2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locks

May 28, 2005
He’s not a better defender than York and gets dominated down low and in front of the net.
I am comparing apples to apples here, Mete against his pears when he was in Junior was a stud defender there. At 17, he was instrumental in London winning Mem Cup. The OHL insider that does his annual lists predicted before his final Junior season that he would be the leading candidate for the OHL defenseman of the year. He never played another game in Junior and started the following season in MTL and was the go to defender with Timmins on the WJC gold winning team Canada. And in the second half of the last season he was paired with Weber against the best offensive players in the League and finished the season with the defense leading +17. Sure he gets out-muscled occasionally and so will York who does not have anything close to Mete's elite skating. It would be near mission impossible for York to replicate what Mete has done so far as a defender, not talking offensive game here.

York is a good prospect, I don't question that. But considering the talent likely available, we can do better than that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I am comparing apples to apples here, Mete against his pears when he was in Junior was a stud defender there. At 17, he was instrumental in London winning Mem Cup. The OHL insider that does his annual lists predicted before his final Junior season that he would be the leading candidate for the OHL defenseman of the year. He never played another game in Junior and started the following season in MTL and was the go to defender with Timmins on the WJC gold winning team Canada. And in the second half of the last season he was paired with Weber against the best offensive players in the League and finished the season with the defense leading +17. Sure he gets out-muscled occasionally and so will York who does not have anything close to Mete's elite skating. It would be near mission impossible for York to replicate what Mete has done so far as a defender, not talking offensive game here.

York is a good prospect, I don't question that. But considering the talent likely available, we can do better than that.

I am not advocating for or against York but you're comparison with Mete has absolutely no relevance to whether or not York is a good pick at 15. York is a great skater even if he isn't quite at Mete's level, and then to pretend that their respective offensive upside is not a factor in this comparison is disingenuous at best.

If you prefer other options than York then fine, compare him to other draft eligible players and make your case.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
So, according to Twitter, Grant has the Habs taking Lassi Thomson in his mock.

If true, that'd be... interesting.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That would be very bold given Thomson's age and defensive concerns, especially considering there will be a number of considerably higher ranked dmen available.

Will be tough to argue with Timmins after grabbing Romanov last year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Can someone please provide a review of the player and where he might fall?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Honestly, I'd be more happy for that selection than the other rumored D men. Thomson has sky high upside if he learns the D side of the game. Outside of Byram he has the highest offensive upside of any D man in the class.

Thomson is an offensive defenseman through and through. He's in Kelowna the defenseman factory. He's got a beautiful skating stride, great edges and footwork. He loves loves to jump up in the rush and also carry the puck.

He scored what.. 20 goals as a rookie in Kelowna coming from Finland? Big slapper. Incredible wrist shot.

Offensively he's a lot like Boqvist last year.. he just doesn't have that composure with the puck that Boqvist had (not many do) and he isn't good defensively yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

A tough player to get a read on. Great skater with a big shot but in limited viewings his IQ really comes into question. The type of prospect that you would need to interview and have him explain his on ice thought process. I could see him going mid first round if he interviews well. If not he is a late first to mid second round pick. Might even be worth packaging our second rounders to move up and take him if he drops out of the first.

Reactions: Runner77

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I dont know what Grant has smoked, but Thomson is not even close to crack the first round... Defensively pretty flawed and decent skater at best...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I dont know what Grant has smoked, but Thomson is not even close to crack the first round... Defensively pretty flawed and decent skater at best...

He is an outstanding skater, that is a fact. Stop trying to pass yourself off as some kind of scout. There are many of us on these boards who have done it or are doing it for a living. Grant is one of them, and I don't always agree with him but he knows how to evaluate skating ability. You my friend do not appear to possess the same aptitude based on the bulk of your posts.

Keep trying and keep learning but if you are going to attack credible opinions then at least put in the work to watch enough games to do so.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He is an outstanding skater, that is a fact. Stop trying to pass yourself off as some kind of scout. There are many of us on these boards who have done it or are doing it for a living. Grant is one of them, and I don't always agree with him but he knows how to evaluate skating ability. You my friend do not appear to possess the same aptitude based on the bulk of your posts.

Keep trying and keep learning but if you are going to attack credible opinions then at least put in the work to watch enough games to do so.

That was a dead giveaway that the guy hadn't watched him. His ability to skate the puck up is just as good if not better than Brobergs. He also possesses way better ability and edgework on the line to open up lanes and plays.

Tools wise, he's really second to Byram in the draft. The question will be can you refine the raw tools and defensive game enough to turn him into a top pairing guy.

Reactions: Runner77

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Oh I sure do... Watch Thomson vs Spokane on february 22 on prospects shifts, he is terrible out there...

That was a dead giveaway that the guy hadn't watched him. His ability to skate the puck up is just as good if not better than Brobergs. He also possesses way better ability and edgework on the line to open up lanes and plays.

Tools wise, he's really second to Byram in the draft. The question will be can you refine the raw tools and defensive game enough to turn him into a top pairing guy.
He is a good skater in term of agility but his straight line speed look average... Will have to watch another game, maybe it was an off one but in this one he got beat plenty of times and mishandled the puck causing bad turnovers...

A tough player to get a read on. Great skater with a big shot but in limited viewings his IQ really comes into question. The type of prospect that you would need to interview and have him explain his on ice thought process. I could see him going mid first round if he interviews well. If not he is a late first to mid second round pick. Might even be worth packaging our second rounders to move up and take him if he drops out of the first.
Jake Bean type of prospect from what Ive seen, some nice offensive tools, but defensively flawed and seemsto be indeed lacking in hockey IQ...

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
There are at least 30 kids in this draft I'd prefer to Thomson. If he's there in the 2nd, fantastic, otherwise pls no

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I feel it's gonna be between York, Seider, Heinola and Harley for the Habs pick.

Sucks I'm gonna miss the draft this year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Seems like reaching outside for a home run on not our most pressing position in the organization but expect the unexpected...

2019 NHL Draft prospect profile: Lassi Thomson has all the pieces, but some assembly is required

Considering that he is almost a full year older than a prospect such as Harley and he is right handed, it does seem like a bit of a stretch. Not saying Harley should or should not be our pick, just using him as an example. Broberg is also 9 months younger than Thomson.

Timmins and co. would really have to like Thomson a lot to pass up on some top LD prospects to make such a gutsy call.

Still think he's going to Anaheim.

I can't see them taking him at 9 and their second first round pick (STL) has dopped all the way to 30 or 31. Maybe if he slips but I am not sure they will have enough to move up with that late first and their 2nd.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Thomson? Not at 15. I mean he’s one of the oldest guys in the draft. Harley is a full year younger and still produced more. I’d rather pick someone with less holes in his game.

Timmins even said with the Habs system he won’t be going for a homerun.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Honestly, I'd be more happy for that selection than the other rumored D men. Thomson has sky high upside if he learns the D side of the game. Outside of Byram he has the highest offensive upside of any D man in the class.

If he learns the D side of the game? How's that enough for a top 15 pick? Geez isn't that what Harley is criticized for? And he's much younger? I read you and you make me think of Marc-André Bergeron....that clearly doesn't deserve to be a 1st rounder. Let's hope he already knows how to play defense....

Reactions: Redux91

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
10 names that Wheeler thinks any team should avoid based on where they're projected or at all: Pod, Broberg, Soderstrom, Bjornfot, Vlasic, Gutik, Guskov, Misyul, Vukojevic and H. Jones.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
10 names that Wheeler thinks any team should avoid based on where they're projected or at all: Pod, Broberg, Soderstrom, Bjornfot, Vlasic, Gutik, Guskov, Misyul, Vukojevic.

This is nuts. He is one guy I think is projected way too low. A big, strong defender who is very mobile and at 16 had already played a top pairing shut down role against a stacked Soo team that went to game 7 OT. Has Team Canada experience each of the last two years. Just needs to add a bit to the offensive tool box, but I can easily see him playing a lot of years in the NHL if his development track continues. I think he'd be an utter steal in the 3rd.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Few questions for you guys to compare with my impressions for this draft....

Who do you guys think will go for a D? (Taking into account team needs over BPA)?

quick pros and cons for the following D's:

York
Heinola
Seider
Broberg
Soderstrom
Harley

And fowards:

Tomasino
Kaliev
Dorofeyev

So i.e.

Broberg

Pro: skating
Cons: iQ

Dont need a full length analysis. Ive read way too many and theres so much disagreement with all if those and Im trying to get the pulse since we all want the same our team to make the right pick.

Thanks for the help and xmas is only 10 days away.

Reactions: WinterLion

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This is nuts. He is one guy I think is projected way too low. A big, strong defender who is very mobile and at 16 had already played a top pairing shut down role against a stacked Soo team that went to game 7 OT. Has Team Canada experience each of the last two years. Just needs to add a bit to the offensive tool box, but I can easily see him playing a lot of years in the NHL if his development track continues. I think he'd be an utter steal in the 3rd.
He thinks his play is a result of his size advantage in juniors and doesn't see his game being effective enough at the next level .

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thomson? Not at 15. I mean he’s one of the oldest guys in the draft. Harley is a full year younger and still produced more. I’d rather pick someone with less holes in his game.

Timmins even said with the Habs system he won’t be going for a homerun.

Not sure how anybody could be please, if reports are correct, for a 6'0'' righty that can't play defense. IF that's indeed the case...I haven't seen him too much this year to state how bad his defensive play is. But if he can't correct that, there is no way we will have a chance to see his skating and his shot if he can't defend.

And also based on the fact that we will let better prospects go if that's the case. We praise other teams in front of us to make bold decisions for us in order to take a better prospect....seems to me we will be the team who will do that for the teams following us.....

I will have to find complete games from Thomson and make my own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad