2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Lots of good centers next summer. I want another first if we arent competing realistically for playoff spot in february!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
HockeyProspect.com's Early 2019 NHL Draft Top 31 Ranking - HockeyProspect.com | 2019 NHL Draft

looks to be the year of the American. as it stands, this could be the best draft USA Hockey has ever produced. Projected double digit numbers in the first round, and as many as 4-5 in the top 10 when all is said and done.

strong draft out of US Highschools (Cade Webber, Brinkman (accelerated to play for Golden Gophers in the fall), and Grant Silianoff), strong USHL crop - Donovan, Brady Meyer, Robert Mastrosimone, Josh Nodler, Mitchell Miller and Mike Mancinelli, and strong CHL crop with Kaliyev, Luke Toporowski, Nicholas Robertson, etc...

Absolutely ridiculous USNDP crop of talent (Hughes, Turcotte, Beecher, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy, York, etc, etc), and the #1 goalie for the draft as well in Knight..

Let's get another first rounder Stan Bo!!!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
HockeyProspect.com's Early 2019 NHL Draft Top 31 Ranking - HockeyProspect.com | 2019 NHL Draft

looks to be the year of the American. as it stands, this could be the best draft USA Hockey has ever produced. Projected double digit numbers in the first round, and as many as 4-5 in the top 10 when all is said and done.

strong draft out of US Highschools (Cade Webber, Brinkman (accelerated to play for Golden Gophers in the fall), and Grant Silianoff), strong USHL crop - Donovan, Brady Meyer, Robert Mastrosimone, Josh Nodler, Mitchell Miller and Mike Mancinelli, and strong CHL crop with Kaliyev, Luke Toporowski, Nicholas Robertson, etc...

Absolutely ridiculous USNDP crop of talent (Hughes, Turcotte, Beecher, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy, York, etc, etc), and the #1 goalie for the draft as well in Knight..

Also a big comeback for the WHL who had a pretty terrible draft this year. I think Smith was the only first rounder.

Who are some of your early favourites, AD?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
We need to start thinking about replacing Crow now. Who are the top goalie prospects available we can draft in the 2nd/3rd round?

So it's the blues for Hughes.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Even if there’s huge question marks about crow, I still don’t think spending a high draft pick on a goalie is a smart move imo.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
With no Cro .................... L F H ........... (Lose for Hughes)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Yes, this will be a damn good draft and very productive for USA Hockey. The '01 group has been strong for some time now and it's fun to see them make their way to their draft season finally.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
5 points in Saturday's game (3G2A) for Kirby Dach, bringing him to 7 points in 2 games

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I really like Dach ...is he playing Wing or Centre? there was a plethora of centres playing for Canada at the Hlinka-Gretzky tournament this summer and so they used him at RW ...

I believe the other big Dub Centre Dylan Cozins is rated ahead of Dach (probably a better skater)but I question if Cozins has the hockey sense or scoring touch of Dach ...I see Cozins as a Toews-like 209ft Centre type and Dach as a at the net and strong in the corners powerforward Centre or winger ...I really like him

If we finish around 8-11 we may be looking at a smaller 5'11 Centre in Newhook who plays for Victoria in the Dub....strong crop of Centre candidates from the Dub..

ALSO in the earpyteens there is Turcotte from the USNTDP ..

But if we do get a lottery pick and get lucky then I think we look at Dach or Cozins in those top 3 picks ...It could also be Guskov from the London Knights ...he could easily go top 3 too bt season end..It will be a very good crop of centres this draft ..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Turcotte is going top 5, Hockey Prospects just ranked him 3rd...McKenzie and Button did their rankings and are heavily Hlinka flavored since the USNDP kids did not play there...most people who have seen Turcotte understand he is going inside the top 10 by June...

Reactions: Blue Liner

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So if the Hawks get a top 10 pick again this year do they/should they go BPA or should they aim for an impact forward? (Assuming they can't draft Hughes)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So if the Hawks get a top 10 pick again this year do they/should they go BPA or should they aim for an impact forward? (Assuming they can't draft Hughes)
well, luckily if we do pick top 10, the BPA is likely going to be a forward...namely a C...I can see right now 1 maybe 2 dmen overall that can go top 10, the rest are mainly centers..if we are in a spot and a top dman is on the board with a forward, I would imagine the Hawks go with the forward if they feel they are close to each other...if the defenseman that is there, they feel is a game changer above the forward, you have to go off your board and take the dman and make some trades in the off season if we build up a ton of defense.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The answer should always be BPA.
Yes. The draft should always be about taking the best available talent ... especially early in the draft. All things equal, then you take the need. The one time we picked for need recently, Graham Knott happened.

UFAs should always be about need. Of course, I'm still wondering why over the hill firnge NHL players, like Kunitz, Ward, and Mandog were needs for the Hawks this year. The only reason must be to find stop gaps until the Hawks can increase the talent the team. It might be a long season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Honka is the only D that likely gets drafted in the top 10 and he'll be top 3. Wherever the Hawks pick, the BPA is likely a forward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes. The draft should always be about taking the best available talent ... especially early in the draft. All things equal, then you take the need. The one time we picked for need recently, Graham Knott happened.

UFAs should always be about need. Of course, I'm still wondering why over the hill firnge NHL players, like Kunitz, Ward, and Mandog were needs for the Hawks this year. The only reason must be to find stop gaps until the Hawks can increase the talent the team. It might be a long season.

Agreed.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Be careful. According to some, we never had a superstar center ... well since Dennis Savard or even Jeremy Roenick. :)

True. But we also have currently one superstar winger whose name ain’t Kane. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->