OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part III – Danny Dimes and Sammy Spleens Edition

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Once Herndon and Mosley come back this team isn’t looking too terrible. And Gase, I think a lot of us owe him an apology. He called a real nice game, very aggressive which I never thought I’d see. Can’t wait to hear what Evan and Joe have to say tomorrow wonder if they admit they were wrong.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Once Herndon and Mosley come back this team isn’t looking too terrible. And Gase, I think a lot of us owe him an apology. He called a real nice game, very aggressive which I never thought I’d see. Can’t wait to hear what Evan and Joe have to say tomorrow wonder if they admit they were wrong.

A little early to say they have been wrong...

Jets are 1-4 ... let’s add some wins and show some consistency before we anoint Gase.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
A little early to say they have been wrong...

Jets are 1-4 ... let’s add some wins and show some consistency before we anoint Gase.

Totally agree. Today was a nice start and it illustrated what we thought was possible before the season started until the injuries to Darnold and even Seimien put the kabaosh to running a normal offensive scheme.

Next week vs Patriots will be a pretty good indicator if what we saw today is sustainable. That defense over there is simply brilliant. Maybe the best defense I can ever recall them having during this two decade long run of there's.

If Gase can put a game plan together where the offense can score in the 20's vs that Patriots D...heck even score two TD's, well than maybe just maybe we got something here seeing the schedule after this as has been stated ad nausea gets appreciably easier the rest of the season.

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to Gase and will remain so until like you say, he puts a few more game together where the offense is humming. We'll shalt see but he'll certainly not have any more excuses now that Sam is back combined with the schedule being so friendly going forward.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Totally agree. Today was a nice start and it illustrated what we thought was possible before the season started until the injuries to Darnold and even Seimien put the kabaosh to running a normal offensive scheme.

Next week vs Patriots will be a pretty good indicator if what we saw today is sustainable. That defense over there is simply brilliant. Maybe the best defense I can ever recall them having during this two decade long run of there's.

If Gase can put a game plan together where the offense can score in the 20's vs that Patriots D...heck even score two TD's, well than maybe just maybe we got something here seeing the schedule after this as has been stated ad nausea gets appreciably easier the rest of the season.

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to Gase and will remain so until like you say, he puts a few more game together where the offense is humming. We'll shalt see but he'll certainly not have any more excuses now that Sam is back combined with the schedule being so friendly going forward.

Agreed.

The next challenge is NE... hopefully this team will go into that game with some swagger and a workable game plan.

I’m not realistically expecting the Jets to win that game, but I’d like to see a close game that goes down to the wire. I don’t want to stomach another 38-13 debacle where half the team looks disinterested and the other half looks ready to cry.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Agreed.

The next challenge is NE... hopefully this team will go into that game with some swagger and a workable game plan.

I’m not realistically expecting the Jets to win that game, but I’d like to see a close game that goes down to the wire. I don’t want to stomach another 38-13 debacle where half the team looks disinterested and the other half looks ready to cry.

We are obviously on the same page as indicated by both of our previous comments. I actually am feeling oddly pretty confident about the Jets putting up a good fight come Monday night. Lesser Jet teams than this one over the years have given the Patriots fits at Met Life and so I don't see why we can't make the evil empire sweat this one out and have the game head into the 4th quarter with the outcome still in doubt.

Jets are getting 10 points from Vegas and I actually think the Jets are a pretty dang good play. I'm definitely taking them in my work pool which is versus the spread which only a week ago would have been unthinkable for me to do.

Sammy boy makes all the difference in the world for this team. Very much looking forward to seeing his continued emergence into a bonafide consistent studly QB....we shalt see.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
"Oddly", I felt amazingly confident that we would beat "America's team" (are they still considered that?) I think it was just a matter of not coughing up the ball (only once) as per usual with our Jets. Like said, Sammy made all the difference. There was a quiet confidence in the offense that Sammy breeds. And yeah, surprisingly Gase called a good game, but lets face it, the QB can make or break the play calling.

To beat the Pats, they have to play mistake free football, including offsides, illegal procedures et al. Absolutely have to.
Make a mistake, it will assuredly cost. Thats what the Pats do, they "take advantage" of opposing teams stupidity. You have a legit "chance", if you don't hand them the victory.

Man, I cant wait till those two knuckleheads retire. Jeez, you gotta know.......when one does, the other will follow.
I will predict, it will be a unified retiring. Same day, same press conference. I bet.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Man, I cant wait till those two knuckleheads retire. Jeez, you gotta know.......when one does, the other will follow.
I will predict, it will be a unified retiring. Same day, same press conference. I bet.
Brady will schedule a full press conference and Belichick will show up with a scribbled note and take no questions.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

We know we definitely have our QB going forward, finally after all these years. I just hope that Douglas, unlike Maccagnan, realizes the #1 priority is surrounding him with as much talent and support as possible.

At this point, as a Jets fan, I believe it as well. Only question is, how good can Darnold become? Best QB in the league? Top 3? Top 5? Top 10?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Go Pack Go

(shame about the refs, but there've been some truly questionable calls that have gone against the Packers this year, so I guess I should just be happy we got one back?)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

We know we definitely have our QB going forward, finally after all these years. I just hope that Douglas, unlike Maccagnan, realizes the #1 priority is surrounding him with as much talent and support as possible.

IMO Douglass's main goal as far as the offensive side of things is concerned is to fortify the offensive line. I'd have no problem going into next year with what we have currently as far as skill positions. Sure I wouldn't mind if we were able to bring in a AJ Green if we could get him in FA but our main need is on the offensive line.

That said, Douglass absolutely has to draft some potential starters for the O-Line and also bring some offensive lineman via FA. And what's comforting is that I'm supremely confident he will do this as that's what he was able to do in Philly as he was Howie Roseman's main talent evaluator and he never neglected the O-line unlike Maccagnan who treated the O-line like it was the plague for some bizarre reason.

At this time next year it will be a completely different story here in Jetland as all Douglass needs is a full year to evaluate what we have currently, prepare for a draft and UFA and considering his pedigree having worked with Ozzie Newsome and Roseman, we should all be stoked that he will now be the one doing the shopping rather than the previoius "genius" GM we had in Maccagnon.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
At this point, as a Jets fan, I believe it as well. Only question is, how good can Darnold become? Best QB in the league? Top 3? Top 5? Top 10?

Currently right this moment, Darnold is probably around a Top 20ish QB in the league. By end of year, it wouldn't surpise me if he was considering our easy schedule going forward, sneaking into that 10-15 territory.

His ceiling could definitely approach the Top 10 neighborhood but that would take Douglass doing what needs to be done to improve the O-line and bringing in a top level WR as an AJ Green for example...something along those lines. Not sure Sam can be a Top 5 guy unless everything came together but Top 10 is certainly possible and good enough for us to become a playoff team and a threat to make some noise once we got there.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Currently right this moment, Darnold is probably around a Top 20ish QB in the league. By end of year, it wouldn't surpise me if he was considering our easy schedule going forward, sneaking into that 10-15 territory.

His ceiling could definitely approach the Top 10 neighborhood but that would take Douglass doing what needs to be done to improve the O-line and bringing in a top level WR as an AJ Green for example...something along those lines. Not sure Sam can be a Top 5 guy unless everything came together but Top 10 is certainly possible and good enough for us to become a playoff team and a threat to make some noise once we got there.

With Sams missed time, I’m only hoping that he can establish himself as a quality starter this year. I think he’s pretty much there, but we still have to see it over the course of a season. Anything beyond that is gravy at this point. I’m not sure what his career ceiling is but if he can develop into a top 10 QB then I’ll be thrilled.

As you stated... O-line should and most likely will the top goal of the offseason for Douglas. Corner and Edge are significant as well, but I wouldn’t mind our top 2 picks or 2 of our top 3 used to address O-line. I wouldn’t hate on a draft reminiscent of 2006 with guys like Ferguson and Mangold. Add a UFA or two and you have a core for many years. They used that formula to make 2 AFC championship games then inexplicably abandoned it. O-line made Sanchez serviceable and makes Dak look like a stud at times... would do wonders for Sam. More time, fewer hits, more confidence.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Reactions: ponzu4u

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

He has top 5 potential and I'm saying that as a Giants fan. The only thing which will stop him is plays like that red zone int. But he's smart, mobile, has a strong arm, can make all the tight throws.

Jun 16, 2015
I've just found out Sam Rosen is also a play-by-play commentator in Nfl at Fox. Since i haven't been a football fan until just now i had known him solely as our MSG announcer. He is also very good at announcing football so i'm looking forward to catch a few sunday games broadcasted by him.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I've just found out Sam Rosen is also a play-by-play commentator in Nfl at Fox. Since i haven't been a football fan until just now i had known him solely as our MSG announcer. He is also very good at announcing football so i'm looking forward to catch a few sunday games broadcasted by him.

That's why he doesn't do any of the weekend games during football season. He's good at it but it's kind of strange at the same time.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

they always give him the crappy games though.

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

He does a ton of Skins games, unfortunately.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He has top 5 potential and I'm saying that as a Giants fan. The only thing which will stop him is plays like that red zone int. But he's smart, mobile, has a strong arm, can make all the tight throws.

I'll tell ya what if Darnold does end up being a Top 5 QB it will have meant Douglass addressed the O-Line, Cornerback situation and the Edge Rusher position. So I'm with you that talent wise he might approach Top 5 status, I just think it's more realistic he ends up in that Top 10 area which is plenty good enough so long as those other areas are addressed which I'm confident Douglass will do within the next year or two max.

Speaking of your Gmen, I'm starting your guy Daniel Jones vs 'Zona in my my most important $$ league in which Winston is on a bye. I a good feelingot g about Jones on Sunday as Cards defense stinks and Gmen are getting back Saquon and Engram. I anticipate him having his best game since his ridiculous first game vs Bucs which he may never do again in his career. But I'll take 22-25 fantasy points from him.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I dunno my Jet brothers, I got this crazy feeling that the Jets are going to pull off the upset on Monday night vs Patriots. In the recent past before Rex and after he was here, Jets have given the Pats fits at Met Life.Even two years ago when we sucked even worse than last year, we gave them a tough game. If you go back to 2007, we've beaten them I believe 3-4 times but in pretty much every year, there has usually been one of the two games versus the evil empire where we scare the shit out of them and either have a chance to win and we choke or Brady pulls one of his last minute comebacks.

With Sam back and with Mosley likely back, this should be the best Jet team we've had since the Fitzmagic 2015 team which should have made the playoffs but as we know choked vs Rex and the Bills last game of the year. Now that we have a QB who knows what the f*** he's doing and now that Gase isn't moping anymore cause he doesn't have his #1 QB, he'll have some plays that could make hoodie confused. It's not like he hasn't beaten Billy boy before when he was in Miami with inferior talent than he has right now at his disposal.

And don't understate what the addition of Mosley means for the defense. Greg Williams has done a hell of a job making the right calls and making this defensive of ours viable and aggressive. I don't think Tommy Boy is going to be passing the ball all over Met Life unless he wants to be planted on the turf as Williams will be throwing the kitchen sink at him but in a controlled type of way.

Sure hoodie will have some sort of scheme waiting for Sam as well but I dunno, I just gotta feeling Monday night is a Le'Veon Bell night, Sam manages the game great and the defense keeps the Pats under control and we pull off the upset 21-20.

One more thing...how cool will it be that for the 2nd consecutive week on National TV, 90% of the country will be rooting for us and will be Jets fans vs the opposition at least for one night?.

Not sure I can ever recall that occurring but I'll take it. Should be a fun night....GO JETS!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->