2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Obviously incorrect, he's a fantastic skater with a good shot, high hockey IQ, filthy hands and good vision. Also works harder off-ice than most. His upside is Arvidsson-esque, maybe even higher. Then again, I'm sure similar things were said about Robert Thomas prior to being drafted.

1st part no, Akil Thomas will likely still be on the team barring a full reset by the Ice Dogs. Second part absolutely correct, he's moved into my list of targets for 15, would be thrilled to get him at that spot.

Arvidsson is one of the best goalscorer in the league, Tomasino doesnt have those skills. Hes going to end up like a taller Byron or something.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
So far I haven't met another Habs fan who wants Suzuki.

Am I alone...?
There is more chance that a guy like podkokzin, krebs, broberg falls than thinking draft suzuki. Each year there are some surprise around 10th to 15th selection. So this is not easy to predict. Suzuki seem to be a perimeter player could be select around 20/25th position. Montreal have a ton of this type. I would select lavoie over him. We need size and LD top pairing. Suzuki is not

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Arvidsson is one of the best goalscorer in the league, Tomasino doesnt have those skills. Hes going to end up like a taller Byron or something.
I think Tomasino is way more skilled offensively, not his fault Niagara's powerplay was stacked to the tits this year. With the opportunities he was given he showed enough to be a top 15 pick imo

Reactions: S Bah

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Tomasino is way more skilled offensively, not his fault Niagara's powerplay was stacked to the **** this year. With the opportunities he was given he showed enough to be a top 15 pick imo
He has no shot, hes a vanilla player... he does skate really fast though and hes gonna be an asset to amy team, but thats gonna be in a middle 6 role, like Byron, MoJo, Bonino...

Reactions: Vachon23

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
He has no shot, hes a vanilla player... he does skate really fast though and hes gonna be an asset to amy team, but thats gonna be in a middle 6 role, like Byron, MoJo, Bonino...
I seriously question which prospect you're even watching when you say stuff like that, he can wire a wrister off the curl and drag and can one time a snapshot with ease. My only issues with his shot are his slapshot (which is becoming more of a rarity for forwards nowadays anyway) and his release which I think he could stand to speed up a bit. He also plays nothing like Byron, sure he's fast, but he's also an excellent playmaker with very soft hands and good vision.

Not only that, but his progression has been incredible over the last couple years, with more confidence in his game and an opportunity to be a main offensive weapon alongside Thomas, he's going to kill it next year.

Reactions: Acadien86

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I seriously question which prospect you're even watching when you say stuff like that, he can wire a wrister off the curl and drag and can one time a snapshot with ease. My only issues with his shot are his slapshot (which is becoming more of a rarity for forwards nowadays anyway) and his release which I think he could stand to speed up a bit. He also plays nothing like Byron, sure he's fast, but he's also an excellent playmaker with very soft hands and good vision.

Not only that, but his progression has been incredible over the last couple years, with more confidence in his game and an opportunity to be a main offensive weapon alongside Thomas, he's going to kill it next year.
I've had this discussion with @Mrb1p before about Tomasino and I still strongly dissagree about his opinion on the kid. I see more potential in him than '' just'' a Byron ( which I'd actually be pretty happy to get by the way) . He's free to have his own opinion of course ( even though he's wrong :naughty:).

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
There is more chance that a guy like podkokzin, krebs, broberg falls than thinking draft suzuki. Each year there are some surprise around 10th to 15th selection. So this is not easy to predict. Suzuki seem to be a perimeter player could be select around 20/25th position. Montreal have a ton of this type. I would select lavoie over him. We need size and LD top pairing. Suzuki is not
Most of the posters here have somewhere between a strong dislike to at best a meh attitude towards players like Pleks and Danault which is probably the playing style where Suzuki will end up as a pro. Imo, to make the big show he’s going to have to learn to play a strong 2 way game and will end up being a middle six centre. Coaches will love him but posters here will never warm up to him, that’s my hot take on him.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

I prefer Rees over Tomasimo....he seems like a better skating Gallagher.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
A cam york pick concerns me not because i dont think he will be a good defenseman but because i think theres equivalent d men to be had in the 2 nd round and its an inefficient use of our 1st round pick

Reactions: Garnet76

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
A cam york pick concerns me not because i dont think he will be a good defenseman but because i think theres equivalent d men to be had in the 2 nd round and its an inefficient use of our 1st round pick

But at the same time, do you think Boston regret drafting McAvoy at 14 in 2016? He ended up being arguably the second best player in that draft... Pretty efficient use of a mid first round pick, if you ask me! Situation was similar at the time, with many Ds ranked in the same area (Fabbro, Chychrun, McAvoy, Bean...). Things can go both way. If your scouts think he will be a top 2 D and he is available at 15, you just draft him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This draft reminds me a bit of 2016. Not all match up perfectly but here is my match game in terms of hype and hope.

Matthews vs Hughes
Laine vs Kakko
Byram vs Sergachev
??? vs Turcotte (have a hard time matching him up)
PLD vs Cozens
Tkachuk vs Boldy
Keller vs Caufield
Puljujarvi vs Podkolzin ?
Jost vs Newhook
Nylander vs Zegras
Brown vs Dach
Broberg vs Juolevi ?
McAvoy vs York
Bean vs Broberg ?
McLeod vs Krebs ?
Gauthier vs Lavoie

Not sure what you're trying to do here, but none of these players are even remotely like each other. Not even close.

Also, York is no where close to McAvoy in playing style or size.

York is NOT comparable to McAvoy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But at the same time, do you think Boston regret drafting McAvoy at 14 in 2016? He ended up being arguably the second best player in that draft... Pretty efficient use of a mid first round pick, if you ask me! Situation was similar at the time, with many Ds ranked in the same area (Fabbro, Chychrun, McAvoy, Bean...). Things can go both way. If your scouts think he will be a top 2 D and he is available at 15, you just draft him.
McAvoy was almost a PPG in Div 1 at BU. It was clear he was a special player from the first time I seen him. York is not.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I hope our scouts are smart enough to find that top 2 d in the 2nd round they have options there

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not sure what you're trying to do here, but none of these players are even remotely like each other. Not even close.

I disagree. Of course McAvoy was heavier (a good 35 pounds at draft time), but they are still only 1 inch apart. Some player fill out later, and I don't expect York to stay at 172.

Playing style is quite comparable in my humble opinion, York being a bit less physical. He can still lay some timely hits when he wants to, but it is not his game. McAvoy was more undisciplined.

McAvoy was almost a PPG in Div 1 at BU. It was clear he was a special player from the first time I seen him. York is not.
If it was that obvious he was a special player, how come he was only drafted at 14?

Where did you rank him? In your top 5?

Last edited by a moderator:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Personally he was the player I wanted at 9

You were right to want him! :) Personally I was extatic with the Sergachev pick at the time. He ended up pretty good as well... Just not as outstanding as McAvoy.

Same reason why Barzal, Pettersson and countless others fell.

I always smile when I read things like "it was obvious he was special", etc. , when said player was ranked as mid first round in McKenzie poll before the draft. I'm just curious to see where you put him at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I disagree. Of course McAvoy was heavier (a good 35 pounds at draft time), but they are still only 1 inch apart. Some player fill out later, and I don't expect York to stay at 172.

Playing style is quite comparable in my humble opinion, York being a bit less physical. He can still lay some timely hits when he wants to, but it is not his game. McAvoy was more undisciplined.

They are not even close in playing style. McAvoy is not just a little bit more physical. He's way more physical. He's also far more aggressive at both ends of the ice. You won't see York pinching deep to smash an opposing D into the boards.

York does not use his body enough to front guys along the boards, he's passive in front of his own net, and he doesn't do a hard close, he stick checks guys. His physicality or lack thereof is one of his weaknesses. His play when the puck is deep in his own zone is poor.

McAvoy also has a way better shot, and is a multiple threat on the point: pass, shoot, backdoor, crash the net.

York's neutral zone play is why he's so highly valued. He defends it well and can skate through it easily. He has good vision/playmaking skills. But, he's a passive player physically and doesn't have a shot.

Gardiner is a far more apt comparison than McAvoy.

I wonder what @TT1 thinks about all these York = McAvoy discussions. Pretty sure we had it in February.

Reactions: Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yandle and Leddy fit more as comparables to York. Mobile, use their sticks to defend. It’s unfair to compare him to McAvoy who is a 21 year old #1D.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You are trying to hard. No player matches up perfectly. More about hope and hype and skill level. Not even close? I strongly disagree.

What is the point? I think this next draft is similar to the 2016 draft. I stand by what I said and it has more to do with the waves of talent

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
You are trying to hard. No player matches up perfectly. More about hope and hype and skill level. Not even close? I strongly disagree.

What is the point? I think this next draft is similar to the 2016 draft. I stand by what I said.
Cam York is nowhere near the skill level of Mcavoy there's just no argument to be made claiming he is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cam York is nowhere near the skill level of Mcavoy there's just no argument to be made claiming he is.

OK, sure. I think you are trying to hard to compare each of them. It's more about the similarity of the waves of talent then trying to match player for player in all categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->