OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
I'm so sad. Chase Young would have been a huge step in fixing this awful defense. Hopefully we don't look back at this as a huge missed opportunity in a few years.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Props to Gettleman and Shurmur. Daniel Jones was the correct pick. Credit where credit is due. Even if many other things were done wrong, they look to have gotten the most important piece correct.

I'm very excited to sure how this offseason goes. They have a lot of cap space to improve the roster. They'll have a high 1st and 2nd round pick. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel, and next year they'll be on their way back up.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Props to Gettleman and Shurmur. Daniel Jones was the correct pick. Credit where credit is due. Even if many other things were done wrong, they look to have gotten the most important piece correct.

I'm very excited to sure how this offseason goes. They have a lot of cap space to improve the roster. They'll have a high 1st and 2nd round pick. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel, and next year they'll be on their way back up.
Shurmur is a bad coach. They aren't going anywhere until they hire a good one.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Shurmur is a bad coach. They aren't going anywhere until they hire a good one.

He might be, though I don't think that's a fair conclusion just yet given the rosters he has had to work with. I know it's a hot take though, like the Giants f***ing up on the Jones pick.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Shurmur is 19-45 in his coaching career. 7th worst Win/Loss% in NFL history

He's probably just a bad coach.

I'm well aware of his record. Like I said, I know it's a hot take to bring the record up and call him a bad coach when he's coached the terrible Browns organization and a Giants roster that has been in shambles for the better part of 8 years. There are many great coaches who have had bad starts to their head coaching career and turn out fine. Shurmur is probably getting another season, and if improvement shown, at least one more after that. You don't change the structure of the team overnight. Reese and McAdoo ran this team into the ground.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm well aware of his record. Like I said, I know it's a hot take to bring the record up and call him a bad coach when he's coached the terrible Browns organization and a Giants roster that has been in shambles for the better part of 8 years. There are many great coaches who have had bad starts to their head coaching career and turn out fine. Shurmur is probably getting another season, and if improvement shown, at least one more after that. You don't change the structure of the team overnight. Reese and McAdoo ran this team into the ground.
He's shown nothing to deserve another season.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Genuinely asking; How many coaches have started their careers off with records this poor & actually turned it around? Can you think of any that have lead their teams to long playoff runs or to the Super Bowl? I'm betting it's a short list...most likely zero.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Genuinely asking; How many coaches have started their careers off with records this poor & actually turned it around? Can you think of any that have lead their teams to long playoff runs or to the Super Bowl? I'm betting it's a short list...most likely zero.

Bill Belichick for one.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Bill Belichick for one.

If the greatest coach in NFL history can do it then Shurmur can too.

So you think the Giants had a good roster the last 2 years then? Interesting. I don't.

He's the head coach not a passenger. He directly contributes to the team.

A bad roster doesn't mean Shurmur has to be terrible at challenges. A bad roster doesn't mean that he has to have no idea how to use an All Pro running back. A bad roster doesn't mean he forgot that defense can substitute when the opposing team brings their punting unit on at the last second. A bad roster doesn't mean that he's excused from having awful clock management.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Bill Belichick for one.

This is laughable.

First 4 full years. Shurmur 18-45 .281 winning percentage. Belichick 31-33 .450 winning percentage. (1-1 in the playoffs). Belichick's lowest win total in his first 4 years as Browns HC was 6. Shurmur has yet to win more than 5 games in a season.

Belichick was in the process of turning the Browns around before Art Modell decided to go scorched earth with the city of Cleveland. After an 11-5 season in '94, the '95 Browns season basically ended the day Modell announced the move to Baltimore. They lost 7 out of their last 8, their only win was the last game at the Dawg Pound where they showed up for the fans & beat the Bungles. No coach on the planet could've navigated that situation to a different outcome. Since then, BB has a 237-82 record, plus 30-10 in the playoffs.

I think it's fair to say these two coaches have nothing in common. Anyone else you can think of?

Reactions: ponzu4u

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

It was a great game, but it was still against the Redskins, who are terrible.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
This is laughable.

First 4 full years. Shurmur 18-45 .281 winning percentage. Belichick 31-33 .450 winning percentage. (1-1 in the playoffs). Belichick's lowest win total in his first 4 years as Browns HC was 6. Shurmur has yet to win more than 5 games in a season.

Belichick was in the process of turning the Browns around before Art Modell decided to go scorched earth with the city of Cleveland. After an 11-5 season in '94, the '95 Browns season basically ended the day Modell announced the move to Baltimore. They lost 7 out of their last 8, their only win was the last game at the Dawg Pound where they showed up for the fans & beat the Bungles. No coach on the planet could've navigated that situation to a different outcome. Since then, BB has a 237-82 record, plus 30-10 in the playoffs.

I think it's fair to say these two coaches have nothing in common. Anyone else you can think of?

Continuity is a huge part of establishing a culture, chemistry, and a good locker room of guys that fight for each other. Bill Belichick was afforded continuity in Cleveland, despite not posting a winning record his first 3 years as the Browns coach (total: 20-29). Continuity eventually paid off for him and the Browns with the 11-5 season in his 4th year there. Kyle Shanahan is another great example, who in his third season with the 49ers is dominating the NFC after two poor seasons to start (total: 10-22). Not every coach immediately inherits a roster capable of making noise in the first year or two.

Listen, I won't shed any tears if Shurmur gets canned. I'm not a Shurmur apologist, and he might very well turn out to truly be a bad coach, but I won't put him on blast yet just because fans always need to point a finger at someone. He only had 2 years with the Browns and he has only had 2 years with the Giants thus far. He hasn't had continuity to turn bad rosters around in either place. The problem is that Giants fans, or really fans just in general, expect miracle turnarounds to happen when a franchise has been bad for an extended period of time. Really, the Giants have been bad since the last Super Bowl win and you don't turn around 8 years of slop in a year with a new coach. It just doesn't happen, and it's even tougher when you consider he came in at the end of a fading veteran QB's career and shifting into the start of a rookie QB's career. I think the QB transition has actually gone smoother than most, as Jones has looked very good despite the fumbles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->