2019 Entry Draft Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
It's a tough thing too because he's played with men all year, so you go back to the junior game and players tend to struggle with that. Is he behind the play or is he used to the pro game and having an adjustment back to this less structured style?

Hard to say. But for me he's got so many tools that I want to develop this player.
It's a fair argument, some players automatically fair better with a structured game which may be why he seemed a bit lost. Certainly an interesting project to keep an eye on.
There are so many guys in that next group of players that there are going to be some excellent options with our 2nds.
I'm really hoping for a defenseman in the second round. Constantinou and Spence are my current favourites. They both shoot right but I have them both far ahead of where they're supposedly going to go and would be ecstatic to have them on draft day + 1.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
Exactly what Ive been saying for a while now.

I have a hard time deciding who's the better "Buzzsaw manlet" Robertson, Brink, Rees, Krebs, Caufield, Cajkovic, heck, even Pitlick. I have a really hard time ranking them.

Also, I don't even know if Zegras is better than any of them. Caufield is outproducing him on the same team, but is he better or not ? Hard to say.

Krebs is definitely bigger than the rest

Reactions: S Bah

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not bad value in the mid to late first, but Caulfield and Newhook are going to be gamebreakers.

I mean, Judd is a good banger but gamebreaker?

Obviously ball busting, but this isn't really the issue. I love Caufield and Newhook and they absolutely have the potential to f*** shit up for any team and my rankings of them reflect that. That doesn't make Brink a tweener though. He's going to score poorly on ''traits over stats,'' because he really only has the one trait: smarter than everyone else. Stats have a funny way of communicating that.

Only 3 teams managed to keep Brink off the score sheet during the entire season. With and without Pospisil. He finished 4th in USHL scoring despite playing 19 fewer games than those in front of him. 2nd in USHL goal scoring with 35 in 43 games. Higher USHL PPG than Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield. Only Caufield had a higher GPG.

Yoshidas Island

Jan 2, 2015
I mean, Judd is a good banger but gamebreaker?

Obviously ball busting, but this isn't really the issue. I love Caufield and Newhook and they absolutely have the potential to **** **** up for any team and my rankings of them reflect that. That doesn't make Brink a tweener though. He's going to score poorly on ''traits over stats,'' because he really only has the one trait: smarter than everyone else. Stats have a funny way of communicating that.

Only 3 teams managed to keep Brink off the score sheet during the entire season. With and without Pospisil. He finished 4th in USHL scoring despite playing 19 fewer games than those in front of him. 2nd in USHL goal scoring with 35 in 43 games. Higher USHL PPG than Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield. Only Caufield had a higher GPG.
Any recommendations for specific Brink games?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There are so many guys in that next group of players that there are going to be some excellent options with our 2nds.

hahahaha it's funny I've heard what feels like 15 different names that 'they're not gonna be there for our 2nd.' It sounds like there will be someone decent for our 2 2nds. I hope we swing for the fences on all these picks. The pool is deep enough with solid talent that we can definitely be daring. The more I hear about Dorofoyev the more I like. He just seems too far off the radar though for me to think we'll pick him. The last 2 (even 3) drafts have almost restored my faith in whoever we pick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
hahahaha it's funny I've heard what feels like 15 different names that 'they're not gonna be there for our 2nd.' It sounds like there will be someone decent for our 2 2nds. I hope we swing for the fences on all these picks. The pool is deep enough with solid talent that we can definitely be daring. The more I hear about Dorofoyev the more I like. He just seems too far off the radar though for me to think we'll pick him. The last 2 (even 3) drafts have almost restored my faith in whoever we pick.
Romanov gives me faith in Dorofeyev.

Anyway I agree with the swinging for the fences thing, this team has mega depth.

With the way Krebs protects the puck it's a complete non-issue
And it's a non-issue for Rees, Cajkovic, Robertson and Zegras. The point wasn't about the ability their size had, it was about lumping a group of players together that had similar characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watching Dorofeyev play is like watching me play NHL 2018 with all the CPU sliders to the left. Crazy how easy it is for him to cut to the middle and get an angle on the goalie, which he beats with ridiculous efficiency.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I was expecting a lot more improvement on Hughes ability to shoot this year. 1st OAs are typically better shooters.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Everytime I watched Dorofeyev he's doing tap-in on different zones... Stand out on being discrete on his displacements. Without alerting where he's. Shows an calm temperament. An shooting of quality and efficacity on net.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
lol actually though.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Romanov gives me faith in Dorofeyev.

Anyway I agree with the swinging for the fences thing, this team has mega depth.

I was actually thinking that too. For going 'off the board' as well as taking a Russian when some have thought we've given up on Russians en masse.

Really depends on who's there at 15 I guess but he does feel like the home run swings. There's probably quite a few home run swings but the more I hear the Radulov/Kovalev comparisons the more I'm sold. I seen a bit of that myself.

It would really suck to miss when it seems like there's so many good options. I don't mind swinging for the fences and striking out if there isn't much exciting where we pick but it doesn't seem like that's going to be the case. Not at all.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Everytime I watched Dorofeyev he's doing tap-in on different zones... Stand out on being discrete on his displacements. Without alerting where he's. Shows an calm temperament. An shooting of quality and efficacity on net.

I watch some clips of this kid today. He has some skill for sure. Man he really resembles Kovalev out there. Hard to get a read on him in what I viewed because it was the MHL and pretty soft defensive play and the bigger ice surface.

Yoshidas Island

Jan 2, 2015
There's a really great Scouching video on Pavel Dorofeyev that I'd recommend to anyone and everyone. He thinks Dorofeyev needs to work on top end speed and overall implying himself more to be successful.
Not sure what the rules are on posting links but if it's not ok feel free to remove link.
He also does one on more including Bobby Brink, with a hilarious intro.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Krebs is definitely bigger than the rest
Rees ain't that small

This is said every year, and every year a few of them make it there. Dorofeyev shouldn't be there. But some NHL scouts are stupid so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->