Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I''d agree with that. It seems like we're not hearing much about any of the top guys outside of Kaliyev, it seems like even Suzuki is kind of flying under the radar. I feel like any of Tomasino, McMichael, or Robertson could be around at our 2nd round pick and then there is Jamieson Rees who is making a push upwards as well.

McMichael is going to rise as the draft gets closer. I'd love to get a 2nd first rounder (Nyquist????) and grab him. I don't think McMichael will last past 25th.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thoughts on Broberg?

Too much of a wildcard for me.

I have him in a group with Newhook, Kaliyev, Lavoie, and Brink after the 15 I listed. Those guys are good but scare me for various reasons.

I will say I’m far more familiar with the North American guys, FWIW.

Reactions: RedWingzz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Too much of a wildcard for me.

I have him in a group with Newhook, Kaliyev, Lavoie, and Brink after the 15 I listed. Those guys are good but scare me for various reasons.

I will say I’m far more familiar with the North American guys, FWIW.

Same, that's why I'm wondering. I like your top 15 a lot though. I'm high on Soderstrom and Pelletier as well. I think Pelletier will be a steal, I'd be shocked if he goes as high as 12 though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Same, that's why I'm wondering. I like your top 15 a lot though. I'm high on Soderstrom and Pelletier as well. I think Pelletier will be a steal, I'd be shocked if he goes as high as 12 though.

Thanks, appreciate it.

With Broberg, he wasn’t on anyone’s radar before the Hlinka, so it feels kind of like a flash in the pan to me. If he was playing in the SHL like Soderstrom I’d feel better. He has size and skating so you never know... but he’s not someone I think we should be looking at personally... I see a very wide range of outcomes with him.

Pelletier is very underrated for me. You’re right he won’t go top 15, but I think he should. The Q is an undervalued league and I don’t understand why.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don't know where to put this, here or in the trade deadline thread, but it is a list of all the players that the DRW's have the rights to and their contract status. You may want to determine who we sign next year or who advances to a higher level. I for one believe we do not need quantities of lower round picks, rather high picks or A type prospects if we trade.

DETROIT RED WINGS total 18-19 contracts49 uc = under contract
total 19-20 contracts33 uns = unsigned
OFFENCE DEFENSE GOALIE
AdamsRWuns BartonDuns BernierGuc
AbdelkaderLW RWuc CheliosDUFA BrattströmGuns
AthanasiouLW RWuc CholowskiLDuc EliassonGuns
AubreyCuns DaleyRDuc FulcherGuc
BerggrenLW RWuns DeKeyserLDuc HowardGUFA
BertuzziLWuc EricssonLDuc LarssonGuns
de la RoseCuc FraserDuns PerryGuns
EhnCuc GreenRDuc PetruzzelliGuns
ElfströmLW RWuns HickettsLDRFA PottelbergheGuns
ElsonLWuc HolwayDuns RybárGRFA
FranzenRWLTIR HronekRDuc SateriGUFA
FrkRWRFA JensenRDUFA
GallantCuns Kotkansalo Duns
GlendeningCuc KronwallRDUFA
GilmourCuns LashoffLDUFA
HelmFuc LindstromRDuc
HolmströmCuc MalmströmDuns
KadeykinCuns McIlrathRDUFA
KivenmäkiCuns McIsaacLDuc
LarkinCuc RegulaDuns
ManthaRWuc SaarijarviRDuc
MeganCUFA SetkovDuns
NielsenCuc SulakLDRFA
NyquistLW RWUFA WebbDuns
O'ReillyRWuns
OulletteDBO
PearsonCuns
PopeLWuc
PuempelLWuc
RasmussenCuc
SadowyLWRFA
SmithLWuc
SvechnikovLWuc
TerryLWuc
TurgeonCuc
VanekLW RWUFA
VelenoCuns
WeissCBO
WitkowskiRW RDUFA
ZablockiRWuns
ZadinaRWuc
ZetterbergCLTIR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I just hope whoever we take ends up being the best player in the draft. Where they are @18 and 25 are usually always very different rankings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at the Central Scouting rankings and just thinking about it more, I think this will be a draft where we take mostly forwards. After Round 1, I really like the group of forwards significantly better than the defenseman out there. Maybe we can try to double up on them in round 2 or something.

Like grab a center round 1, double up on D in round 2, and then go for a high upside forward or winger in round 3...?

RD1: Dylan Cozens
RD2: Kaedan Korczak
RD2: Marshall Warren
RD3: Maxim Cajkovic or Egor Serdyuk

I'm not seeing a lot of attractive options for defenseman in rounds 3-7. Maybe we look at overagers, or maybe there are some Euro's I'm not aware of, but it's kind of slim pickings this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looking at the Central Scouting rankings and just thinking about it more, I think this will be a draft where we take mostly forwards. After Round 1, I really like the group of forwards significantly better than the defenseman out there. Maybe we can try to double up on them in round 2 or something.

Like grab a center round 1, double up on D in round 2, and then go for a high upside forward or winger in round 3...?

RD1: Dylan Cozens
RD2: Kaedan Korczak
RD2: Marshall Warren
RD3: Maxim Cajkovic or Egor Serdyuk

I'm not seeing a lot of attractive options for defenseman in rounds 3-7. Maybe we look at overagers, or maybe there are some Euro's I'm not aware of, but it's kind of slim pickings this year.

Hopefully we get a couple more seconds at the deadline. I would love to figure out a way to package a couple second rounders to get back in the first and get Spencer Knight.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thoughts on Broberg?

I flirt with dropping him from time to time, but he remains my number one D-man because of his sheer athletic ability. Yeah I worry he is Bogosian, but his peak might be Brent Burns.... So yeah, he has all the tools, breathtaking skater with size. He hasn't played quite as well this year as I hoped. He probably winds up a 6'4" 230 lbs D-man with elite skating... Pretty interesting package but he is a reach where we should be picking.

I can't say I would pass up the centers for him. I have him over Kakko on my board.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I flirt with dropping him from time to time, but he remains my number one D-man because of his sheer athletic ability. Yeah I worry he is Bogosian, but his peak might be Brent Burns.... So yeah, he has all the tools, breathtaking skater with size. He hasn't played quite as well this year as I hoped. He probably winds up a 6'4" 230 lbs D-man with elite skating... Pretty interesting package but he is a reach where we should be picking.

You have him ahead of Byram?? I think I may be higher on Byram than most. I'd honestly consider him at 4th overall. Behind the obvious ones, I like Cozens 3rd and then Byram 4th. He has good mobility and good vision, I like his creativity.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You have him ahead of Byram?? I think I may be higher on Byram than most. I'd honestly consider him at 4th overall. Behind the obvious ones, I like Cozens 3rd and then Byram 4th. He has good mobility and good vision, I like his creativity.

I like Byram, but I am a big believer in Broberg. Probably influenced by the fact I have a buddy in the industry that has him #2 on his board right now. I mean I like him when I tune in. I know people are questioning the hockey IQ, but I think he winds up the best D-man in this draft.

We are still a few months out from the draft, things can change, but I have trouble dropping him. I also think the way we dumb down the game in NA will benefit him greatly.

I think my feelings on Broberg and placing him up the board is as different as I can remember feeling in terms of mainstream rankings, though I expect him to be top 10ish by the time the draft roles in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
1- Hughes
2- Kakko
3- Cozens
4- Dach
5- Turcotte
6- Krebs
7- Zegras
8- Byram
9- Podkolzin
10- Boldy
11- York
12- Pelletier
13- Soderstrom
14- Knight
15- Suzuki

So what are you impressions of the top ten here compared to last year? Obviously there is not this luxury of awesome defensemen like last year, but do you think Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, etc. Have pretty reasonable high end ceilings? I'm reading some scouting reports and it seems like a lot of these guys have various holes in their games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And you have Kakko like 8th IIRC?

Yeah I have him lower, he reminds me of how I felt about Zadina and Sam Reinhart. I just am not as high on him despite his consensus ranking among a lot of scouts.

@Frk It and I were talking about the Wings impact on some of this as he is low on Podkolzin with similar feelings. Podkolzin is also falling down my board to near Kakko. It is more the winger deal in drafts where I like the centers and I do like Broberg and Byram. But I do feel like my Wings slant is impacting that this year, knowing all year we would be in a position to talk on all of the big guys in the draft has changed that a little, we started thinking of this draft as Wings fans as soon as the last one ended.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if the Wings land another 1st, Mortiz Seider, Heinola & Bjornfot are the guys I like in the late 1st range. All 3 Dmen

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I just hope whoever we take ends up being the best player in the draft. Where they are @18 and 25 are usually always very different rankings

Great logic and yet most of this board will freak out like they did over Rasmussen if the organization doesn't select their favourite prospect.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Great logic and yet most of this board will freak out like they did over Rasmussen if the organization doesn't select their favourite prospect.

people freaked out because we drafted a big body without much talent other than deflecting pucks in the top 10

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
1. Hughes/Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Broberg
8. Dach
9. Zegras
10. Lavoie

Cozens and Dach are both good players, but I feel a tad overrated .

Would really like to see Detroit go for quality over quantity in this draft, maybe move some of our picks at the deadline along with players to try and move up as high as possible.

Maybe something like Nyquist + Islanders 2nd for 1st + prospect.
or
Jensen +5th for 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard35

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1. Hughes/Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Cozens
7. Broberg
8. Dach
9. Zegras
10. Lavoie

Cozens and Dach are both good players, but I feel a tad overrated .

Would really like to see Detroit go for quality over quantity in this draft, maybe move some of our picks at the deadline along with players to try and move up as high as possible.

Lavoie top 10? No Krebs?

Interesting you say that Dach and Cozens are overrated but you have Lavoie top 10. I feel the opposite.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Lavoie top 10? No Krebs?

Interesting you say that Dach and Cozens are overrated but you have Lavoie top 10. I feel the opposite.
I feel like Lavoie is heating up, I liked what I saw from him at the u18 last year, and Krebs is probably one of the next few on my list. Admittedly, Krebs probably would be higher if he had even a single decent teammate, I'm sure his stat line could be much better if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad