World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think JP Dellacamera is a pretty good commentator overall
He's kind of been the guy some of us grew up on. They've tried putting people ahead of him, but his is the more recognizable voice to me when I think of soccer broadcasting in the US, even though he's hasn't always held the top spot.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
First time I heard JP was in the 1996/97 champions league. If you close your eyes, it almost sounds like he’s calling a hockey game.

Sep 19, 2008
He's kind of been the guy some of us grew up on. They've tried putting people ahead of him, but his is the more recognizable voice to me when I think of soccer broadcasting in the US, even though he's hasn't always held the top spot.

He has called US Soccer for decades. He called the "Shot heard round the world" in 1989 which broke the 1960-1989 WC drought for the men's team.

Him and Ian Darke are synonymous with US national team commentary at least since 2010 (the Algeria goal)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
First time I heard JP was in the 1996/97 champions league. If you close your eyes, it almost sounds like he’s calling a hockey game.
He called Thrashers games for a time

Sep 19, 2008
JP used to call the World Juniors or IIHF hockey, one of them, back on NHL Network. Maybe it was the world juniors. It was the American feed. I like listening to Gord Miller and TSN do the games but JP is good too. Someone once said somewhere that he was kind of overrated as a broadcaster and I wouldn't agree on that.

Just finished watching the news and seeing what this USWNT team a continent away did for people, how proud it made people, how they became women for girls to look up to, and I couldn't help but stand up, on the verge of tears. I am very proud of what this team has accomplished and what they are fighting for. Equality. Equal pay. Respect. :cry:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps those who watch both equally can comment.
Oh when I brought this up I was told the women are "doing this more often" and was harassed by a flurry of downvotes :rolleyes:

"USA France" especially triggered those people

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
There was actually a touch more diving and play acting this time around than I’m used to for a women’s tournament, but the men definitely dive and flop a lot more.

Sep 19, 2008
Nothing in this tournament even came close to what Neymar does. "But he plays the game beautifully" Yeah he also dives and flops and acts like he's hit terribly at every slight strike :laugh:

You saw a little embellishment but not a lot of it this cup. In fact, this cup was pretty entertaining and I'm not even counting what the USA did. Netherlands qualified for only 2 cups and made the final? The comeback by Argentina over Scotland? Heck, I sat in front of my TV or computer and watched most of these games and it was a highly entertaining way to spend the last few weeks. Props to a great tournament.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Oh when I brought this up I was told the women are "doing this more often" and was harassed by a flurry of downvotes :rolleyes:

"USA France" especially triggered those people

Are those pay issues just amongst the US national team for the Men and Women? As well as the ratings and stuff?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still remember my first WWC game, I think it was the game where Wambach equalized late against Brazil and the USWNT pulled off an epic comeback.

I remember the 99ers and Chastain pulling her shirt off to celebrate (classless subbans!!!) but I did not really get into the WWC until around 2011. Ever since then I've been a very passionate and huge advocate for the women's game, so much that I'm one of the few here who actually visits them locally in the NWSL :laugh:

I forgot Ian Darke had that call too...Dellacamera's a fine announcer and is definitely more associated with US soccer but Darke's had a couple of the most memorable recent calls between that and the Landon Donovan goal against Algeria.

And Rapinoe making that cross in too is fitting.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The whole view of the USWNT as arrogant can be best summed up by this tweet from UK Independent football reporter Miguel Delaney:

The USWNT isn’t much liked by a lot of neutrals because it’s one of the first times a US team has dominated a truly international sport, bringing all the worst of the individualistic obnoxiousness of US sporting culture to truly international competition for a rare occasion.

And that’s half right.

There have been 14 tournaments for women’s national teams, 8 WWC, 6 Olympics. We have won 8 titles, more than the rest of the world combined. We’re the only team to finish top 3 in every WWC. We’ve been ranked 1 or 2 in every edition of the FIFA rankings. So yeah, the arrogance is there.

But the key to that tweet is: it’s one of the first times a US team has dominated. No, it’s been THIRTY YEARS. Delaney, Europe and elsewhere are JUST NOW NOTICING IT.

They’re watching the WWC for the first time, and seeing the US Monster in the room and they don’t like it. They expect the WWC to be like the Men’s: But the men have five different World Cup winners in the last seven tournaments, no one more than two. The German men can’t be arrogant because Brazil’s also won twice. The Brazilians can’t be arrogant because France has also won twice. There’s no men’s team that’s won 8 of the last 14; or 4 of the last 8. Everyone would hate that team, too.

For Brazil, Marta made an impassioned plea to the girls of Brazil that the future is on them. Because the women’s game in Brazil is an afterthought and it’s by the sheer volume of people in the country and INDIVIDUAL effort/commitment that they’ve been very good on the women’s side.
US Women’s sports have been federally mandated equal opportunities to play by Title IX since the 1970s.

For England, the last six or so years, the country has been falling in love with the Lionesses. It’s a “fatherly pride” type of thing between England and their women’s team. Our women fought that battle for respect in the 1990s.

Then in 1999, the WWC sold out 90,000 seat stadiums, and we won. The USWNT stopped being a cute little thing, and became “The program that produces our female warrior champions.” The team that succeeds where our men have failed. A team that today sold out the MEN’S “Four Star” WNT jerseys first (And is getting their second ticker tape parade down New York’s Canyon of Heroes on Wednesday).

Our women’s team has been decades ahead of the entire world this whole time. We act this way for two reasons:
1. Everyone let us, by not caring about their women’s teams until recently.
2. We know those days are OVER and this is our last chance to enjoy dominating women’s soccer.

We’re not cruising into the semis anymore. Spain in the Round of 16? That was an “old semifinal.” France, England and Netherlands was like playing 3 Finals in a row. Teams that controlled possession against us, and scared the crap out of us that we could very easily lose the match.

Now that the countries of Europe are investing, it’s only a matter of time before the flaws of the US development system become a problem for us in women’s soccer. We’ve lost 3 total matches to teams ranked outside the top 7 in the last 20 years. Going forward, the list of teams with “Top 7” quality is going to be 12, 16, 20, 24 teams. We’ll still be a contender for another 12-20 years, but we’re going to be among a group of eight contenders, rather than a pair or trio of contenders.

Our Women’s staff has been calling European teams “Sleeping Giants” for years. There’s going to be a lot of giants soon. We’re going to have everyone gunning for us and someone is going to dethrone the queen. And that’s progress. It’s growth of the game. It’s great. Everyone else needs to start working on their celebrations for game-winning goals against USA now. And come up with something good.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Congrats to USA who backed up their bravado and then some. Tonnes of progress from the other teams in the world too, in particular sides from '1st world' countries - though the teams from less prosperous nations still have a ways to go.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
The whole view of the USWNT as arrogant can be best summed up by this tweet from UK Independent football reporter Miguel Delaney:

The USWNT isn’t much liked by a lot of neutrals because it’s one of the first times a US team has dominated a truly international sport, bringing all the worst of the individualistic obnoxiousness of US sporting culture to truly international competition for a rare occasion.

So basketball doesn't count as a "truly international sport"? I guess football is the only sport in that category then. I thought basketball is truly international too but I guess I was wrong because USA is too good in basketball.

Are those pay issues just amongst the US national team for the Men and Women? As well as the ratings and stuff?

No. The disparity is even greater between women's club teams and men's club teams. Just like it's huge between NBA and WNBA, and between women's hockey and the NHL. Breanna Stewart should definitely get paid as much as Kevin Durant because reasons.

France, England and Netherlands was like playing 3 Finals in a row. Teams that controlled possession against us, and scared the crap out of us that we could very easily lose the match.

I only managed to catch highlights of the final. It looked like a very lopsided match where the USA had plenty of quality chances and the Netherlands had practically none. Was that not actually the case?

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
So basketball doesn't count as a "truly international sport"? I guess football is the only sport in that category then. I thought basketball is truly international too but I guess I was wrong because USA is too good in basketball.

I guess in that reporter's eyes, it's only soccer. Not basketball, or the Olympics, where the US has won 700 more medals than anyone else (although they might be counting USSR and Russia separately).

I only managed to catch highlights of the final. It looked like a very lopsided match where the USA had plenty of quality chances and the Netherlands had practically none. Was that not actually the case?

Yeah, the actual final wasn't as tough as England or France. But the Netherland's goalie was awesome and it was getting a little "we're still tied anything can happen" anxious until the PK.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
No. The disparity is even greater between women's club teams and men's club teams. Just like it's huge between NBA and WNBA, and between women's hockey and the NHL. Breanna Stewart should definitely get paid as much as Kevin Durant because reasons.

The equal pay thing is ONLY in comparison to the US Men, and likely only applies to the USWNT.

FIFA pays 93% of the prize money to men and only 7% to women.
In Europe and South America, the men’s team is a cultural institution with decades of rabid following and revenue generation, while FIFA women’s soccer is “new,” having just started in 1991, and only now is half of Europe starting to remotely care about women’s soccer.

But when FIFA started women’s soccer, no one in the USA cared about MEN’S SOCCER, EITHER!
- We made the World Cup for the first time in 40 years in 1990. Average TV households: 629,000

And that’s the difference: Our Men’s and Women’s team have grown in popularity, together. All the new US Soccer fans adopted the women’s team immediately because THEY ACTUALLY WIN:

US Soccer World Cup TV ratings for the last 2 World Cups:
Men average 8.15 million households (4 games)
Women average 7.3 million households (13 games)

Totals: Women 96m, Men 33m. That’s far more value for TV ad sales than the men’s team.

And that’s why it’s a huge deal in the US. The women are at worst like, a 53% men / 47% women divide in revenue and popularity. But US Soccer currently pays 73% and 27% (That’s 38 cents on the dollar instead of 90 cents).

Sep 19, 2008
D-8tgJKX4AICC7G.jpg:large

Reactions: Jack Straw

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
And that’s why it’s a huge deal in the US. The women are at worst like, a 53% men / 47% women divide in revenue and popularity. But US Soccer currently pays 73% and 27% (That’s 38 cents on the dollar instead of 90 cents).

I definitely think that's a solid reasoning for why the women should get paid way more for national team participation.

Do you think the amount of money paid to male and female players by their club teams should also be dictated by how much money they bring in for the team owners?

Sep 19, 2008
Someone posted a 3 minute compilation of the women in the locker room singing to Lil Jon and drinking budweisers. These girls know how to celebrate. :laugh: Sadly the videos have profanity because they're yelling along to rap so I can't post them here.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Someone posted a 3 minute compilation of the women in the locker room singing to Lil Jon and drinking budweisers. These girls know how to celebrate. :laugh: Sadly the videos have profanity because they're yelling along to rap so I can't post them here.

You would think there are better options than Budweiser in France.

Reactions: Nakawick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->