NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any Comments on Nathan Lagare or Phillip Tomassino at 1st pick in the 2nd Round.?

What about Lassi Thomson? or any other prospective RD ?

Assume Leason is gone in the 1st.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Comparing Tkachuk to the top 5 in this draft... Even many of us Tkachuk supporters will see some advantages with most of the top 5 in 2019.. But Tkachuk has his advantages too.. And when we look at the long steep up hill road this club is on .. It will take several very good pieces to get back to competing for a playoff spot. We have some decent prospects but outside Chabot ; not much star power.. There is potential but the likelihood is slim. Tkachuk is a pretty unique piece to stack on your side.. It will take 2-3-4 high pick years starting in 2020 , and it will take some architecture by our GM (current one incapable imo). It will take keeping the right players and supporting them as they grow.. All rookies ; and 23 and under players who are mostly average is not going to cut it. Melnyk had it right , that the team was in a dumpster and it isn't rising right now.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think we need to analyse players by more than how many pts they have, some players like Tkachuk contribute in so many different ways that increase his value substantially. I think every team in the NHL would love to have a Tkachuk on their team, they do so much to help teams win games than put up points, they are very valuable assets for any team.
When you are picked that high in the draft, unfortunately all your are judged on is point production. Intangibles and play away from the puck can be found in later rounds.

Reactions: Senator23

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any Comments on Nathan Lagare or Phillip Tomassino at 1st pick in the 2nd Round.?

What about Lassi Thomson? or any other prospective RD ?

Assume Leason is gone in the 1st.
Haven't seen Legare play since his midget days, playing for BC makes it tough for me to see him.

He seems to be doing very well stat wise (playing with top scorer in the Q mind you) and he was highly regarded heading into the Q draft. He very well could be jumping up draft boards to that range.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Me gusta Tkachuk a lot but it was absolutely the wrong pick.

Not only do you have to compare him to his draft year but you also have to compare him to the top 5 of this year's draft.
would it be fair to also compare tkachuk to the players from the 2017 draft since he barley missed the cut off?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still like Tkachuk more than any of our other options in the 2018 draft (outside of Hughes maybe, but I don't think that was ever a realistic option for us). I fully understand why some people wanted to hold on to this years pick instead though. Even if the pick falls out of the top-two we'd still be looking at a guy like Cozens/Dach, whose scouting reports sound amazing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
would it be fair to also compare tkachuk to the players from the 2017 draft since he barley missed the cut off?
Nah, compare him to the 2018 draft. We took him, only the guys available to us for that pick should be counted as to whether or not the puck was correct. His companions are basically the guys from 5-12 of 2018, which he is definitely the front runner as of now being the only guy playing in the NHL.

Of course we could have deferred (I wanted to, but there was no way the team could), in which case the guy we would pick in the top 5 this year could be compared with all the guys taken after him this year, with regards to making the right pick.

I personally liked the 2019 draft better for a team in the situation the Sens were in. 2018 had a bunch of Wingers in Tkachuk/Zadina/Wahlstrom, and then D like Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard. I expected a bottom 3 finish, so look at the top 6 from this year, and I'd have taken the chance on getting a top pick, and then be happy to settle for Dach/Cozens/Bryam/Krebs/etc. (never viewed the Russian as a top pick at the time).

Tkachuk would have been great guy to take if we had both picks, being able to pair up a winger with Tkachuks skill set (not many in the league) with a huge #1 center type would have been unbelievable moving forward, but if I had to choose 1 or the other, I'd take the center.

And again, I've loved Tkachuk

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nah, compare him to the 2018 draft. We took him, only the guys available to us for that pick should be counted as to whether or not the puck was correct. His companions are basically the guys from 5-12 of 2018, which he is definitely the front runner as of now being the only guy playing in the NHL.

Of course we could have deferred (I wanted to, but there was no way the team could), in which case the guy we would pick in the top 5 this year could be compared with all the guys taken after him this year, with regards to making the right pick.

I personally liked the 2019 draft better for a team in the situation the Sens were in. 2018 had a bunch of Wingers in Tkachuk/Zadina/Wahlstrom, and then D like Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard. I expected a bottom 3 finish, so look at the top 6 from this year, and I'd have taken the chance on getting a top pick, and then be happy to settle for Dach/Cozens/Bryam/Krebs/etc. (never viewed the Russian as a top pick at the time).

Tkachuk would have been great guy to take if we had both picks, being able to pair up a winger with Tkachuks skill set (not many in the league) with a huge #1 center type would have been unbelievable moving forward, but if I had to choose 1 or the other, I'd take the center.

We could still get Quinton Byfield in 2020. A Byfiekd tkachuk combo could be fun to watch

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
He's not garbage at all.

He's not going to carry play and be the driver on his line or dangle in and out, but to say his skill or talent is garbage is un-knowlegable, at best.

Maybe, you should take off your fanboy glasses and actually watch him play

Shooting - below average ( only good for open net tap-ins, even that he misses on a consistent bases )
Skating - pathetic by today's standards ( can't even stay on his feet)
Stick-handling - doesn't have any ( seen better from Chris Neil )
Play-making - can make the obvious pass, but by no means he is a play-maker, at best an average play-maker

Top it off with being picked 4th overall, and hyped as our franchise player going forward, is what I call garbage and un-knowledgeable, at best

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Shooting - below average ( only good for open net tap-ins, even that he misses on a consistent bases )
Play-making - can make the obvious pass, but by no means he is a play-maker, at best an average play-maker

Top it off with being picked 4th overall, and hyped as our franchise player going forward, is what I call garbage and un-knowledgeable, at best
I was dead-set against drafting Tkachuk, and have watched him at minimum as much as you....

He's an undeveloped 19 year old power forward, they are never the sum of their parts at 19.

75% of his goals will be scored from 5 feet from the net, that's the type of player he is. That's on you if you were expecting a guy who scores goals like Hoffman.

His stick handling and puck protection is more than fine, he's our best net front presence and already great below the hash marks.

I've seen nothing wrong with his vision or play making.

He looks to be all of the 60ish point power forward that teams love that he was projected to be.

Again, I was/am the furthest thing from a Tkachuk advocate. I'd much rather have deferred, and I liked others in 2018 more, I agree with that. Saying his skill and talent is garbage, that's just a terrible assessment.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Answer was crapping all over Colin White at the outset this year as well. He's had some pretty poor takes on evaluating talent. Not sure of the depth of his knowledge in this area. He is outspoken though.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I was dead-set against drafting Tkachuk, and have watched him at minimum as much as you....

He's an undeveloped 19 year old power forward, they are never the sum of their parts at 19.

75% of his goals will be scored from 5 feet from the net, that's the type of player he is. That's on you if you were expecting a guy who scores goals like Hoffman.

His stick handling and puck protection is more than fine, he's our best net front presence and already great below the hash marks.

He looks to be all of the 60ish point power forward that teams love.

Again, I was/am the furthest thing from a Tkachuk advocate.

When has he used his body for puck protection? When has he stick handled? You are literally saying things which are not true (It just like me saying Toomy P was producing this year). What has he shown to be considered a play-maker? Nothing what Tommy Pyatt can't do. It has been 50 games.. show me 1 play where his skill and talent was shown?

Stone got him off to a "hot rookie luck start". Rather getting better and improving, he has been regressing, and regressed to the point where it pains by eyes to see him okay. It was very clear that he is just not ready for the NHL and should be sent down.

His whooping "Calder winning" 20 points are nothing to brag about. It is all Stone's doing. Away from Stone is production level is worst that Pyatt's.

Just because of his last name and high draft position, he has been given all the hype and leverage. But any other top prospect in his position (Batherson, Brown etc..) playing with Stone or Duchene for 40 games, significant minutes, we'd be seeing much better results.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tkachuk is fine,he is 19 ...And will only get bigger meaner and ,better....He will score plenty of big goals for us ,and give us size up front

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When has he used his body for puck protection? When has he stick handled? You are literally saying things which are not true (It just like me saying Toomy P was producing this year). What has he shown to be considered a play-maker? Nothing what Tommy Pyatt can't do. It has been 50 games.. show me 1 play where his skill and talent was shown?

Stone got him off to a "hot rookie luck start". Rather getting better and improving, he has been regressing, and regressed to the point where it pains by eyes to see him okay. It was very clear that he is just not ready for the NHL and should be sent down.

His whooping "Calder winning" 20 points are nothing to brag about. It is all Stone's doing. Away from Stone is production level is worst that Pyatt's.

Just because of his last name and high draft position, he has been given all the hype and leverage. But any other top prospect in his position (Batherson, Brown etc..) playing with Stone or Duchene for 40 games, significant minutes, we'd be seeing much better results.
When has he stick handled? He brings the puck towards the net every single game. Stick handling doesn't equal dangling. He uses his body every game. It's not my fault you can't identify that, that's on you. You not understanding or seeing something that is actually happening is in no way similar to saying Pyatt was producing, not sure that even needs an explanation.

I am of the opinion that Stone is doing massive favours for Tkachuk, I've been saying that since October. I can see what Tkachuk is doing as an undeveloped 19 year old, and can identify what those things are.

What is Wayne Simmonds to you? A no skill, talentless bender?

Hey man, you do you. Not going to try and change your mind.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Answer was crapping all over Colin White at the outset this year as well. He's had some pretty poor takes on evaluating talent. Not sure of the depth of his knowledge in this area. He is outspoken though.

Crapped on Colin White? I've always liked him as an excellent 2 way Center who can really skate. But, I don't see a genuine 2nd line center in him when it comes to production. You can force the issue though, with high end wingers, but then again, you can still do that with Pageau, as well. My Evaluation on him is still on point, till he muster 2 back-to-back 60+ points seasons. Till then, don't come in here acting like you actually know something, when you don't.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

He looks to be all of the 60ish point power forward that teams love that he was projected to be.

Again, I was/am the furthest thing from a Tkachuk advocate. I'd much rather have deferred, and I liked others in 2018 more, I agree with that. Saying his skill and talent is garbage, that's just a terrible assessment.

I personally can't really recall the Sens ever having that type of player...there was a game a few games back where we scored 2 goals from the point and although Brady didn't tip or touch the puck I'd say he was pretty much directly responsible for those goals going in due to some friendly interference with the goalie.

Reactions: bert

R2010

May 23, 2011

Yeah I've changed my mind a bit on him too. I thought he would of been a good pick at 8 or 9 but i'm fine with where we took him now. His hockey sense is much better than I was expecting. Reminds me of a young John Leclair in terms of how he scores his goals in tight. People just want to see dangles but he's got a different but unique skillset. He's also much rawer than I expected physically - this is a guy who is going to keep filling out and growing stronger which is pretty awesome. I see him being a player that a team would hate to play against for seven straight games in the playoffs which is really something the sens have missed.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Yeah I've changed my mind a bit on him too. I thought he would of been a good pick at 8 or 9 but i'm fine with where we took him now. His hockey sense is much better than I was expecting. Reminds me of a young John Leclair in terms of how he scores his goals in tight. People just want to see dangles but he's got a different but unique skillset. He's also much rawer than I expected physically - this is a guy who is going to keep filling out and growing stronger which is pretty awesome. I see him being a player that a team would hate to play against for seven straight games in the playoffs which is really something the sens have missed.

Leclair was such an amazing skater. Too bad his back crapped out.

If we’re going 90’s throwback I think Éric Dazé before he got crippled is a good comp as well. (Of course I remember very little of Dazé)

Reactions: R2010

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I really dont think you are looking at the player objectively if you believe what you posted. Its a skill to be around the net and finish, he has really good hands. He is good at making plays down low which is a very rare skill he is also only 19 years old and growing into his body.

I didnt want the sens to pick him and id still take Hughes over him but thats the only player drafted after him I would take at this point. His development curve is going to be a big one wait until he is 23 years old. He is going to be an animal.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
While Brady is going to get a lot better I feel like people underrate the advantages he's had over most other prospects.

He was literally born with a silver spoon in his mouth with all the money, coaching, development and connections anyone has ever had in hockey before being drafted. In some respects he's a lot more polished than the other prospects because of this .

And this isn't an attack on his character because he's definitely going to the captain of the Ottawa Senators (unless he gets too good).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I highly doubt Tkachuk is going to be the 4th best player from this draft.

Not that I want to participate in this debate or anything but I don't get this point...

How many times did it happen that the 4th overall pick was the 4th best player in the draft? Early picks always get "outplayed" by guys drafted later, except sometimes when a McDavid is 1st OA

St-Louis drafted Alex Pietrangelo 4th OA in 2008, was it a bad pick? Karlsson, Josi and Carlson, just to name a few, are better, so does it make it a bad pick?

Brady's brother got picked 6th OA in 2016 but might end up the 3rd best player in his draft. He's an absolute beast. I don't see why Brady would be much worse than his dad and brother, it's not a Wayne vs Keith comparison here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not that I want to participate in this debate or anything but I don't get this point...

How many times did it happen that the 4th overall pick was the 4th best player in the draft? Early picks always get "outplayed" by guys drafted later, except sometimes when a McDavid is 1st OA

St-Louis drafted Alex Pietrangelo 4th OA in 2008, was it a bad pick? Karlsson, Josi and Carlson, just to name a few, are better, so does it make it a bad pick?

Brady's brother got picked 6th OA in 2016 but might end up the 3rd best player in his draft. He's an absolute beast. I don't see why Brady would be much worse than his dad and brother, it's not a Wayne vs Keith comparison here.

I mean, I'm quoting a guy who is saying I'm not credible because I wanted others instead of Tkachuk last year, I'm stating I still feel that way...He's talking about me not having Tkachuk 4th last year, I responded that I still don't think he's going to be the 4th best player

I'm highlighting the fact that I think one of the guys, who I had ranked higher, which the guy brought up with his backhand comment, will end up better in the long run.

Sure, if you take out all of the context, like how my statement falls in line with how I ranked the prospects both before and after the draft, and him stating that my opinion isn't credible because Tkachuk looks to be the 4th best guy right now thus I was wrong not to have him 4th, I probably wouldn't get the point either.

If you had those guys ranked above Pietrangelo, sure, it would have been a bad pick. If not, of course it isn't a bad pick. I had others above Tkachuk, which was the whole reason for that guy writing that in the first place, hence my comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad