OT: 2019 Football Thread: Free Agency and The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There was a ton made about Rosen's politics. Bosa's dog whistle Twitter nonsense is a big red flag, frankly.

:eyeroll:

All I know is that having another 3rd overall pick and likely coming away with Allen or Bosa this year combined with Darnold last year... is quite exciting. Actually feeling confident in the Jets future for the first time in a very long time.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

All I know is that having another 3rd overall pick and likely coming away with Allen or Bosa this year combined with Darnold last year... is quite exciting. Actually feeling confident in the Jets future for the first time in a very long time.

I'm sort of with you but I gotta admit this talk I'm hearing that Williams is enamored with Ed Oliver and that the Jets even if they don't trade down, will possibly take him at 3 overall and let either Q Williams and J Adams past them, is getting me a bit anxious as this is exactly what I was afraid of that we would get cute and not take that sure thing. Argggg...such it is being a longtime Jet fan at draft time.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm sort of with you but I gotta admit this talk I'm hearing that Williams is enamored with Ed Oliver and that the Jets even if they don't trade down, will possibly take him at 3 overall and let either Q Williams and J Adams past them, is getting me a bit anxious as this is exactly what I was afraid of that we would get cute and not take that sure thing. Argggg...such it is being a longtime Jet fan at draft time.

Ed Oliver is on the level of Q. Williams, and maybe even better just because he has more than one year of experience (unlike Williams).

And I think you meant Josh Allen, not J Adams?

I would be okay with Oliver at #3, he has a chance to be better than Bosa, Allen, and Williams.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
the giants should do things that are good on thursday and avoid things that are bad

pls trade up to 3 for Haskins. gives you a franchise QB, the jets some extra picks to still get an elite player at 6 and more pick(s) to bolster our OL (maybe take a McCoy at 17?).

But seriously... if I'm the Giants GM, I try everything to secure Rosen for a 2nd rounder. Personally, I'm in the "never ever draft a HB at #2" camp, but if Gettleman can get a top QB prospect only one year into his rookie deal because of a coaching change for only a 2nd rounder, it makes him look a lot smarter for drafting Saquon at 2. Would then be able to use 6+17+ other draft capital you'd save not trading up to address your other weaknesses. Could come out with White at 6 and Williams/Ford (or your choice of RT) at 17.

Go after that WR and your secondary the following off-season, and you got a squad.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I don't know why you're rolling your eyes at some pretty serious issues with Bosa that are finally beginning to impact him in the eyes of teams. Seems pretty ignorant to me, frankly. These are the types of issues that come back to bite people. If you're going to be an idiot, at least keep it off Twitter. I think he's probably learned a bit of a lesson through all of this, but to flatly dismiss it is as ignorant as it gets in a league that is 70-something percent African American.

I tend to think guys can change and I would like to think Bosa has done so - not for means of self-preservation, but because someone told him to knock it off and he realized he was being a prick. The problem is that stated reasoning doesn't make it seem that way.

Reactions: Matt4776

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes at some pretty serious issues with Bosa that are finally beginning to impact him in the eyes of teams. Seems pretty ignorant to me, frankly. These are the types of issues that come back to bite people. If you're going to be an idiot, at least keep it off Twitter. I think he's probably learned a bit of a lesson through all of this, but to flatly dismiss it is as ignorant as it gets in a league that is 70-something percent African American.

I tend to think guys can change and I would like to think Bosa has done so - not for means of self-preservation, but because someone told him to knock it off and he realized he was being a prick. The problem is that stated reasoning doesn't make it seem that way.

Just to add, with the history of the issues in the Jets locker room, I'd really prefer we stay away from guys that could cause potential problems.

I'm not going to get into a political argument, but I will say that what Bosa did should be concerning to teams when many of the issues he seems to stand against are ardently supported by most of the (African-American) players in the league.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just to add, with the history of the issues in the Jets locker room, I'd really prefer we stay away from guys that could cause potential problems.

I'm not going to get into a political argument, but I will say that what Bosa did should be concerning to teams when many of the issues he seems to stand against are ardently supported by most of the (African-American) players in the league.

Agreed. I unfortunately find his reason for deletion of the comments to be highly questionable as well. It is what it is and I do hope he learns from this and realizes what a tool he was. It's interesting since his brother seems to be a lot quieter.

With Gettleman's recent comments, I even wonder if the Giants would pass on him if he actually dropped as some are now predicting.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Agreed. I unfortunately find his reason for deletion of the comments to be highly questionable as well. It is what it is and I do hope he learns from this and realizes what a tool he was. It's interesting since his brother seems to be a lot quieter.

With Gettleman's recent comments, I even wonder if the Giants would pass on him if he actually dropped as some are now predicting.

I'm really conflicted as a Jets fan.

Q Williams is my favorite player in the draft. Full stop. If we're not trading down for the normal top-3 QB trade-up going rate (which is my #1 choice if the opportunity presents itself) I want Q. I think he's going to be the best player in the draft. Positional need be damned.

I'm starting to think that Murray and Q go 1/2, though. Then, assuming the Jets can't trade down, we're left with a choice between Bosa, Allen, and maybe Oliver. Oliver has a ridiculous ceiling, but the Jets have needed an EDGE since Abraham left for Atlanta. Initially, I'd be sick if we take ANOTHER IDL in the first round if its not Q. He'd be the 5th first round IDL the Jets have drafted since 2011.

In regards to Allen- his lack of refinement/pass rushing movies (despite being a senior) makes me a bit nervous. I want a true EDGE stud compared to an Anthony Barr-esque SAM/EDGE hybrid, which is the vibe I get watching Allen. Still a very good player, but not what the Jets need at 3, and unlikely to be the BPA at 3.

And then there's Bosa. Former consensus #1. Position of dire need for the Jets. A true student of the game and a technician. But, like you two noted, I'm worried about his effect on a room. Also some injury concerns in that whole family. And, I'm a Michigan alum, so **** him.

I'm not even sure what I'm going to be rooting for in that scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You know you've been living in Europe too long when you read Football and forget we're talking about the Jets and Giants.
My niece, who was born in and has so far grown up in London (she's 3), got into an argument with my daughter (4) yesterday when Ruby (her) said she wanted to play football and Abby (mine) wanted to play soccer. It was hilarious, Ruby with her Cockney-accented English pitching a fit about it being football and my daughter about to throw down over it being soccer. We explained the difference to them and all was well.

Anyway, Jets should trade back if they can get good value. If it's not good value just take Q.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My niece, who was born in and has so far grown up in London (she's 3), got into an argument with my daughter (4) yesterday when Ruby (her) said she wanted to play football and Abby (mine) wanted to play soccer. It was hilarious, Ruby with her Cockney-accented English pitching a fit about it being football and my daughter about to throw down over it being soccer. We explained the difference to them and all was well.

Anyway, Jets should trade back if they can get good value. If it's not good value just take Q.

Now that's adorable.

Reactions: NCRanger and nyr2k2

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I think you root for a trade-down.

That's my biggest wish no matter what. If we can get someone to pay the QB ransom to move up, I don't care who is on the board. I'm moving down.

I'm more nervous/unsure for the pick at 3 if we don't trade down.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's my biggest wish no matter what. If we can get someone to pay the QB ransom to move up, I don't care who is on the board. I'm moving down.

I'm more nervous/unsure for the pick at 3 if we don't trade down.

I think the Jets would be incredibly foolish to not trade down. You may not get a ransom with this year's QB class, but you should still get a very good haul.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I had a long response typed out, then I got distracted and closed the tab :laugh:

Long story short, I looked back at the football thread from last year. You didn't take issue or make the same comments about Rosen, who was just as outspoken. His beliefs are polar opposite of Bosa. This leads me to believe these comments are largely driven by personal belief. This leads me to my next point..

Bosa's comments are 100% fair game IF the discussion stays within the context of the draft, his potential to fall because of the comments and, potential impacts on the locker room. If the discussion becomes personal in anyway, it is going end there. We were able to keep the discussion regarding Josh Allen's tweets on point and and I am hopeful that we can keep the discussion similar regarding Bosa.

Reactions: bl02

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think the Jets would be incredibly foolish to not trade down. You may not get a ransom with this year's QB class, but you should still get a very good haul.
How far do you think we go down and what kind of haul?

My knowledge of NFL drafts is no where near what it is on an NHL level so I can't even imagine what a good haul looks like. :dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I had a long response typed out, then I got distracted and closed the tab :laugh:

Long story short, I looked back at the football thread from last year. You didn't take issue or make the same comments about Rosen, who was just as outspoken. His beliefs are polar opposite of Bosa. This leads me to believe these comments are largely driven by personal belief. This leads me to my next point..

Bosa's comments are 100% fair game IF the discussion stays within the context of the draft, his potential to fall because of the comments and, potential impacts on the locker room. If the discussion becomes personal in anyway, it is going end there. We were able to keep the discussion regarding Josh Allen's tweets on point and and I am hopeful that we can keep the discussion similar regarding Bosa.

I don't see as much issue with Rosen's comments since his were political in nature but not tinged with the dog-whistle pseudo-racism that Bosa's were. There's a major difference in the potential locker-room issues between the two guys. Rosen's issues would lead me to believe he'd clash with ownership if anyone. Not with his teammates. I can't see Rosen creating a locker-room issue. Bosa I can. So it sort of depends on how you want to view this. Can you really trust that Bosa is going to shut the f*** up and not piss off his teammates? I'd like to think you can because the guy is going to be around the culture that he's slammed in the past 24/7. It makes me wonder how his interviews went since only now is a lot of this coming to head. Curious how he came across.

It's a red flag for a reason. I like to think that Bosa can manage this and either change his tune or just keep quiet. You'd have to think he can. I really have no clue about his brother's leanings since he's basically just gone out there and played.

That's the main reason many of us find it odd that Rosen was singled out for this farrrrr before draft day but Bosa's issues are only now becoming a focus. It's strange timing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If someone offer their pick in the middle of the round, a second, and a third, or something like that, I'd sooner take Quinnen. I haven't looked at the draft value chart, or really given any consideration to who would be looking to move up or anything. I'm just saying, I don't want the Jets to paint themselves into a corner with the idea that they must trade down and get more assets, only to not get good value. Unless the value is very good, don't do it. Quinnen could be a huge value add himself.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

This sounds familiar. Incredibly irresponsible. If your kids keep this up you’re going to find several divisions of the Hessian army camping on your lawn.

They are very unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->