Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Back to actual draft talk though...

I don't know what the cost would be to move up 1-2 picks, but I would consider it for Bowen Byram.

#6 and SJ 2nd round pick (currently #61, I believe) for #4, assuming Byram gets passed on by Chicago. Do you do it?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
#6 and SJ 2nd round pick (currently #61, I believe) for #4, assuming Byram gets passed on by Chicago. Do you do it?

I wouldn't have any complaints if the organization made that move. I would not, however, move pick 35 to move up one or two spots.

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I wouldn't have any complaints if the organization made that move. I would not, however, move pick 35 to move up one or two spots.

That’s where I’m at with it as well. I could add something insignificant on the back end of either of our late seconds, but I’m not comfortable in moving our own second.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That’s where I’m at with it as well. I could add something insignificant on the back end of either of our late seconds, but I’m not comfortable in moving our own second.

Thats kinda where I am too. If the wings move a couple of picks to try to land that stud D that they are lacking, I wouldnt mind at all. They've had plenty of second and third round picks in the last couple years and more on the way, the prospect depth is really solid. They can afford to give up a second or something to move up and try to land that number one D type player. Especially because theyve already got Larkin, AA, Veleno and even Rasmussen as potential centers down the road

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Thats kinda where I am too. If the wings move a couple of picks to try to land that stud D that they are lacking, I wouldnt mind at all. They've had plenty of second and third round picks in the last couple years and more on the way, the prospect depth is really solid. They can afford to give up a second or something to move up and try to land that number one D type player. Especially because theyve already got Larkin, AA, Veleno and even Rasmussen as potential centers down the road

And I think I only make that move if I'm 110% sold on Byram. To me, I don't see the value added to pay to move up 2 spots to take a center, when there are several quality centers pegged to go in the same range. The thing with Byram is that he looks significantly more appealing right now when compared to his competition at the same position.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would only if Byram is available. Top pair D is the biggest hole in the roster. I'd prefer to give up #61 and another later pick though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Needs to be a 3rd rounder, and then yes I would. Looking back at some top picks that got switched, the price is not as high as people think, when the trades are actually made. 2 spots is not a lot of spots when talking about a group of players in the 3-8 range that are largely interchangeable as far as draft spot are concerned. I would however do Svech and 6 to move up, if that is the only way to get Byram, but would not give up newer high picks in the 2nd and higher to get it done. I just feel like Svech is not going to be worth keeping, as I can easily see him as nothing more than a top 9, 30-40 pt guy which is so easy to replace. Of course I would love to be wrong and he turns into a gem. I would be wrong every day of the week in situations like that.:nod:;)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Want no trade up for another center/forward as we can still get a really good forward at 6, so seems unnecessary to me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Want no trade up for another center/forward as we can still get a really good forward at 6, so seems unnecessary to me.
The question was would you do it if Byram was still available.

Also, it costs more to move up at the top of the draft than lower in the draft. For example, the #1 spot is only 5 spots up but all 3 2nd round picks wouldn't get us to #1 .

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The question was would you do it if Byram was still available.

Also, it costs more to move up at the top of the draft than lower in the draft. For example, the #1 spot is only 5 spots up but all 3 2nd round picks wouldn't get us to #1 .

Yes, I know that the price changes based on higher picks, but the other day WINGSMJN posted some of the higher draft pick trades, and the prices were a lot lower than people think they are or were. The Byram part I answered in my first post just above the one you are quoting. This post was talking about someone saying they would do it for another forward.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Needs to be a 3rd rounder, and then yes I would. Looking back at some top picks that got switched, the price is not as high as people think, when the trades are actually made. 2 spots is not a lot of spots when talking about a group of players in the 3-8 range that are largely interchangeable as far as draft spot are concerned. I would however do Svech and 6 to move up, if that is the only way to get Byram, but would not give up newer high picks in the 2nd and higher to get it done. I just feel like Svech is not going to be worth keeping, as I can easily see him as nothing more than a top 9, 30-40 pt guy which is so easy to replace. Of course I would love to be wrong and he turns into a gem. I would be wrong every day of the week in situations like that.:nod:;)

I think you’re underselling what the cost would be, but I understand not wanting to give up a second. That’s why I put the idea out there.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Anyone expect Spencer Knight to be available at 35? I've seen him as high as 17 to Vegas but I know teams have reservations about taking goalies in the first. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to snag a goalie with his potential. Would you trade up for him?

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would, however if Podkolzin went three I likely sit tight. I am good with Turcotte, Byram or Dach. I would take Turcotte over Byram if he was on the board. I have him #2 on my board, I think he is special. But even if Turcotte went three, that is acceptable to move up two spots for me.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would, however if Podkolzin went three I likely sit tight. I am good with Turcotte, Byram or Dach. I would take Turcotte over Byram if he was on the board. I have him #2 on my board, I think he is special. But even if Turcotte went three, that is acceptable to move up two spots for me.

Well I know everyone has their own list. I personally wouldn’t give up anything for a center, but that’s because I have so many of them pretty evenly ranked. The drop off between Byram and the #2 defenseman is substantial.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

You have Hughes at #3 after Turcotte?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You have Hughes at #3 after Turcotte?

No, and I haven't hidden from that. Dynamic centers are worth more than puck possession wingers. Kakko has moved back high on my list but not enough to supplant the top 2 centers in the draft for me. His Worlds have moved him to #3 right now for me.

I don't think he is Sam Reinhart right now like I said a lot this year. But if the dude has a dud center in the NHL he isn't going to drive play like people talk about. Though I have come to agree that his ability to protect the puck is pretty special.

Hughes is one of the best 10 offensive players I have seen in my lifetime. He is a runaway #1 for me.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Anyone expect Spencer Knight to be available at 35? I've seen him as high as 17 to Vegas but I know teams have reservations about taking goalies in the first. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to snag a goalie with his potential. Would you trade up for him?

I would imagine he goes in the 1st and I think one of the teams with multiple picks takes him.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Kakko is already out muscling players like Suter, his skill, power, and pace is incredible.

Hughes has skills sure but he will never be able to do what Kakko is currently doing. If I'm Shero I take Kakko.

I also could easily see Hughes transition to wing as well in the NHL.

Disagree completely with the dud center comment, whose his center for the worlds?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kakko is already out muscling players like Suter, his skill, power, and pace is incredible.

Hughes has skills sure but he will never be able to do what Kakko is currently doing. If I'm Shero I take Kakko.

It could work pretty well, the have the puck carrier in Hall, and playmaking Center in Hischier. Kakko will be the finisher and who'll beat everbody on the board play.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I also could easily see Hughes transition to wing as well in the NHL.

Kakko will never be able to do some of what Hughes does either.

That kind of vision as a playmaker is super rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->