2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Unless I'm missing something, that was the last exchange.

Hm, wrong jabroni then :sarcasm: I recall someone telling me he had very little upside and that he didn't like the way he played. I thought York was a prototypical high-octane offensive D at the time and someone said nah hes much safer. Wrong dude. Maybe G0bias or NotPro.

McMichael and Matthew Robertson are not getting the recognition they deserve.
Agreed. I love both of them.
I could see it in the no one falls scenario. Triple? Yup. LD? Yup. Young player with developmental upside? Yup. USDP? Yup.

????????????????????? Literally :laugh:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Last edited by a moderator:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
So far I haven't met another Habs fan who wants Suzuki.

Am I alone...?
I think Tomasino and Suzuki are viable options at forward along with Newhook. Possibly also Brink. It's not cut and dried, Newhook or bust at forward, especially with two selections in round 2 to get a defenseman.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
York is more talented than he gets credited for. He’s a guy who a year from now could be thought of as underdrafted. I really think playing on that stacked US team hurt him more than it helped him. I think if you put him in a situation where he’s the man, he could really blossom.

That said, he’s the guy you take if no one else falls.

Locks

May 28, 2005
I think we are taking way too seriously the TVA article where York told about perceived Habs interest to a Mtl reporter. We don't know what he told , say, a Mini reporter if there was even a conversation. I don't buy this story, just some speculation. Lavoie also said that his interview went very well and lasted longer than anticipated. I highly doubt York is the pick because it would not be very consistent with TT's history. When was the last time he drafted an undersized dman in the first round, particularly one who is really lacking in the physical department? Never happened. And in his pre-draft media meet last year when asked about Q. Hughes, TT said he would always have trouble defending because of his size, basically reiterating his draft history. And if we look at the under 6 Ds TT drafted in recent years - Mete, Romanov and Harris - they all can flat out fly, something York can't although he is not a bad skater at all. Romanov is a compact horse who drills pros in the KHL, Harris is definitely stronger than York and even Mete was pretty solid in this area against his peers. The dmen who fit the historical profile are Broberg, Harley and Seider. I personally hope for one of Harley or Seider if Newhook or another good forward is not available.

As for York, vanilla is the right word, Mrb1p. In the games I saw at U18, I saw guys like Hughes, Brink and other forwards make great plays. I did not see York do that. Yes, he has the skills to play with them but did not show in those games that he could drive the play like a real PP QB. He is pumped by his supper talented forwards in the same way Juolevi was on team Finland and London. If we go in that offensive LD direction, it should be Harley or Heinola, in that order, but I doubt Heinola is the pick for the above reason - size/skating. Harley is almost eight months younger than York, and made a bunch of nice plays both in transition and in the o-zone at the u18 and by all accounts did that in the OHL. For the all-around guy, Seider is my choice and fits TT's profile to a tee.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
He has next to no offensive upside
Obviously incorrect, he's a fantastic skater with a good shot, high hockey IQ, filthy hands and good vision. Also works harder off-ice than most. His upside is Arvidsson-esque, maybe even higher. Then again, I'm sure similar things were said about Robert Thomas prior to being drafted.
Tomasino will be the highest scoring player on his team next year and will close in on 85-90 pts. Criminally underrated.
1st part no, Akil Thomas will likely still be on the team barring a full reset by the Ice Dogs. Second part absolutely correct, he's moved into my list of targets for 15, would be thrilled to get him at that spot.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think we are taking way too seriously the TVA article where York told about perceived Habs interest to a Mtl reporter. We don't know what he told , say, a Mini reporter if there was even a conversation. I don't buy this story, just some speculation. Lavoie also said that his interview went very well and lasted longer than anticipated. I highly doubt York is the pick because it would not be very consistent with TT's history. When was the last time he drafted an undersized dman in the first round, particularly one who is really lacking in the physical department? Never happened. And in his pre-draft media meet last year when asked about Q. Hughes, TT said he would always have trouble defending because of his size, basically reiterating his draft history. And if we look at the under 6 Ds TT drafted in recent years - Mete, Romanov and Harris - they all can flat out fly, something York can't although he is not a bad skater at all. Romanov is a compact horse who drills pros in the KHL, Harris is definitely stronger than York and even Mete was pretty solid in this area against his peers. The dmen who fit the historical profile are Broberg, Harley and Seider. I personally hope for one of Harley or Seider if Newhook or another good forward is not available.

As for York, vanilla is the right word, Mrb1p. In the games I saw at U18, I saw guys like Hughes, Brink and other forwards make great plays. I did not see York do that. Yes, he has the skills to play with them but did not show in those games that he could drive the play like a real PP QB. He is pumped by his supper talented forwards in the same way Juolevi was on team Finland and London. If we go in that offensive LD direction, it should be Harley or Heinola, in that order, but I doubt Heinola is the pick for the above reason - size/skating. Harley is almost eight months younger than York, and made a bunch of nice plays both in transition and in the o-zone at the u18 and by all accounts did that in the OHL. For the all-around guy, Seider is my choice and fits TT's profile to a tee.
I have the same opinion than yours. Im wondering what could be the production about york without hugues/bboldy/ zegras/caufield in his team. Cause im taking all these forward before york. York is undersized and very not physical. At his best. He could be a victor mete. But. I like mete but at this range (15th). We can pick better imo

Reactions: Locks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
York is more talented than he gets credited for. He’s a guy who a year from now could be thought of as underdrafted. I really think playing on that stacked US team hurt him more than it helped him. I think if you put him in a situation where he’s the man, he could really blossom.

That said, he’s the guy you take if no one else falls.

Our vs of McAvoy at 15th? :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This draft reminds me a bit of 2016. Not all match up perfectly but here is my match game in terms of hype and hope.

Matthews vs Hughes
Laine vs Kakko
Byram vs Sergachev
??? vs Turcotte (have a hard time matching him up)
PLD vs Cozens
Tkachuk vs Boldy
Keller vs Caufield
Puljujarvi vs Podkolzin ?
Jost vs Newhook
Nylander vs Zegras
Brown vs Dach
Broberg vs Juolevi ?
McAvoy vs York
Bean vs Broberg ?
McLeod vs Krebs ?
Gauthier vs Lavoie