NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With is t looking like a certainty we will be picking somewhere between 32-38, we can start to get a feel for some of the guys who may be available for us there.

Out if the Q, I don't think anyone will be in that scope, as I can't see any of Lavoie/Poulin/Pelletier being there. If they are, they should be picked.

Maxim Cajkovic I thjink is going to be available into the mid 2nd. I've seen A LOT of him, he is going to outperform his draft position. He came into a pretty miserable situation this year with regards to the state of Saint John.

USHL has 2 guys I'm intetested in from watching a couple games in Egor Afanasyev and Bobby Brink.

Brink was unbelievable at the U-19's. He was dominating the same way that I saw JBD dominating at the same event last last year. High skill level, and a constant motor.

Afansyev is a huge, rangy, offensive winger who can skate and create room for himself. I can't see this guy getting out of the 1st.

One guy I feel we have a keen eye on is Massimo Rizzo (for a number of reasons). I wouldn't be surprised if hes on a short list right now. Jack of all trades centre who is a leader at 17.

Haven't seen enough/any if the OHL or WHL (aside from Lethbridge and Saskatoon) to be able to fairly say anything a about them.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
With is t looking like a certainty we will be picking somewhere between 32-38, we can start to get a feel for some of the guys who may be available for us there.

Out if the Q, I don't think anyone will be in that scope, as I can't see any of Lavoie/Poulin/Pelletier being there. If they are, they should be picked.

Maxim Cajkovic I thjink is going to be available into the mid 2nd. I've seen A LOT of him, he is going to outperform his draft position. He came into a pretty miserable situation this year with regards to the state of Saint John.

USHL has 2 guys I'm intetested in from watching a couple games in Egor Afanasyev and Bobby Brink.

Brink was unbelievable at the U-19's. He was dominating the same way that I saw JBD dominating at the same event last last year. High skill level, and a constant motor.

Afansyev is a huge, rangy, offensive winger who can skate and create room for himself. I can't see this guy getting out of the 1st.

One guy I feel we have a keen eye on is Massimo Rizzo (for a number of reasons). I wouldn't be surprised if hes on a short list right now. Jack of all trades centre who is a leader at 17.

Haven't seen enough/any if the OHL or WHL (aside from Lethbridge being Saskatoon) to be able to fairly say anything a about them.
I honestly have 0 interest for this draft after knowing already in advance the type of player we are leaving on the table. June 24th will be a day. Good thing it's on a Friday so I can drink myself into oblivion.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Have you seen much of Alex Beaucage this year? He's a guy that's looked very intriguing to me in my limited viewings.

6'2, 192lbs
28 goals and 58 points in 49 games played
Has a great wrist shot and good hands
Looks to have a good hockey IQ

Has most of the tools we look at in a player, besides strong skating ability.

Do you think he's a guy we could take a look at in the 2nd?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Have you seen much of Alex Beaucage this year? He's a guy that's looked very intriguing to me in my limited viewings.

6'2, 192lbs
28 goals and 58 points in 49 games played
Has a great wrist shot and good hands
Looks to have a good hockey IQ

Has most of the tools we look at in a player, besides strong skating ability.

Do you think he's a guy we could take a look at in the 2nd?
He'll be on all NHL teams radars, all draft eligibles on RN and Drummondville will be, they will be playing deep into the playoffs and 1 will be onto the Mem cup.

His stats are a bit higher than I think they would be on a different team, Abbandonato is helping a lot there. He knows where to be, but isn't great at getting there.

Personally I'd rather their overaged (barely I believe) Bergeron than Beaucage

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I honestly have 0 interest for this draft after knowing already in advance the type of player we are leaving on the table. June 24th will be a day. Good thing it's on a Friday so I can drink myself into oblivion.

I still follow the draft because it's typically one of my favourite parts of the season and I truly enjoy junior hockey. That being said, I've kind of made a point to try and not watch some of the higher end guys we'll be missing out on (pretty much all the highly ranked WHL guys) so that it stings less on draft day.

Reactions: branch

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Any insight into Samuel Bolduc? Wasn't really on my radar until the Top Prospects Game, but he obviously did really well in the off-ice testing segment and he had an okay game as well. He also already has NHL size. I'm wondering if he's a case of "all the tools, but no toolbox" since I haven't really seen him ranked inside the top-50 often (if at all).

Also, where do you expect Pelletier to go in the draft? He's a guy I really like and someone I hope we can trade up for if we end up shipping guys out at the deadline and can pick up multiple top-60 picks.

As far as new names to bring up, a couple of guys that have really impressed me are Trevor Zegras and Cam York.

Zegras seems like the prototypical Sens 1st round pick. Kind of like a better Colin White. The kid is responsible defensively while providing enough offensive flair that he isn't going to be labelled a "future 3C". He's looking like a pick between 10-20 at this point, so at the very least it would mean trading for a 1st round pick, but he just seems to check all the boxes that seem important to the Senators scouting staff.

Every single year I fall in love with an undersized puck moving defenceman (I thought Aaron Ness was gonna be a top-four guy, so I'm clearly biased here, grain of salt and all, haha) and this year it's Cam York. He was great at the U18's. He's another LHD and is likely to go in the 1st round, so maybe he's not a priority for this team to go out an get. That being said, I truly think he's one of the better OFD in this draft class and he might be another guy worth targetting to move up and get.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brett Leason is projecting in the late first. Maybe with a dzingel first we could possibly snag him. 6'5 right handed shot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love this kid. I don't care that he's 2 years older than most kids, this guy had a "Mark Stone-esque" development curb and has been nothing short of fantastic all year. He even impressed at the World Juniors, which is what really did it for me honestly. I don't think he falls into the 2nd, but if/when we trade off the UFA's he could be in range for us.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any insight into Samuel Bolduc? Wasn't really on my radar until the Top Prospects Game, but he obviously did really well in the off-ice testing segment and he had an okay game as well. He also already has NHL size. I'm wondering if he's a case of "all the tools, but no toolbox" since I haven't really seen him ranked inside the top-50 often (if at all).

Also, where do you expect Pelletier to go in the draft? He's a guy I really like and someone I hope we can trade up for if we end up shipping guys out at the deadline and can pick up multiple top-60 picks.

As far as new names to bring up, a couple of guys that have really impressed me are Trevor Zegras and Cam York.

Zegras seems like the prototypical Sens 1st round pick. Kind of like a better Colin White. The kid is responsible defensively while providing enough offensive flair that he isn't going to be labelled a "future 3C". He's looking like a pick between 10-20 at this point, so at the very least it would mean trading for a 1st round pick, but he just seems to check all the boxes that seem important to the Senators scouting staff.

Every single year I fall in love with an undersized puck moving defenceman (I thought Aaron Ness was gonna be a top-four guy, so I'm clearly biased here, grain of salt and all, haha) and this year it's Cam York. He was great at the U18's. He's another LHD and is likely to go in the 1st round, so maybe he's not a priority for this team to go out an get. That being said, I truly think he's one of the better OFD in this draft class and he might be another guy worth targetting to move up and get.
Haven't seen a single BBA game all season. He never impressed me much last year on that very good team, but is noticeable on the ice with his stature. I can't really say whether or not he'd be a god pick, but he isn't a guy I've heard much about or had any interest this year around the rinks.

Pelletier is electric. Can't see him making it beyond ~20, I don't think the size is going to scare teams like it did like it did even a few years ago. He was the guy I predicted would have the most points this season for draft eligible guys, and he is lighting it up with McKenna.

Zegras is 100% going top 10, and York should be in the 15-25 range if I were to hazard a guess, only way we'd be able to get York is with a 1st in a trade for one of our guys, Zegras won't be available for the Sens.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Spencer Knight. Especially if Anderson is gone
Goalies in the 1st round is a waste of a pick

Since 2007 there has been 1 G selected in the 1st round who has become a starter in the NHL in Vasilevskiy. Everyone else has been a bad pick. Obviously teams agree using 1st's on G's is a waste, only 9 have been chosen in the past 12 drafts.

Subban
Irving
McCallum
Pickard
Campbell
Visentin

Samsonov
Oettinger

Last edited:
Reactions: BonkTastic

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Spencer Knight. Especially if Anderson is gone

I'm with BT on this one, as far as staying away from goalies early on. That being said, if we do target one, can it please be from the NCAA/Europe instead of the CHL? The late round CHL goalies that end up "hitting" are few and far between. I'd much rather take a shot on another Daccord instead of another Hollett.

That might be an overly simplistic view of things, but I've never been impressed with the lower tier CHL goalies who get picked.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
G's are so hard to evaluate and project, that's why so many starters in the league today ended up being mid-late round picks in their drafts, a much, MUCH higher ratio than skaters.

I'd even argue that the extra development time that later goalie picks get by not being seen as a "marketable prospect" (ie: teams don't promote 4th round picks to sell tickets until they've proven themselves, and as a result don't rush them until they are ready) is a significant part of why they succeed.

Projecting a goalie at 18 years old, unless they truly are a generational talent, is a fool's errand. Draft them in the mid-late rounds based on potential and circumstances, and hope one of them works out.

Reactions: BondraTime

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm with BT on this one, as far as staying away from goalies early on. That being said, if we do target one, can it please be from the NCAA/Europe instead of the CHL? The late round CHL goalies that end up "hitting" are few and far between. I'd much rather take a shot on another Daccord instead of another Hollett.

That might be an overly simplistic view of things, but I've never been impressed with the lower tier CHL goalies who get picked.

I'm with you 100% here.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd even argue that the extra development time that later goalie picks get by not being seen as a "marketable prospect" (ie: teams don't promote 4th round picks to sell tickets until they've proven themselves, and as a result don't rush them until they are ready) is a significant part of why they succeed.

Projecting a goalie at 18 years old, unless they truly are a generational talent, is a fool's errand. Draft them in the mid-late rounds based on potential and circumstances, and hope one of them works out.

I hear you, but with no 1st, he could be had in the 2nd or top of the 3rd Round potentially. He's been rising pretty steadily and been lights out for the US team.

We've got Hogberg and Gustavsson from Europe, and Daccord. Condon seems done. Anderson could be gone and Nilsson could be as well unless we want to pay him. I could see that happening if Anderson is dealt. We need more than 4 in the system.

For this Draft I'm more a fan of targeting what we need and building from there. Net out in this case. Unless someone is handed to us or we get back into the 1st with a trade.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Remember to take all these specific player analyses with a grain of salt.

BondraTime (and others) was strongly against the tkachuk pick for example.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Still am, I highly doubt Tkachuk is going to be the 4th best player from this draft. He's got 7 points in the past 25 games playing all of it with Stone. He's had the most prime minutes of anyone in the draft, by far.

We are in a rebuild and he's a winger, not the greatest position to rebuild from.

A few months after and a handful of guys playing makes it much easier to laud a guy playing already.

Perfectly fine with him here, he's great. I think there are going to be better players coming in. As I said at the time, use our pick for a rebuilding team on a C or D.

You don't need to take anything with a grain of salt, it's literally my opinion, I'm not giving any rumours out. Whether you put any stock in it means nothing, that's your opinion.

If you have anything to contribute, please do.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
what's the point of this post?
He liked the Tkachuk pick and I never, I guess? It's a draft, everyone in the business gets tons of things wrong every year.

Assuming he thinks it's a conclusion that Tkachuk is better than all the guys not yet in the NHL, 6 months after the draft...

I'd assume everyone knows that drafting isn't an exact science, nobody needs to be reminded of that. Just a way to belittle what I wrote

Reactions: Six Assets

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Me gusta Tkachuk a lot but it was absolutely the wrong pick.

Not only do you have to compare him to his draft year but you also have to compare him to the top 5 of this year's draft.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we need to analyse players by more than how many pts they have, some players like Tkachuk contribute in so many different ways that increase his value substantially. I think every team in the NHL would love to have a Tkachuk on their team, they do so much to help teams win games than put up points, they are very valuable assets for any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad