Euro: 2019 Europa League Finals:

Who takes home the trophy?

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
From an outsiders perspective the difference is ownership and directors of football.
There’s like six Avs fans here so they can comment on Kroenke, but it’s hard to defend him. He’s a two face owner, he’s so good with the Nuggets and Avs and just completely distant with Arsenal. And it’s not like he’s at our (Av) games either, he has his Rhode Island Ranch in Texas. But there is just a weird vibe with him when it comes to football.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
There’s like six Avs fans here so they can comment on Kroenke, but it’s hard to defend him. He’s a two face owner, he’s so good with the Nuggets and Avs and just completely distant with Arsenal. And it’s not like he’s at our (Av) games either, he has his Rhode Island Ranch in Texas. But there is just a weird vibe with him when it comes to football.

He's good with the Rams as well. Well, since the move to LA.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
From an outsiders perspective the difference is ownership and directors of football.

Well, here's what happened that people don't seem to be aware of. Arsenal's transfer policy last summer was based on statistics the same way Liverpool's and City's plans were almost entirely based on statistics, this is what Mislintat wanted to do. Robertson, for example, was chosen by these stats. Even though City and Liverpool have targeted great players, these decisions are made by computer models, and Arsenal had their own model. That's why they signed Guendouzi and Torreira. That's also why they signed Lichtsteiner but that was because he was the best free right back their statistics could pick for them. Not much to choose from in the first place.

Then they hired someone from Barcelona and made him boss of Mislintat. Sanllehi apparently believes in the old school, eye test and scouting transfer policy. So, Mislintat quit and now they're back to doing what the team would have done ten years ago before analytics, which is why Edu was chosen to do that job. I don't know what to expect from a club that radically shifts their ideas over and over again in such a short span of time. It would seem to be difficult to create a cohesive team, and the point of using statistics to sign players was so that they can pick 11 players who all play in a way that works cohesively. So, Torreira and Guendouzi were signed to play with certain kinds of players that would be signed this summer and now that will not happen. I don't really know what to make of that.

I have no idea if their current boss is qualified or not, but they need to pick something and stick to it. Is he capable of signing players from other teams that aren't simply the most flashy name put down on paper? No clue.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Thank you Eden...watched you at Lille and you have been a pleasure to have at Chelsea. All the best.

Not sure what is next for Chelsea...Hazard is going to be impossible to replace right away...

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
From an outsiders perspective the difference is ownership

This answers so many questions in sports, yet is criminally undiscussed.

It's not a coincidence at all that Liverpool's turnaround began when their current ownership took over. Just like it's no coincidence United are where they're at under the Glazers. Or Golden State suddenly becoming a dynasty after being a laughing stock of the NBA for two decades. Or even the Clippers who are now regarded as one of the best-run franchises in the league, once they booted the racist out. Hell, look at the Leafs once they finally got good ownership.

Fergie hid it extremely well, Lebron took the Cavs to 4 straight finals, but there's no running from sh** ownership. Eventually, it will always screw you.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Well, here's what happened that people don't seem to be aware of. Arsenal's transfer policy last summer was based on statistics the same way Liverpool's and City's plans were almost entirely based on statistics, this is what Mislintat wanted to do. Robertson, for example, was chosen by these stats. Even though City and Liverpool have targeted great players, these decisions are made by computer models, and Arsenal had their own model. That's why they signed Guendouzi and Torreira. That's also why they signed Lichtsteiner but that was because he was the best free right back their statistics could pick for them. Not much to choose from in the first place.

Then they hired someone from Barcelona and made him boss of Mislintat. Sanllehi apparently believes in the old school, eye test and scouting transfer policy. So, Mislintat quit and now they're back to doing what the team would have done ten years ago before analytics, which is why Edu was chosen to do that job. I don't know what to expect from a club that radically shifts their ideas over and over again in such a short span of time. It would seem to be difficult to create a cohesive team, and the point of using statistics to sign players was so that they can pick 11 players who all play in a way that works cohesively. So, Torreira and Guendouzi were signed to play with certain kinds of players that would be signed this summer and now that will not happen. I don't really know what to make of that.

I have no idea if their current boss is qualified or not, but they need to pick something and stick to it. Is he capable of signing players from other teams that aren't simply the most flashy name put down on paper? No clue.

Arsenal does use analytics for their signings. Look up StatDNA. The problem is that signings based on using that has failed.

The problem with Mislintat was that he was promised to be a technical director by the bald fraud but he wasn't seen as capable of being a technical director, which is different than a head recruiter. I mean he's pretty good at picking signings but is he someone that implements a vision and culture for a team? Why is it that he had to end up at Stuttgart when there are other teams that are looking for Technical Directors?

For now I'm not really concerned at the management level. Need to wait to see what happens during the transfer window. I do like that most of the players linked are young and promising players.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
DT almost always cracks me up. "I've kept my calm all season" ... lol, somehow I really doubt that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Arsenal does use analytics for their signings. Look up StatDNA. The problem is that signings based on using that has failed.

Their statistical model was completely wrong then. Merely having the stats does not mean someone has the capability to use them properly or to program into their model an ability to judge players playing in different countries or on different teams. There is a hell of a lot that goes into this and if someone is ignoring factors, like clearly Liverpool with Comolli and Arsenal with Wenger were, it's not going to go very well.

The problem with Mislintat was that he was promised to be a technical director by the bald fraud but he wasn't seen as capable of being a technical director, which is different than a head recruiter. I mean he's pretty good at picking signings but is he someone that implements a vision and culture for a team? Why is it that he had to end up at Stuttgart when there are other teams that are looking for Technical Directors?

Almost everyone Mislintat picked is pretty good so I'm a little confused by this. The manager's job is to pick the style of play and the technical director is supposed to pick players who fit into that. He has picked more good players in his time than almost everyone in world football, so again I'm a little confused. As for Stuttgart, seems pretty clear that he decided to come back to Germany instead of staying abroad.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
DT almost always cracks me up. "I've kept my calm all season" ... lol, somehow I really doubt that.

He actually has been decently positive this season....well up until the last 6 weeks of the season.

I cannot imagine what these guys will be like if Spurs go on to win Saturday, they may explode!

Reactions: Il Mediano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope Hazard takes his form from this season and keeps it wherever he goes. Absolutely phenomenal year from him and really should have been in the team of the season and top 3 PotY imo. In his prime now so hopefully that keeps him a little more consistent.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
He actually has been decently positive this season....well up until the last 6 weeks of the season.

I cannot imagine what these guys will be like if Spurs go on to win Saturday, they may explode!

Mo is easily my favorite one. You don't get the same entertainment, but he knows what he's talking about.

I dunno man, I get the frustration, but in my pre-season prediction, I had Arsenal 6th place. It sucks to lose the EL final and CL, but I didn't even expect that. Chelsea is simply better than you guys, and I don't even think they're that impressive.

I was really interested in the Mislintat and Emery appointments, but now one of them is gone, and I dunno what the direction is. We shall find out, but if they're wise, it should be an overhaul predicated on youth.

This was always going to be a huge undertaking to get Arsenal back to being where supporters feel they "belong".

I don't see the point in freaking out every step of the way. You guys fell behind the pack, and now your miles away.

That's just the reality of the situation.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ï don't think it's entirely about freaking out. I think most fans were resigned to the fact it was going to take some time, but the frustration is justified in that it looked for a minute (as you outlined) as if there were moves in the right direction, and now they're regressing again, in many ways undoing any progress that was being made. I think as a fan you can get a little outraged at that.

Reactions: S E P H

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Plus that performance was trash for real. First half they had some life, at best 50-50 though, second half they had nothing and that's not really acceptable.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their statistical model was completely wrong then. Merely having the stats does not mean someone has the capability to use them properly or to program into their model an ability to judge players playing in different countries or on different teams. There is a hell of a lot that goes into this and if someone is ignoring factors, like clearly Liverpool with Comolli and Arsenal with Wenger were, it's not going to go very well.

Almost everyone Mislintat picked is pretty good so I'm a little confused by this. The manager's job is to pick the style of play and the technical director is supposed to pick players who fit into that. He has picked more good players in his time than almost everyone in world football, so again I'm a little confused. As for Stuttgart, seems pretty clear that he decided to come back to Germany instead of staying abroad.

In Stuttgart for what it's worth, they'll probably hand him the keys and say, go to it. There's no real manager conflict, there's no board to please (well, there is, but just not being awful will be a positive) and he doesn't have to play power politics within the management structure. Hitzlsperger is there, but odds are he's more open to his style, and I would expect him to defer to Mislintat even if he stays on. If he went to bigger club, he might have other voices to listen to, or even be under.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Garbage. **** this team. If spurs win final i think im gonna stop following for a while Lol.

Chelsea have eclipsed Arsenal as a bigger team.
Since 2005 Chelsea have how many EPL CL EUROPA titles and how many for Arsenal?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't see the point in freaking out every step of the way. You guys fell behind the pack, and now your miles away.

That's just the reality of the situation.

I get it. It has been a long down fall and along most of the way fans new it was coming. It's just frustrating watching the team slip into mediocrity with no sign of bigger investments coming from ownership.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Garbage. **** this team. If spurs win final i think im gonna stop following for a while Lol.

Chelsea have eclipsed Arsenal as a bigger team.

Yeah it may be due time for football hibernation. I just think the next year is going to be more painful; Arsenal stagnates and Unai is sent packing, and then in Brighton Potter doesn't get the team going and they are relegated. These are my post painful season predictions, hopefully I'm wrong on all accounts!

For now I'll just support Forge in Canada cause they seem to win consistently.... ;)

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

In case you want more...

I believe these people are angry. haha

Thanks for posting these videos.

I understand how they feel as a sports fans, habs fan, and a Juve in a CL final fan. Years of mediocrity and disappointment. I laughed extremely hard when that ex Arsenal player, the drunk one(forgot his name0 said Ramsey made a huge mistake signing Juventus because Juventus is nowhere near as big as a club as Arsenal.

Reactions: robertmac43

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Every 50/50 ball he loses. Every time he loses the ball he gives up. His body language is absolutely terrible out there.

One of the worst players who had some talent I've ever seen in any sport. I might boycott if he's still in an Arsenal kit next season. I can't believe people here have defended him in the past.

You can say that a million times. Being mediocre is worst than actually being truly bad.

Meh, Lacazette went down easy all game long too. He was looking for contact on the Kepa challenge and it would've been a free goal if he stayed on his feet.
You can thank Wenger and Ivan for that.

Not people. It was mostly @cgf who has an unhealthy and stupid obsession with him (which is cgf in a nutshell but still). But yeah. He called him a german football legend and one of the best players of our time 12 months or so ago :D.
But yeah. Ozil was amazing with Germany at the WC and it totally had nothing to do with him stinking up the place (he was not alone on that one but still) that we crashed hard.

Mesut is the most overrated player of our generation and I really don't see anyone taking him off your hands unless Erdogan does him a favor (doubt that but who knows). His wages are just too high and his performances too horrible for any serious club to take that chance.

He is your Bale or Sanchez. Unless he is willing to go to China or the USA (don't really think he will do that either), you are probably stuck with him...

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->