World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The one guy who defended Rakitic’s comments about not wanting to share the field with blacks and gays has the balls to call others out of touch.
Yeah, not what was done but as long as you can lie on the internet. Not overly surprising though, considering the source.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm so proud of this team. I love this team and there's a lot of players I'd like to give major props to. Ali Kreiger consistent starter this past decade up until after the olympics. Was exiled by Jill Ellis for no real reason and gets her first call up in 3 years this past April. Alyssa Naeher is no Hope Solo and everyone made sure to scream it to the skies this World Cup and she comes up big when her team needed her the most in the Semi-finals. Crystal Dunn plays as a winger/striker for her club and was only playing left back because we didn't have anybody else to play there and she was excellent throughout. Sam Mewis was not a starter on this team and she stepped up big when nobody expected her. Rose Lavelle has had huge troubles with her hamstring ever since she first got called up and I knew that she would be a difference if she remained healthy and now she can say she scored in a World Cup final.

As good as this team is, I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I knew this team was good, but a lot of other teams had made significant strides and I thought this team would struggle against teams that played a defensive game. And they blew it right out of the water. And everything was thrown at them from the media, the fans, the players, our own ****ing President and they took everything in stride and marched to their own tune. I could tell right from the beginning of this tournament that this team was different from 4 years ago and it wasn't just the personnel. Their attitude was that they were going their own way and they were going to win.

As for the rest of the teams, look at the growth of the quality of this tournament. A decade ago, Spain, Netherlands, England, Italy were nowhere to be found. Fast forward to this tournament, all of them made it into the knockout rounds and all the way to the finals. The growth of the women's game is incredible and the games that we played against were not cake walks. The quality of teams is only going to get better and I'm excited to see what the next world cup brings.

I'm just so proud of this team. Champions again.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm so proud of this team. I love this team and there's a lot of players I'd like to give major props to. Ali Kreiger consistent starter this past decade up until after the olympics. Was exiled by Jill Ellis for no real reason and gets her first call up in 3 years this past April. Alyssa Naeher is no Hope Solo and everyone made sure to scream it to the skies this World Cup and she comes up big when her team needed her the most in the Semi-finals. Crystal Dunn plays as a winger/striker for her club and was only playing left back because we didn't have anybody else to play there and she was excellent throughout. Sam Mewis was not a starter on this team and she stepped up big when nobody expected her. Rose Lavelle has had huge troubles with her hamstring ever since she first got called up and I knew that she would be a difference if she remained healthy and now she can say she scored in a World Cup final.

As good as this team is, I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I knew this team was good, but a lot of other teams had made significant strides and I thought this team would struggle against teams that played a defensive game. And they blew it right out of the water. And everything was thrown at them from the media, the fans, the players, our own ****ing President and they took everything in stride and marched to their own tune. I could tell right from the beginning of this tournament that this team was different from 4 years ago and it wasn't just the personnel. Their attitude was that they were going their own way and they were going to win.

As for the rest of the teams, look at the growth of the quality of this tournament. A decade ago, Spain, Netherlands, England, Italy were nowhere to be found. Fast forward to this tournament, all of them made it into the knockout rounds and all the way to the finals. The growth of the women's game is incredible and the games that we played against were not cake walks. The quality of teams is only going to get better and I'm excited to see what the next world cup brings.

USA womans soccer is a great dynasty. They've been dominating since Mia Ham

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I’ve been in love with the USWNT since the first World Cup in 1991. From Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain up to today, they’ve been an inspiration and great embassadors for the development of women’s sports. Congratulations to all the teams, great World Cup and it will only get better with the years.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Very well said. :thumbu:

Sep 19, 2008
USA womans soccer is a great dynasty. They've been dominating since Mia Ham
No they have not. Their title in 2015 was the first in a while. They had a strong showing in 2011 but lost to Japan in PK's.

Although the US has been undefeated in Group play, there was a period of time between the 99ers and 2015 where the team didn't win a title. ( 3 tournaments, Germany won two in a row, then Japan upset the US in PKs)

Sep 19, 2008
I’ve been in love with the USWNT since the first World Cup in 1991. From Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain up to today, they’ve been an inspiration and great embassadors for the development of women’s sports. Congratulations to all the teams, great World Cup and it will only get better with the years.

I still remember my first WWC game, I think it was the game where Wambach equalized late against Brazil and the USWNT pulled off an epic comeback.

I remember the 99ers and Chastain pulling her shirt off to celebrate (classless subbans!!!) but I did not really get into the WWC until around 2011. Ever since then I've been a very passionate and huge advocate for the women's game, so much that I'm one of the few here who actually visits them locally in the NWSL :laugh:

Reactions: Jack Straw

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As far as pick up games go, you don’t need a full soccer field with full sized goals to play. Brazilian men’s soccer for example has always been known to develop stars who grew up playing in the streets or in parks with makeshift nets.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
As far as pick up games go, you don’t need a full soccer field with full sized goals to play. Brazilian men’s soccer for example has always been known to develop stars who grew up playing in the streets or in parks with makeshift nets.

Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one’s gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don’t quote me on that. Marvellous.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Well done USA.

Also, is it me, or was there hardly any diving in this tournament? Maybe not even this tournament, but in the women's game in general? Granted, I didn't get to see the Final, so I don't know what led to the Rapinoe PK, but I watched a fair bit of this tournament and didn't see any thing where I suspected it to be a dive. Anyone that went down seemed to be the result of a hard fought battle, IMO.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
No doubt the best team won, or that the penalty decision was correct (there was a similar high boot in the first half, I think, that went unpunished). And if the game wasn't a classic, I still found it more interesting than the Champions League final.

Easy to say with hindsight, but I think the Dutch's 4-2-3-1 erred excessively on the side of defence - Van de Donk ended up doing too much running in her own half, so that by the time they were asking her to push forwards she was tired and ragged. Their keeper was brilliant, and I'm glad she didn't end up picking the ball out of her own net as many times as she might after they went 2-0 down and adopted that misbegotten shape.

Lavelle's goal was marvellously taken, even if it regrettably killed the contest. It was interesting to hear the BBC commentator claim that standards were greatly higher in this tournament than 2015 - I can't comment, because the last time I watched a major women's tourney the lack of quality combined with the relentless attempts to talk up the least bit of competence wore down my patience. While admittedly I didn't see as many games as I'd have liked, I really enjoyed what I saw, and health and happiness allowing I'll be happy to tune into the 2021 Euros and 2023 Worlds.

Reactions: sabremike

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Well done USA.

Also, is it me, or was there hardly any diving in this tournament? Maybe not even this tournament, but in the women's game in general? Granted, I didn't get to see the Final, so I don't know what led to the Rapinoe PK, but I watched a fair bit of this tournament and didn't see any thing where I suspected it to be a dive. Anyone that went down seemed to be the result of a hard fought battle, IMO.

Not in the games I saw. Nor was there a lot of what I'd call systematic fouling.

Mind, I only watched a small proportion of the fixtures. But if that's the general experience of others, I'd suggest it's more than a coincidence that less defensive cynicism was matched by a reduction in attacking cynicism.

Reactions: sabremike

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

As one Ron Manager said: Schoolboys in the park, jumpers for goal posts, accidentally kicking the ball in dog turd, then making your friend head the ball. Marvelous.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ask most people and that’s the case.
Do you think that kids who play in non 1st world nations mostly play on full fields with fully erected goals?

You put two shirts down on any road or in any park. Boom. That’s one net. This is how the majority of the world plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->