Nigeria v Senegal
Japan v South Korea
France v USA
Argentina v Mali

Reactions: Roman Fell

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Damn Portugal really crashed out huh. Argentina were poor last game defensively in shambles but without Perez I can see why. That guy is a stud.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Damn Portugal really crashed out huh. Argentina were poor last game defensively in shambles but without Perez I can see why. That guy is a stud.
For me the best Argentine player, at least in the games I’ve watched has been Gaich.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
meh. if u wanna be the last one standing, u gotta go through everyone.

I don't get the US fans' overreactions to these tournaments where it's mostly a 'disaster' if they don't make a run

Don't get me wrong, results are nice but its more important to develop at least a handful of good players each cycle for the senior NT and to develop a style of play (what's the point of winning a youth WC if you park the bus each match and get lucky?). How many times have these African sides gone to the SFs at the U17s and U20s and they still have accomplished little at the World Cup stage. Speaking as a fan of the Croatia NT, the generation which played in the 2018 WC, the majority have never played in a youth WC or even a youth Euro (Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic etc..), in fact they were frequently knocked out in the qualifiers. Basically its not the be all end all

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
HE only started one game and has looked good but his finishing is concerning. Still Perez is what holds the team together.
Ya. He started the 2nd game vs Portugal and rested (with a lot of regulars) for the 3rd game when they had qualification in the bag.

I do think he was the most dangerous vs Portugal but most impressive was the opener where he came on when it was a 1-1 tie with South Africa and completely changed the tide of the game and added a much needed spark spurring then onto the 5-2 win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't get the US fans' overreactions to these tournaments where it's mostly a 'disaster' if they don't make a run

Don't get me wrong, results are nice but its more important to develop at least a handful of good players each cycle for the senior NT and to develop a style of play (what's the point of winning a youth WC if you park the bus each match and get lucky?). How many times have these African sides gone to the SFs at the U17s and U20s and they still have accomplished little at the World Cup stage. Speaking as a fan of the Croatia NT, the generation which played in the 2018 WC, the majority have never played in a youth WC or even a youth Euro (Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic etc..), in fact they were frequently knocked out in the qualifiers. Basically its not the be all end all

Its both. You want to play well at these tournaments, and develop good players.

This team hasn't played as well as most expected, and I think we're going to lose to France. There have been less than a handful of American players who've helped their stock at this tournament.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
these toulon tournament games are so dull. games are played at a snails pace. switched to the u20 italy poland game and the intensity and atmosphere is just so much better

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Difference between a bonfide friendly and a real competition. Same thing with League of Nations vs EC.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Difference between a bonfide friendly and a real competition. Same thing with League of Nations vs EC.
meh. its a youth competition and toulon has a reputation as a prestigious tournament. it was only a france game i was watching, so its not like it was a couple random small teams squaring off in south france.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, but the Toulon tournament has suffered from the competition of EC and WC youth competitions.
They're friendlies now really.
The best players usually play the EC and WC (though Taoui is a fantastic prospect).

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Yeah, but the Toulon tournament has suffered from the competition of EC and WC youth competitions.
They're friendlies now really.
The best players usually play the EC and WC (though Taoui is a fantastic prospect).
france were pretty unimpressive. no idea who would have been playing for both france and qatar since both are in the u20 WC. wish they would standardize the age group so u dont see u-18 teams playing u21 teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, there are too many competitions this summer. U17 EC, U20 WC, U19 EC... Toulon tournament has trouble existing those years.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Brazil sent their u23 squad to Toulon for the first time in a long time. They usually go with a u19 team, this time is preparation for the Olympics.

Starting 11 looks promissing:

Ivan - Ponte Preta
Emerson - Betis
Lyanco - Bologna
Murilo - Cruzeiro
Iago - Internacional

Douglas Luiz - Man City
Matheus Henrique - Grêmio
Pedrinho - Corinthians

Antony - Sao Paulo
Bruno Tabata - Portimonense
Pedro - Fluminense

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Colombia beat New Zealand on penalty kicks but credit to New Zealand, they had a solid tournament and looked competitive for once. Its a long way away but in 2026 OFC will have an automatic spot and most of these guys will be in their prime years, however its tough for NZL to develop much being in their confederations and reading some articles about the Boyd switch they barely play friendly matches too

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
new zealand was very good. that penalty kick that was ordered to be retaken by the ref was nonsense. keeper wasnt off the line.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ya. He started the 2nd game vs Portugal and rested (with a lot of regulars) for the 3rd game when they had qualification in the bag.

I do think he was the most dangerous vs Portugal but most impressive was the opener where he came on when it was a 1-1 tie with South Africa and completely changed the tide of the game and added a much needed spark spurring then onto the 5-2 win.

He's been good for sure.

His shooting blows.

He needs to clean that up otherwise he won't amount to much. Can't have a 9 with that poor of finishing.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Name a more common combination than Portugal as overwhelming favourites, and crushing disappointment?

Ridiculous performance on every level from a team that had players dominate at a high level for really good teams.

Hopefully this grounds everyone and allows not only the federation internally reflect on what went wrong and how to fix, but also the players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->