2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Id say hes a smart defensive player but he's limited offensively and in the NZ, mentally.
Fair. I agree that he is "limited" offensively but that is nothing like Beaulieu and Sergachev who have incredible offensive flair but are notable puck watcher defensively.

I still think Broberg has everything you need in a defenseman in the new NHL. Size, skating, awareness, competiveness, hands. He is average in term of shooting and he does not have elite vision which will prevent him to become a true #1 defeseman but he definately has top 4 potential. I disagree about him having no vision in the neutreal zone. He is amazing in transition and he likes to help joining the rush and move the puck fast and effectively.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fair. I agree that he is "limited" offensively but that is nothing like Beaulieu and Sergachev who have incredible offensive flair but are notable puck watcher defensively.

I still think Broberg has everything you need in a defenseman in the new NHL. Size, skating, awareness, competiveness, hands. He is average in term of shooting and he does not have elite vision which will prevent him to become a true #1 defeseman but he definately has top 4 potential. I disagree about him having no vision in the neutreal zone. He is amazing in transition and he likes to help joining the rush and move the puck fast and effectively.
Yeah, but defensive assignments are easy to teach, in the case of Sergachev, imo. Hes still a much better prospect IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Obviously, he'd fit in with the other guys, I just expect him to go in the back end of the top 10, like Zegras.

Though I must say, if I have a choice between all of those, I want Turcote, Newhook or Boldy. I think.
I have to say that his lack of goalscoring is not something I want for a top 10 pick.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Obviously, he'd fit in with the other guys, I just expect him to go in the back end of the top 10, like Zegras.

Though I must say, if I have a choice between all of those, I want Turcote, Newhook or Boldy. I think.
I'd have no problem taking Suzuki/Boldy/Turcotte/Zegras. Newhook is more raw and riskier but I'd take him if the others are all gone

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
For those who follow the draft - how low could montreal realistically draft this year while still picking up an elite or blue chip prospect?
Personally, I see the drop off in really high potential at #16 right now:

Hughes
Kakko
-------------
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Podkolzin
-------------
Boldy
Zegras
Krebs
Turcotte
Newhook
Lavoie
Suzuki
Broberg
York
Kaliyev

But guys like Robertson, Kokkonen, Soderstrom and Dorofeyev are very good picks in the top 20 as well. They can move up as the season goes along.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Personally, I see the drop off in really high potential at #16 right now:

Hughes
Kakko
-------------
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Podkolzin
-------------
Boldy
Zegras
Krebs
Turcotte
Newhook
Lavoie
Suzuki
Broberg
York
Kaliyev

But guys like Robertson, Kokkonen, Soderstrom and Dorofeyev are very good picks in the top 20 as well. They can move up as the season goes along.

Agreed.
I bumped Byram down in the other group and swapped Robertson for Krebs. 14 is my magic number, as I dont think York or Broberg have that elite potential. Well, York does, but theres some level of bust I cant really deal with.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Agreed.
I bumped Byram down in the other group and swapped Robertson for Krebs. 14 is my magic number, as I dont think York or Broberg have that elite potential. Well, York does, but theres some level of bust I cant really deal with.
Broberg, York and Lavoie have very high potential but all have a chance of busting. Broberg has so many tools to work with that I can see a team falling in love with him very early.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I want Dach, Cozens, Newhook or Turcotte with our 1st pick. If Turcotte keeps falling that would be great!
Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall even though he missed almost a full calendar year prior to his draft year.

Draft ranking by independant scouting agencies are not IMO a good indicator of player falling. They always shuffle their list. There are many players increasing their draft stock but an elite talent is an elite talent and Turcotte is considered one. More specifically a center.

I still believe teams are very high on Turcotte.

As for Kaliyev it's the opposite it seems like he is well liked by stats watcher but not much more by scouting agencies which make sense because he is an incredible junior talent but I don't see much pro potential nevermind NHL potential.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall even though he missed almost a full calendar year prior to his draft year.

Draft ranking by independant scouting agencies are not IMO a good indicator of player falling. They always shuffle their list. There are many players increasing their draft stock but an elite talent is an elite talent and Turcotte is considered one. More specifically a center.

As for Kaliyev it's the opposite it seems like he is well liked by stats watcher but not much more by scouting agencies which make sense because he is an incredible junior talent but I don't see much pro potential nevermind NHL potential.
Kaliyev will make the NHL and will be succesful on his shot alone. See Patrik Laine.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

2012 was not nearly as deep as this draft. Don't think things play out as well for Turcotte as they did for AG.

But I do agree with you - all it takes is a team or two who are high on the guy.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Kaliyev will make the NHL and will be succesful on his shot alone. See Patrik Laine.
He has nothing on Laine.

Laine has a better shot, skating, vision, intensity and simply put natural talent.

Kaliyev is a big time floater and he never backcheck hard or even show commitment defensively. He has a one way motor... Offense. He is also a very poor skater. He is not a lost cause but I would not gamble a 1st pick on him. He reminds me a poor skating Kostitsyn.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He has nothing on Laine.

Laine has a better shot, skating, vision, intensity and simply put natural talent.

Kaliyev is a big time floater and he never backcheck hard or even show commitment defensively. He has a one way motor... Offense. He is also a very poor skater. He is not a lost cause but I would not gamble a 1st pick on him. He reminds me a poor skating Kostitsyn.
Kaliyev is a poor skater ? Thats a myth that needs to die. Guy can skate just fine and he keeps his feet moving most of the time.

He's one-dimensional for sure, well, he's physical at times, but not good defensively, but thats never a concern when you can put up points.

He plays a similar game to JVR, but with a better shot. His hands in tight alone are going to make him produce in the NHL, wether that is going to be 3rd line or first line, his shot too. To say he's not gonna make the NHL is quite the statement.

And absolutely f***ing no, Laine doesn't have better vision than Kaliyev, whos a fine playmaker.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
I was thinking it would be a disaster to make the playoffs and I still think we need one more elite talent. Now looking at every players available in this draft, would you guys consider it could be "ok" to make the playoffs and grab a falling player.... let's say Kaliyev/Lavoie (not a fan)/Turcotte/Newhook/Robertson/etc. ?

Seeing the habs doing well is fun and the games are entertaining, but I'm tired of being a playoff bubble team not being able to draft top end talent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone know much about Ben Brinkman?
Yes.
Always been a terrific player. Good size, VERY thick(6'1" 215 lbs.). Suter like build. He's getting schooled a bit as a 17yo on a sub par NCAA team, but is holding his own. I will be interested to see how he develops. Keep in mind that he doesn't get any PP TOI (which he is fully capable of playing), which affects his production.

Doesn't really have a weakness, at least physically. Has good vision passing, and better offensive chops than he has been able to show so far in college. Played on an excellent HS team in MN, which means one of the best in the US. Coached by Curt Giles, former North Star. Good kid, good family.

I would think he would an excellent 2nd round choice, and a steal at 3rd. At one time I would've thought that he would be a first rounder, but needs to start showing more for that to happen. Tall order when you are an early college entry( he should still be in HS), in an era when HS'ers often play a year of junior before playing NCAA.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I have changed my priorities for the Habs draft for 2019, want them to trade our 1st and two 2nd's for a couple more 1st's in 2020. Goving them a shot at drafting Alex Lafreniere the gamebreaking star they have lacked since the days of Lafleur, Beliveau & "The Rocket" Maurice Richard. Truly the NHL would benefit from the Habs & Montreal having a great Francophone star once again, after 50 yrs since Guy Lafleur was drafted in 1971, do the math long overdue IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy: Imagine the rivalries between Toronto/ Montreal renewed again, once upon a time that was the greatest rivalry in the NHL.:naughty::naughty::naughty: Habs - Oilers in Stanley Cup Finals, finally.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My bad, Oct.4 Bday. So he played a game or two when he was 17, then turned 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad