2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Just watched Cozens vs Krebs and Dach vs Robertson today. Does anyone here think that Cozens is a future 1C?

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
Based on the (continued) success of the team this year and the need to acquire LHD talent or defensive talent period, and assuming the top picks of P. Broberg, B. Byram and M. Robertson are already off the board ,would a combination of A.Vlasic, T. Bjornfot, M. Has, A. Honka , and S. Boluc be considered a success?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think he has as much of a chance as Dach. If not more chances.

He does play a winger type of game, but so does Jeff Carter.

The Edmonton-Saskatoon game I watched was from right in the middle of Kirby's slump, and if that game were any indication, he earned those zeros. But speaking only of skill? I didn't think that Dylan was particularly close to Kirby.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Our picks won’t be as high this year but when you have volume, it puts greater chances on side.

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lol imagine us trading up? This guy.

620-jarred-tinordi-thumb-620xauto-237423.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Edmonton-Saskatoon game I watched was from right in the middle of Kirby's slump, and if that game were any indication, he earned those zeros. But speaking only of skill? I didn't think that Dylan was particularly close to Kirby.
Dach oozes with skill and if the draft was based on that id draft him 1st OA. But he suffers from RyJoenitis and Galchenyukenitis.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Still do stand by the notion that Byram will go too high for his actual worth.

All good, I'll look him up in this thread and past versions and will figure it out. Thanks anyhow.

Last edited:

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Based on the (continued) success of the team this year and the need to acquire LHD talent or defensive talent period, and assuming the top picks of P. Broberg, B. Byram and M. Robertson are already off the board ,would a combination of A.Vlasic, T. Bjornfot, M. Has, A. Honka , and S. Boluc be considered a success?
I would consider one of those in the late, late first. So nah.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If we look at past drafts, I wonder how many teams were actually successful in moving up in the first round.

Last year St Louis traded up to pick Dominik Bokk.
2017 Dallas traded up to take Oettinger
2016 St Louis traded up for Thompson and Winnipeg traded up (after taking Laine) to pick Logan Stanley (lol)
2015 NYI traded Griffin for 16 and 33 grabbing Barzal and Beauvillier (not really trading up, more like trading in)
2014 Chicago traded up for Nick Schmaltz
2013 San Jose traded up for Mueller
2012 Buffalo traded up for Zemgus Girgensons
2011 Toronto traded up for Biggs (lol)
2010 We traded up for Tinordi (lmao)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last year St Louis traded up to pick Dominik Bokk.
2017 Dallas traded up to take Oettinger
2016 St Louis traded up for Thompson and Winnipeg traded up (after taking Laine) to pick Logan Stanley (lol)
2015 NYI traded Griffin for 16 and 33 grabbing Barzal and Beauvillier (not really trading up, more like trading in)
2014 Chicago traded up for Nick Schmaltz
2013 San Jose traded up for Mueller
2012 Buffalo traded up for Zemgus Girgensons
2011 Toronto traded up for Biggs (lol)
2010 We traded up for Tinordi (lmao)

One per draft. Yeah, lmao all right on the 2010 move up. Thanks for doing this.

There were more than I thought there might be. Still, it's a one time occurrence for each draft, which doesn't make it a high probability that any particular team has an edge.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I dunno guys I haven't really found a pet prospect yet. Where did all the Lundkvists go?

I just watched the most recent game between Barrie and Miss. and my thoughts are: we probably already have the better Suzuki, and Harley, at least in that game, didn't seem to understand his position very well. What I mean by that is that he will fold like a cheap suit against a pro forecheck. One possible reason for this is that he seems to be the anti-Ikonen with his skating: he has a powerful stride, but his ability to change directions seemed fairly limited. That said, the one time during the game in which he aggressively shook forechecking pressure he chipped the puck past Suzuki before going end to end for the game winning overtime goal. But overall, the performance didn't match the scoresheet, IMO.

Suzuki is probably the most skilled ''in range'' player for us, and a center to boot. But at least in this game, he left me wanting (a lot) more. Again, a situation where the scoresheet, with his two assists, didn't really tell the whole story. He seemed content to stay on the perimeter for most of the game, rarely testing the opponents with his puck skills. His playmaking ability is top notch, though.

Reactions: Runner77

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
One per draft. Yeah, lmao all right on the 2010 move up. Thanks for doing this.

There were more than I thought there might be. Still, it's a one time occurrence for each draft, which doesn't make it a high probability that any particular team has an edge.

I actually think trading back might be the more profitable strategy. More generally, just doing whatever it takes to get more kicks at the can. One idea which, so far as I know, has never been attempted in the NHL, is to trade a later pick this year for an earlier pick next year. This is done in the NFL, though. For example, if you have an early 2nd this year, and a contender really wants a player, you could ask for a protected first in the following year, and look to trade that pick back for multiple picks in that draft.

If you really went whole hog on this approach, and assuming you could get takers for the last idea, you'd have to focus a lot of your drafting in Europe and NCAA to manage the contracts, because you'd be drafting a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad