World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

Sep 19, 2008

Yeah, it was the most cringe thing I've ever watched.
Hey, Alex Morgan can shake that :eek::naughty::laugh: Seeing them all yell out profanities to Usher and Lil Jon rap songs in the locker room, drinking tons of free beer provided by Budweiser, was hilarious.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Why would USA be ahead of France?

The French men won the WC, were finalists in the Euro's so are comparable to the US Women's. The French women are a top 5 team in the World while the USMNT isn't remotely close.

Because France men have only won 2 WC. Their women never have. Best finish is 4th. They aren't a Top 5 women team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Because France men have only won 2 WC. Their women never have. Best finish is 4th. They aren't a Top 5 women team.

Only won 2 WC? That is pretty damn impressive.

Who are the 5 womens teams better than them? I don't follow the sport that closely but most seemed to have them as the 2nd best team behind the US at the Womens World Cup and it was because they had to face them so early that they went out.

I am also not sure why we are putting so much emphasis on the womens game when it has developed much more recently and has much less competition. The only reason to try and rate them as equal would to be to boost the US ranking.

Because there is no metric in the world that would have the US as a top 10 let alone top 3 football nation unless you severely over emphasize their womens team.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Only won 2 WC? That is pretty damn impressive.

Who are the 5 womens teams better than them? I don't follow the sport that closely but most seemed to have them as the 2nd best team behind the US at the Womens World Cup and it was because they had to face them so early that they went out.

I am also not sure why we are putting so much emphasis on the womens game when it has developed much more recently and has much less competition. The only reason to try and rate them as equal would to be to boost the US ranking.

Because there is no metric in the world that would have the US as a top 10 let alone top 3 football nation unless you severely over emphasize their womens team.

It's impressive but US women winning 4 out of 8 has to be equally impressive. That's domination. Top 3 women teams all time is USA, Germany, and Norway. France has a top 5 team right now but if we are talking all time.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's impressive but US women winning 4 out of 8 has to be equally impressive. That's domination. Top 3 women teams all time is USA, Germany, and Norway. France has a top 5 team right now but if we are talking all time.

Well if we are talking all time then the US mens team being a non-factor has to play a big role then. The French women might not have a long history of greatness but they are more impressive than the US mens team.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Well if we are talking all time then the US mens team being a non-factor has to play a big role then. The French women might not have a long history of greatness but they are more impressive than the US mens team.

US men finished 3rd once. 3 > 4. Women 4 > Their men 2. It's close I do value the men WC a tad more and their women are currently better than our men. Still giving the US slight edge for the womens domination.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
US men finished 3rd once. 3 > 4. Women 4 > Their men 2. It's close I do value the men WC a tad more and their women are currently better than our men. Still giving the US slight edge for the womens domination.

I think 2 mens WC considering the field is more impressive than 4 womens world cup.

And finishing 3rd in like 1930 doesn't mean a whole lot. Anyways you clearly have an objective here and want to overrate the US as a football nation.

There is not a chance it is a top 10 football country all-time, presently or at any point. It has a great womens team so congrats on that but overall no chance it is close to as good as you want to try and make it out to be.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wonder if there's any reason why both Canada and US have a women's soccer program that far outshines the men's teams.

US women, obviously atop the mountain right now but their men's team couldn't even qualify for the last WC.

Canadian women, usually top 5 or top 10 although they keep falling short on the grand stage. Our men's team, on the other hand, is only now showing signs of potential after 30+ years without a single World Cup game.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wonder if there's any reason why both Canada and US have a women's soccer program that far outshines the men's teams.

US women, obviously atop the mountain right now but their men's team couldn't even qualify for the last WC.

Canadian women, usually top 5 or top 10 although they keep falling short on the grand stage. Our men's team, on the other hand, is only now showing signs of potential after 30+ years without a single World Cup game.

It's fairly obvious. Hockey is way more funded, development is top of the line and most of the best athletes pick hockey. Canada's NT picks players based on physical attributes similar to other NA sports, however this just doesn't cut it in soccer. As all other nations are vastly superior in everything development, facilities, structure, coaching, and maybe most important an endless wave of players to choose from.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's fairly obvious. Hockey is way more funded, development is top of the line and most of the best athletes pick hockey. Canada's NT picks players based on physical attributes similar to other NA sports, however this just doesn't cut it in soccer. As all other nations are vastly superior in everything development, facilities, structure, coaching, and maybe most important an endless wave of players to choose from.

How does that explain why the women are so good, though?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

The reason is that compared to most other countries Canada and the US fund their womens programs from the youth level to the top level much more than other countries. Also I imagine that for some countries the US and Canada are much further ahead, and have been for a long time, in terms of opportunities for girls to play soccer at all. Its why China was able to become a top womens team and has done nothing in the mens game. I think it is also why we have seen European countries make such big strides lately as once they start spending more money on their programs from the ground level up they can start to match our success.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Finishing 4th at a reputable Women's World Cup> finishing 3rd at a farce of a tournament that was the 1930 World Cup. And they finished 3rd rather than 4th only due to goal difference.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Finishing 4th at a reputable Women's World Cup> finishing 3rd at a farce of a tournament that was the 1930 World Cup. And they finished 3rd rather than 4th only due to goal difference.

Yes, US men are a joke. France women have potential to be a top team but haven't shown it yet. I'm putting USA at 3rd ahead of France for the US women pure domination.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

I have a feeling that the NCAA does more for the women than it does for the men. There aren't many women academies at the moment and I think women players take longer to develop. Between both the American and Canadian team only 3 players skipped college to go professional, Pugh, Horan and Huitema. And when you look at the men's u-20 side it was the first time in a while (ever?) that it didn't have a single college player on the roster.

Reactions: Roman Fell

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The US and Canada both excel on the women's side because both their programs essentially began at the beginning of the sport at an international level and they are one of about a dozen countries who currently take the sports seriously (hopefully that changes).

Both the Men's sides did not really try to put together a real serious program until roughly 1990, roughly 50-60 years after most nations on the planet so they are both playing catch up. And of course the depth of competition in Men's International Soccer is far far greater.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Yes, US men are a joke. France women have potential to be a top team but haven't shown it yet. I'm putting USA at 3rd ahead of France for the US women pure domination.

If you ever go to a real football country, I suggest you don't try to tell the locals that USA is better than France at football. That is beyond delusional.

Sep 19, 2008

Wonder if any will speak afterwards at the end of the parade

Want to hear some fired up speeches

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I feel for whoever has to clean the ledges

D_HtBc7WwAA7DlK.jpg

Sep 19, 2008

They've been drinking all day on the buses during the parade. They are about to make speeches at City Hall. Then they're going to take a plane across the country to appear in LA for the Espy's. Talk about a whirlwind victory tour!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->