out every year.

If' the trade is just picks, yeah, sign me up.

12. kliq

kliq Registered User

100% agreed, a trade for McDavid would require a ridiculous over-payment. I was more so referring to a hypothetical situation where we could offer sheet him, but even that would be pointless, what GM would not match an offer sheet on McDavid.

13. kliq

kliq Registered User

It really is a moot point, we are definitely going down a rabbit hole here in a pointless debate lol.

14. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Well, give Chiarelli enough rope... .

I'm looking forward to this summer and seeing what Holland/the Wings do with free agency and what not. I think we have to bid on the top shelf guys, but I'm really hoping we don't then move down to the second or third shelf guys. I mean, I don't want to see us signing Brock Nelson if we miss out on Panarin. Just roll with what we got at that point and try for that big signing next summer then.

jkutswings likes this.
  15. Squirrel in the Hole

Squirrel in the Hole Be the best squirrel in the hole

If it's a behavioural issue, I would be very leery. It's not likely a behavioural issue would be limited to his current team.

16. Squirrel in the Hole

Not a good idea. See Bryzgalov, Ilya

17. Squirrel in the Hole

Trying to understand why Karlsson would want to come here. The Swede connection is withering quickly and he's likely to get better or on-par offers from teams in a better position to win a Cup.

18. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    If all contenders are against the cap, you have to start thinking next becoming conterders.

That 11 million is pretty damn hard to fit on any contender. Especially at Tampa, where his best friend Hedman is.

In cap World, best player on position is very hard to fit on already-a-Contender. You have to think the "next one".

I don't think Detroit is the best fit, but I could estimate that Karlsson's destination could be Detroit-like.

It's almost crazy when I first thought that Florida could be a good destination, until I forgot that Mike Hoffmann is there. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

Unless they want to trade away a couple of forwards, Tampa essentially pulled themselves out of a Karlsson sweepstakes by extending McDonagh.

I would imagine that if Karlsson wants to go to a contender against or close to the cap, they'll consider what it'll take to make the space before they completely decline.

I agree. See Holmgren, Paul

20. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

I still really doubt Karlsson even makes it to free agency

he's clicking well in San Jose now,they're a good team,they can offer the 8th year that nobody else can,and they have plenty of cap space

21. kliq

kliq Registered User

100% agree! We don’t need another frans Nielsen. Sign high end elite talent (panarin/karlsson etc.) or lower end guys on 1 year deals that we can trade at the TDL. We don’t need second tier players who will likely be overpaid, these guys are so often busts, especially considering you never know how they will take to your system.

CaptainZetterberg40 likes this.
  22. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    7 million for Brock Nelson and 8 million for Tyler Myers.

Do it Kenny !:naughty:

23. Number1RedWingsFan52

Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

Hospital worker
    I can definitely see Holland going after Tyler Myers, We were linked to him in the past he's a big 6'8 RHD exactly what we need on our blue line. I'd take a shot at him for the right price.

24. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

For having a down year, the guy is still playing over 19 minutes a game in all situations and seems to have been pretty dependable for them - despite the lack of production this season. He won't come cheap, but maybe the fall in production and IT this season will spook some teams and bidding won't be as fierce for him.

25. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

I can think of worse groups than Trouba, Myers, Cholowski, Hronek, Jensen, and McIsaac.