2019 Entry Draft Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
What about Xavier Parent? For those of you that watched the Hlinka tourny, how did he look? I will forever be intrigued by him, as he was really hyped as a peewee player. I know he's quite small, but the talent seems to be there.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
What about Xavier Parent? For those of you that watched the Hlinka tourny, how did he look? I will forever be intrigued by him, as he was really hyped as a peewee player. I know he's quite small, but the talent seems to be there.
He's pretty slow for such a small player, could really hold him back, his skating is much like Gallagher's. He looked good, found open ice and got in positions to score from what I've watched so far.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I really do like Broberg, has great wheels but top 3, even top 10 is bad. Just overcompensating for one tournament in which he played well and capitalized on some chances, but it's clear he doesn't have the tools to do that in the NHL, His skating and physical gifts look great, but I question his D-zone coverage, and he's an awful puckhandler in transition. Mid-20's is as early as I can justify right now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I really do like Broberg, has great wheels but top 3, even top 10 is bad. Just overcompensating for one tournament in which he played well and capitalized on some chances, but it's clear he doesn't have the tools to do that in the NHL, His skating and physical gifts look great, but I question his D-zone coverage, and he's an awful puckhandler in transition. Mid-20's is as early as I can justify right now.

I don't agree with this assessment. Could it have been a hot streak offensively in one tournament? Sure but the way he was creating was pretty much automatic out of his own desire. He wasn't like Robertson on the States who was Johnny on the spot many of the times.

His stick handling was great and good for the high pace his feet were setting. His transition work was masterful and I couldn't really care about his defensive zone play (though it was good) because any issues he had was coachable.

A consistent season like what he showed at the Hlinka and he's the best D in the class.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He was more of a support player in the end but he did well with the minutes he had. For some reason I expected him to be a speedster but that's really not his game at all, it took me by surprise a bit. He's way small, like, Bryan Gionta/DD small, which obviously could be an issue. Good motor .

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Parent is probably tracking as a second round pick in this draft. Ive never been super impressed by him. You want more skill or more speed.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I don't agree with this assessment. Could it have been a hot streak offensively in one tournament? Sure but the way he was creating was pretty much automatic out of his own desire. He wasn't like Robertson on the States who was Johnny on the spot many of the times.

His stick handling was great and good for the high pace his feet were setting. His transition work was masterful and I couldn't really care about his defensive zone play (though it was good) because any issues he had was coachable.

A consistent season like what he showed at the Hlinka and he's the best D in the class.
I don't see any true offensive flair to his game, and I do find he bobbles the puck a fair amount when not moving fast. He certainly wasn't pulling off fantastic moves from what I've seen, unless he pulled some magic in the medal rounds which I've yet to see.

I saw a fast, powerful and deliberate skater who was willing to take matters into his own hands. On the flip side, I didn't see a defenseman feeding his wingers on the powerplay, though his shot did look like a threat.

Defensively, he was good on the rush, in the corners even, but I found he got running around a bit when he wasn't the one going after the puck. Didn't know who to cover.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
This draft is going to be so exciting. There's so much talent from the WHL for me to rave about but there's also Americans and Euros that are absolutely fantastic. Cozens, Dach, Bryam, and Williams really shined at the Hlinka. Once Dach figures out his game he's going to be so deadly. Can't wait to see what Mitch Love does with him in Saskatoon.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Parent is probably tracking as a second round pick in this draft. Ive never been super impressed by him. You want more skill or more speed.
He was more of a support player in the end but he did well with the minutes he had. For some reason I expected him to be a speedster but that's really not his game at all, it took me by surprise a bit. He's way small, like, Bryan Gionta/DD small, which obviously could be an issue. Good motor .
He's pretty slow for such a small player, could really hold him back, his skating is much like Gallagher's. He looked good, found open ice and got in positions to score from what I've watched so far.

Thanks for the feedback guys. More of a playmaker or a shooter? How did he look defensively?

From looking at highlights, it seems he was involved in a few important goals despite his diminished role.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Of the three Q forwards, I liked Poulin and Pelletier more. Still, you see a decent amount of talent with Parent. I thought he had good one-on-one skills and anticipation in the offensive zone though sometimes maybe tried too much on his own.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Of the three Q forwards, I liked Poulin and Pelletier more. Still, you see a decent amount of talent with Parent. I thought he had good one-on-one skills and anticipation in the offensive zone though sometimes maybe tried too much on his own.

Is Lafrenière not one as well? ;) :sarcasm:

Thanks for the input.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He's in the 'Super QMJHL':sarcasm:
Just realized that's gotta be the most Q players, with six, the Hlinka squad has had?

Either that, or good enough to play in the NHL already... he's the crown jewel of the Q and province. There hasn't been such a no-brainer superstar player like him coming out of the 'Q since Crosby.

Bergeron became a superstar, but he was not drafted as one. You could make the argument for Couturier, Drouin and Mackinnon as well, but the first has only recently been producing like one. Mackinnon might very well reach that status eventually and the jury is still out Drouin (I have a lot of faith in him).

As a long time 'Q fan, it's nice to see. Stéphane Leroux rightfully pointed that since Lafrenière is a late, he'll have to play two more seasons in juniors (unless he bolts in Europe to be paid at his true value, which would surprise me). Crosby only played two seasons in Rimouski yet all the arenas were full when he was in town. Hopefully Lafrenière has that same impact.

The most famous player that was in Lafrenière's situation was none other than Mario Lemieux. He absolutely destroyed the 'Q in his last junior season. He had 282 points in 70 games, imagine that. That record in a season still stands to this day.

As for the Q contingent @Hlinka, yeah it was a pretty good year for the 'Q. A bit disappointed that Poulin and Pelletier couldn't contribute more, but I'm certain they were given their chances as Tourigny is a fair coach.

Last edited:

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I really didn't like Pelletier, didn't look good when I saw him with Moncton either. Small, average skating and from what I've seen spends a lot of time chasing the puck carrier. There's definitely 30+ players I like more

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I really didn't like Pelletier, didn't look good when I saw him with Moncton either. Small, average skating and from what I've seen spends a lot of time chasing the puck carrier. There's definitely 30+ players I like more

I understand that early on you want to concentrate on solely the best prospects, personally I like to broaden my horizons as early as possible. ;)

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Really want the habs to land Kakko.

Kotkaniemi - Kakko duo would be terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad