Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Looking at the Central Scouting rankings and just thinking about it more, I think this will be a draft where we take mostly forwards. After Round 1, I really like the group of forwards significantly better than the defenseman out there. Maybe we can try to double up on them in round 2 or something.

Like grab a center round 1, double up on D in round 2, and then go for a high upside forward or winger in round 3...?

RD1: Dylan Cozens
RD2: Kaedan Korczak
RD2: Marshall Warren
RD3: Maxim Cajkovic or Egor Serdyuk

I'm not seeing a lot of attractive options for defenseman in rounds 3-7. Maybe we look at overagers, or maybe there are some Euro's I'm not aware of, but it's kind of slim pickings this year.
Like the first three picks, Ronnie attard can be someone to look at 3-7

Maybe take a flyer on someone like a

Semyon Chistyakov at eliteprospects.com

Ludvig Hedström at eliteprospects.com

And just hope we get lucky , I’m still hoping we can add another 2-3 picks in the first two rounds by Monday through Jensen,Nyquist,Howard,Daley And I want to be positive and be hopeful we get a top 2 pick ha

1- hughes/kakko
1- vlasic
2-beecher
2-warren
2-bjornfot/helleson
3-puistola
4-attard

One can dream

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel like Lavoie is heating up, I liked what I saw from him at the u18 last year, and Krebs is probably one of the next few on my list. Admittedly, Krebs probably would be higher if he had even a single decent teammate, I'm sure his stat line could be much better if that was the case.

With Lavoie, I think it’s a lot the team he plays on, so I wouldn’t be so enamored with his stats.

I liked him going into the year, but I’m not sure he can drive a line at the next level. I have him closer to 20 than 10. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
people freaked out because we drafted a big body without much talent other than deflecting pucks in the top 10

Yeah... and the guy everyone seemed to want like a rabid bloodhound (Gabe Vilardi) is almost quite literally made of glass. Skill doesn't mean a damn thing if you're too injured to use it.

And as you can see with what happened to Zetterberg when his back started ****ing up, it's not good news for a hockey player when they have a ****ed up back.

If you want to harp on a player's weakness, you can do it for whoever. I get maybe not thinking Rasmussen was worth a top 10 pick and liking another player better... but I think Ras has already shown that he's got more skill than something as dismissive as "Big body who is only good at deflections".

That's exactly what Sirloin is saying. We all want them to take the best player, but if a player that someone here doesn't particularly care for is taken... the pick gets raked over the damn coals. Had the Wings taken Vilardi, most of the board here would have been ecstatic... and we'd have a paperweight who is missing the entire 2018 season with an injury that by its very nature is probably going to hang around and around.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Thanks, appreciate it.

With Broberg, he wasn’t on anyone’s radar before the Hlinka, so it feels kind of like a flash in the pan to me. If he was playing in the SHL like Soderstrom I’d feel better. He has size and skating so you never know... but he’s not someone I think we should be looking at personally... I see a very wide range of outcomes with him.

Pelletier is very underrated for me. You’re right he won’t go top 15, but I think he should. The Q is an undervalued league and I don’t understand why.

This has nothing to do with your assessment or Broberg, but it made something click for me: I've become increasingly wary of guys who are described as having "good size and skating" near the top of their attributes. I've found myself overlooking a defenseman's (actually, any skater's) shortcomings when they're big, fluid skaters in the past and I feel like its still getting undue favor overall because it used to be such a rarity. It shouldn't hold as much weight anymore, IMO, unless you're talking about an exceptional skater who also has good size or a guy who is already a brickhouse but is still a plus skater. Even the latter type is risky, since a lot of those guys lose a step as their frame caps out in their early 20s.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Like the first three picks, Ronnie attard can be someone to look at 3-7

Maybe take a flyer on someone like a

Semyon Chistyakov at eliteprospects.com

Ludvig Hedström at eliteprospects.com

And just hope we get lucky , I’m still hoping we can add another 2-3 picks in the first two rounds by Monday through Jensen,Nyquist,Howard,Daley And I want to be positive and be hopeful we get a top 2 pick ha

1- hughes/kakko
1- vlasic
2-beecher
2-warren
2-bjornfot/helleson
3-puistola
4-attard

One can dream

I liked Attard a lot at the WJAC, even as an over-age player. He is someone I would like us to role the bones on in the mid to late rounds.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
1. Hughes/Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Broberg
8. Dach
9. Zegras
10. Lavoie

Cozens and Dach are both good players, but I feel a tad overrated .

Would really like to see Detroit go for quality over quantity in this draft, maybe move some of our picks at the deadline along with players to try and move up as high as possible.

Maybe something like Nyquist + Islanders 2nd for 1st + prospect.
or
Jensen +5th for 2nd.

nailed it!

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
1. Hughes/Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Broberg
8. Dach
9. Zegras
10. Lavoie

Cozens and Dach are both good players, but I feel a tad overrated .

Would really like to see Detroit go for quality over quantity in this draft, maybe move some of our picks at the deadline along with players to try and move up as high as possible.

Maybe something like Nyquist + Islanders 2nd for 1st + prospect.
or
Jensen +5th for 2nd.

No Krebs in the top 10? I think the general consensus around the NHL right now is that Krebs (along with Alex Turcotte) is rising, and has almost caught guys like Cozens, Dach, Boldy, Podkolzin. I really like Krebs, in my opinion he is more skilled than Cozens/Dach/Boldy. I know he is smaller, but I like his high end skill. Obviously it's almost impossible to predict where these guys will be in 5+ years, but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up as the 3rd best player in this draft. It's a bit tough to properly assess him because he plays for Kootenay, who are absolute junk.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No Krebs in the top 10? I think the general consensus around the NHL right now is that Krebs (along with Alex Turcotte) is rising, and has almost caught guys like Cozens, Dach, Boldy, Podkolzin. I really like Krebs, in my opinion he is more skilled than Cozens/Dach/Boldy. I know he is smaller, but I like his high end skill. Obviously it's almost impossible to predict where these guys will be in 5+ years, but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up as the 3rd best player in this draft. It's a bit tough to properly assess him because he plays for Kootenay, who are absolute junk.

I don’t know if I would say he’s more skilled than Boldy or Dach. Boldy isn’t talked about a whole lot, but he has some pretty impressive hands.

Krebs reminds me of Larkin from the standpoint of... he might not make a highlight reel play every night, but he will get on the box score every night. They are just efficient guys.

Cozens and Dach have had their peaks and valleys, but Krebs has been very consistent so far. Makes you wonder if he will be able to drive a line more on a consistent basis.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
My dream is to get Hughes, Broberg and Knight. We need more picks Kenny.

I know it kinda gets said and people think its just draft analysts trying to create hype for the draft but Kakko is starting to absolutely tear up in Finland. Hes all of a sudden scoring a lot of goals and has the highest draft eligible goals per game in Liigaa history I believe now. If he keeps this up Hughes might actually end up going 2nd

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1. Hughes
2. Turcotte
3. Kakko
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Zegras
7. Dach
8. Soderstrom
9. Krebs
10. Boldy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t know if I would say he’s more skilled than Boldy or Dach. Boldy isn’t talked about a whole lot, but he has some pretty impressive hands.

Krebs reminds me of Larkin from the standpoint of... he might not make a highlight reel play every night, but he will get on the box score every night. They are just efficient guys.

Cozens and Dach have had their peaks and valleys, but Krebs has been very consistent so far. Makes you wonder if he will be able to drive a line more on a consistent basis.

This does fascinate me with Krebs. The energizer bunny lineup of Larkin-Krebs-Veleno would be so annoying to play against down the middle.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah I have him lower, he reminds me of how I felt about Zadina and Sam Reinhart. I just am not as high on him despite his consensus ranking among a lot of scouts.
Must be one hell of a draft if Kakko is the 8th best prospect.

He has scored more goals than Laine during his draft year and is only 3 goals behind Barkov. His team won yesterday was all him. Just dominated in the third period and scored 2 goals in the game. They won 2-0.

He has just been on another level since the WJC's.

Last edited:
Reactions: hkydave04

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Since we have 3 second rounders, here are some guys I like for round 2...

C: Philip Tomasino, Jamieson Rees, Ryder Donovan, Nikita Alexandrov
W: Nick Robertson, Egor Afansyev, Brayden Tracey, Maxim Cajkovic
D: Kaedan Korczak, Marshall Warren, Ben Brinkman, Alex Vlasic, Ryan Johnson
G: Hunter Jones, Mads Sogaard,
Pyotr Kochetkov

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Brink or Suzuki are still available in the 20-30 range, I would try to package some picks together and move up for them.

Another guy I wouldn’t mind with a late 1st is Nolan Foote.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Since we have 3 second rounders, here are some guys I like for round 2...

C: Philip Tomasino, Jamieson Rees, Ryder Donovan, Nikita Alexandrov
W: Nick Robertson, Egor Afansyev, Brayden Tracey, Maxim Cajkovic
D: Kaedan Korczak, Marshall Warren, Ben Brinkman, Alex Vlasic, Ryan Johnson
G: Hunter Jones, Mads Sogaard,
Pyotr Kochetkov

I really hope they keep out of the wingers this draft and go for bust on defenders and centers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really hope they keep out of the wingers this draft and go for bust on defenders and centers.

It really just depends how the draft goes. It’s all about maximizing value. I couldn’t be mad at taking Nick Robertson, he has all the qualities of your typical 2nd round steal.

I also didn’t realize how bad of a team Cajkovic plays on. Kid has been great in international tournaments and has a really nice skill set.

As long as we go C or D with our first pick, I am open to different options with our next pick. And we will have quite a few at our disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->