World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
2nd half of the first half I thought China looked better but Italy looks better at the start of the 2nd half

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Italy are a good team. Like Spain they're not maybe at the top but they're dangerous and play very nicely. Outside of the top 3 European teams (for me Germany, France, Netherlands in no particular order) there's a really strong group forming including teams like Norway, Spain, England (probably best of the rest ATM), Italy and Sweden to an extent.

Reactions: Tryamw

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Let's go Leeuwinnen! Tough game but very winnable.

Also worth noting is that the last time these two played a competitive match in the Algarve cup the Dutch won 6 - 2...should be a very exciting game, and Japan will have something to prove.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So, the Olympics qualification: If Netherlands wins, 7 out of 8 teams in the quarterfinals will be Euro teams. The 3 best goes to the Olympics... If France loses to USA, they will also lose out on the Olympics... Spain was beaten out of the Olympics in a tight match by USA...

It is so appalling.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So, the Olympics qualification: If Netherlands wins, 7 out of 8 teams in the quarterfinals will be Euro teams. The 3 best goes to the Olympics... If France loses to USA, they will also lose out on the Olympics... Spain was beaten out of the Olympics in a tight match by USA...

It is so appalling.

This is being brought up every page now so I have to ask...... Do people not realize this is how it is, and how it's been? The men's is the same? Is this news to people?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

It is so appalling.
Yeah this is pretty harsh. It's entirely possible (if not probable) that the semifinals will have 4 European teams, but it is what it is.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
This is being brought up every page now so I have to ask...... Do people not realize this is how it is, and how it's been? The men's is the same? Is this news to people?

The mens olympics is not a full competition.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Can someone please explain to me how Asia gets FIVE teams into the WWC?

Outside of Australia (who qualifies there), and Japan, the other three Asian teams were mediocre at best to outright embarrassments at worst.

I want to support women's football (my daughter plays, I coach), but this tournament has not shown a whole lot of improvement over the quality of play (outside of some of the European teams) that I saw in 2015. In some ways, some countries have seriously regressed.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Outside of Australia (who qualifies there), and Japan, the other three Asian teams were mediocre at best to outright embarrassments at worst.

I want to support women's football (my daughter plays, I coach), but this tournament has not shown a whole lot of improvement over the quality of play (outside of some of the European teams) that I saw in 2015. In some ways, some countries have seriously regressed.

North Korea, South Korea, and China are all top 20 teams.

The competition has gotten markedly better over the years. There are a lot more teams that are real good now.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017

I'm OK with Asia getting five teams out of 24, Asia has more than half of the worlds population. With as many as 24 teams in the tournament, you can have some slack. Also, it is technically 4 spots, as Australia got the fifth there.

My issue is with the olympics: just 12 teams, and then you have to be harder on actually picking the best nations. The main issue is it's probably just to few nations.

Womens olympics has been supposed to actually be a best-on-best, unlike the mens tournament.

Either they add some teams, and up it to 16, or I will be grumbling about it...

(I'm a Norwegian, we got a good deal. So it's not really a sore loser talking here, not yet. If USA is so kind to beat France, we "just" have to beat England- a much better deal than, say, Spain. If we can't beat England, that's a somewhat fair way of losing out at least.)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is there any chance Ada changes her mind and starts playing for Norway? They're already incredibly good without her I have to imagine she would make them better.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Is there any chance Ada changes her mind and starts playing for Norway? They're already incredibly good without her I have to imagine she would make them better.

I have no sources what-so-ever.

First, Saudi-Arabia will win the world championship in hockey.

For women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad