2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Harley could be a great pick, but i don’t like the fact : he is almost one year younger than everybody. Last year, Tkachuk was the oldest and im taking him anytime on my team

I am comparing apples to apples here, Mete against his pears when he was in Junior was a stud defender there. At 17, he was instrumental in London winning Mem Cup. The OHL insider that does his annual lists predicted before his final Junior season that he would be the leading candidate for the OHL defenseman of the year. He never played another game in Junior and started the following season in MTL and was the go to defender with Timmins on the WJC gold winning team Canada. And in the second half of the last season he was paired with Weber against the best offensive players in the League and finished the season with the defense leading +17. Sure he gets out-muscled occasionally and so will York who does not have anything close to Mete's elite skating. It would be near mission impossible for York to replicate what Mete has done so far as a defender, not talking offensive game here.

York is a good prospect, I don't question that. But considering the talent likely available, we can do better than that.
Right. When you are looking mete playing in junior. It was on high speed level and beat opponent easily with his speed. Now in the nhl it’s more difficult to beat them, but use his speed for resch the puck very fast, to be the 4th guy during pressure in ozone. All small things hes doing right. Cam york is playing less faster than mete and weak like him. Very not sure thats he is the best pick

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Locks

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Harley could be a great pick, but i don’t like the fact : he is almost one year younger than everybody. Last year, Tkachuk was the oldest and im taking him anytime on my team

Picking an older player is not a problem. But picking a younger player gives you the idea that he's not finished growing more...hence if you like him already, chances are you like him even more later. Just that for me, if I hesitate between 2, I take the youngest. Obviously not talking about 1 month here though...

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Right. When you are looking mete playing in junior. It was on high speed level and beat opponent easily with his speed. Now in the nhl it’s more difficult to beat them, but use his speed for resch the puck very fast, to be the 4th guy during pressure in ozone. All small things hes doing right. Cam york is playing less faster than mete and weak like him. Very not sure thats he is the best pick

York and Mete plays nothing alike.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

It makes no sense to compare them, sorry. York is not weak like Mete. They don’t even play alike. Just an odd comparison.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
10 names that Wheeler thinks any team should avoid based on where they're projected or at all: Pod, Broberg, Soderstrom, Bjornfot, Vlasic, Gutik, Guskov, Misyul, Vukojevic and H. Jones.

The bolded are regularly referenced in this thread.

When would it be too early for any of these 4?

If available, this is the order habs would select these players

Broberg
Newhook
Harley
Seider
Heinola

Those names are part of a hornet's nest that posters keep stepping into in this thread. I've seen posters tout each of them as being better than the others you list.

I don't think we'll have consensus but that's only going to add more intrigue at the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he learns the D side of the game? How's that enough for a top 15 pick? Geez isn't that what Harley is criticized for? And he's much younger? I read you and you make me think of Marc-André Bergeron....that clearly doesn't deserve to be a 1st rounder. Let's hope he already knows how to play defense....

He's not MA Bergeron. He's Karlsson lite in the way he plays the game. Just a work in project in his own end. And his offensive upside is higher than Harley's, watch some games and you'll see that the tool kit is night and day.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Back in April Habseyeontheprize posted an article on Lassi Thomson and in it they wrote: But even considering those factors, it wouldn’t be very surprising to have a team jump at the occasion to select him as early as the middle of the first round.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Not sure how anybody could be please, if reports are correct, for a 6'0'' righty that can't play defense. IF that's indeed the case...I haven't seen him too much this year to state how bad his defensive play is. But if he can't correct that, there is no way we will have a chance to see his skating and his shot if he can't defend.
His defense against the rush is rather good - he likes to cut plays before they develop and maintains a very tight gap. Isn't afraid to use the body to separate players from the puck either. I've seen him engage with Hamaliuk, one of the bigger forwards of the crop, and coming out on top a couple times.
He's a swashbuckler though- something he'll need to adjust as he can take some ill-timed risks.

Once he's in his zone and stationary or against a heavy cycle is where things get really dicey. From his reads, to zone assignments and net-front D, he's very raw. He'd be a project, one I wouldn't hate though maybe closer towards the end of the 1st.

Last edited:

Locks

May 28, 2005
I am not advocating for or against York but you're comparison with Mete has absolutely no relevance to whether or not York is a good pick at 15. York is a great skater even if he isn't quite at Mete's level, and then to pretend that their respective offensive upside is not a factor in this comparison is disingenuous at best.

If you prefer other options than York then fine, compare him to other draft eligible players and make your case.

Another poster brought up Mete in replying to my post so I elaborated on that topic and I did not pretend that their respective offensive upside is not a factor - it is your interpretation of that because you likely did not read the entire exchange. I did mention York's higher offensive upside but the post you saw was in defense of my statement that Mete is a superior defender than York. And the bolded just confirms that you did not see my original long post where I compare York to other candidates, specifically Seider and Harley, and my conclusion that these two are superior prospects than York. Maybe HF needs to introduce a feature where we can easily follow all the sub-threads to avoid a confusion.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But Thomson won’t be the BPA let along the best defender available at 15. It would be a ballsy pick and not one I would make.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
York's neutral zone play is why he's so highly valued. He defends it well and can skate through it easily. He has good vision/playmaking skills. But, he's a passive player physically and doesn't have a shot.

Gardiner is a far more apt comparison than McAvoy.

I think if there's any D in this draft who reminds me of Jake Gardiner, it's Thomas Harley. And that what scares me about him....just bad decisions which lead to turnovers. Cam York's decison-making, at least from my viewings, is possibly his greatest strength. Miles ahead of Gardiner in that respect.

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad