Prospect Info: 2019 Draft | Round 4: Pick #108 - Yegor Spiridonov (C) | Magnitogorsk-2 (MHL)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wu6qLr.png

4th round, Pick # 108: Yegor Spiridonov (C) | Metallurg Magnitogorsk-2 (MHL)
Egor-Spiridonov-Magnitigorsk-MHL.jpg

WuJtT2.png

HandR
Birthday (Age)Jan 22, 2001 (18)
HeightMagnitogorsk, Russia
Height6'2
Weight192 lbs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
WuJ6uT.png

• Pick acquired from Montreal for 2020 4th round selection

WuJZeo.png

Central Scouting Bureau18 European Skater
Craig Button (TSN)N/R
Bob McKenzie (TSN)84
The Hockey News91
HockeyProspects.com Black BookHonorable Mention
Future Considerations38
McKeen's59
Corey Pronman (The Athletic)68
International Scouting ServiceN/R
EliteProspects.com43
HockeyProspector77
TheDraftAnalyst30
DobberHockey.comN/R
LastWordOnHockey.com63
Tryamkin (HF Poster)46
PKAnalyst (HF Poster)46
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*N/R = Not Ranked. Keep in mind that the number of ranked prospects differs by outlet. a "N/R" listing on Bob McKenzie or Craig Button run their lists 93 players deep, whereas something like Black Book has a couple hundred players ranked.

WuJgy9.png

WuJIQi.png

SCOUTING REPORT: Yegor Spiridonov is a real smart player with a solid work ethic. He has good defensive awareness and is strong on faceoffs. He will engage physically. He also has some good offensive abilities though I didn’t see much of that when I saw him play. There were many games where I just didn’t really notice him and kept waiting for him to make something happen. Spiridonov has a bit of a choppy stride and he’s not the best skater though I will say that I thought he improved in that department when comparing from the start of the season to the U18s. I don’t think I see Top-6 forward upside but could end up a solid 3rd line player... if he’s willing to come to North America to play in that role.

COMPARABLE: My comparable for Spiridonov is Calle Jarnkrok as that’s the type of player I believe he could someday become if he continues to improve his skating.
-TheHockeyProspector

Sturdy two-way center with the reach of a giant octopus and a high compete level that makes him a difficult player to prepare for. Spiridonov is a natural center who began the season flanked by fellow 2019 draft prospects Dmitry Sheshin and Pavel Dorofeyev, and the trio clicked to the tune of two to three combined points per game. Both Dorofeyev and Spiridonov were ultimately promoted to Mettalurg for a trial by fire, simply because they proved to be too good for the MHL. Spiridonov, however, was the line’s driving force, using his size, reach and excellent anticipation to create havoc on the forecheck and during board battles. His straight-line speed is slightly above average, and he has a powerful, wide stride. But he has shown to be able to pull away in open ice and get himself into shooting position during odd-man rushes. His turns and pivots are sharp, and he can move well laterally.
Spiridonov’s active stick comes in handy during the penalty kill, not only for consistently keeping it in lanes, but also for picking off passes and transitioning to attack mode. He is a very good passer, but his assists come more from hard work in the corners or mucking and grinding near the net rather than set-ups of the fancy variety. He also can finish from just about anywhere, especially with his snapshot or wrister, and occasionally plays the role of a net-front presence thanks to his ability to tip home shots well away from his body. Spiridonov is dominant on faceoffs in any zone, and he can be entrusted to support his defenders either below the circles, in the crease or behind the net. He has a strong upper body and can lean or one-arm shove opponents off balance, but he does so in a clean, disciplined manner.
-TheDraftAnalyst

In his second year in the MHL, Yegor Spiridonov became one of the best players in the league. He put up 15 goals and 26 assists for 41 points in 43 games for Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk. Spiridonov also added three points in three games in the MHL playoffs. It was enough to earn Spiridonov a spot in the MHL All-Star Game. This was an improvement on his rookie season when he put up 10 goals and nine assists for 19 points in 39 games. He also added one goal in four playoff games.
Spiridonov has long been a member of Russia’s national teams. Last season, he put up two points in five games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He also joined the Under-18 squad as an underage player, putting up two assists in five games at the IIHF Under-18 World Championship. This season Spiridonov put up just one assist in five games in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, bringing home a bronze medal. He had his best performance at the IIHF Under-18 World Championship with two goals and four assists for six points in seven games. Spiridonov helped the team to a silver medal.

Projection and Comparison

Spiridonov is a work in progress. He has the size, the offensive skill, the defensive ability, and the work ethic to be a high draft pick. However, the question marks around his skating are what really hold him back at this stage. If he can improve his stride, he could develop into a second line centre, capable of playing in all situations. However, unless his skating improves, he is likely to find his future on the wing. In terms of style, Spiridonov’s game is reminiscent of Mikko Koivu, however, this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.
-LastWordOnHockey

Lanky offensively talented center who can also shift to the wing. Uses his size and long reach to interrupt passes and break up plays. Good edges and agility to create space for his quick wrist shot.
-Tryamkin

Two-way center has great size and reach and uses it to his advantage at both ends.
-PKAnalyst

Skating: 45
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 55
Shot Grade: 60
Spiridonov was one of the best players in the MHL and was a go-to guy for Russia internationally the past few years. Scouts often use the phrase “makes his teammates better” when discussing Spiridonov. He makes plays across the offensive zone from the nice pass off the half-wall to creating space around the hard areas. He’s got skill and shows it in flashes, but he’s not a guy who stands out with his puck handling. His smarts and compete drive his game, and he’s also got a hard shot that can surprise goalies. He can kill penalties and play tougher minutes effectively. My main concern with Spiridonov is his skating. He’s got a clunky stride without any real quickness that will limit him as he climbs the levels.
-Corey Pronman (The Athletic)

Spiridonov was the 4th-leading scorer in the MHL for U-18 players this season, even though he’s not known for his
superior offensive skills. He’s more known for his excellent two-way game and attention to the little details on the ice. He plays a very unselfish game. He does a lot of dirty work along the boards, using his big frame well to win puck battles and also protect the puck when he has possession of it. He has excellent defensive awareness in his own zone, including good anticipation and a good active stick in his own zone to block passes. He is also not afraid to block shots. He has value as penalty-killer, and he’s a good faceoff man. He makes good use of his long reach. He demonstrates good puckprotection, using his big frame and long reach to make it tough for opposing players to take the puck away from him.
Offensively, most of his chances come from his hard work in front of the net or when he is working the puck down low and going to the net. As previously mentioned, he doesn’t have any elite offensive skills and doesn’t project as top-6 forward at the NHL. The biggest knock on him: his skating abilities. His top speed is only average and he doesn’t have quick feet. He needs to work to improve his explosiveness and agility on the ice. His skating (or his lack thereof) will play a big role in determining whether or not NHL teams will draft him. He projects more as a bottom-6 forward at the NHL level, but will need to show that he can keep up with the pace in order to have a chance to play. If his skating was adequate, his chances of succeeding would be higher, since we like his smarts and attention to detail. He’s not a superskilled player, but makes enough smart plays in all three zones that he could find a way to make it as depth player in the NHL, with value shorthanded.
-HockeyProspects Black Book

Skilled and tenacious, he's good in tight areas and has great patience
-The Hockey News

Last edited:
Reactions: NiWa

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Per Kurz, he is under contract in Russia for one more season. Assuming he makes it over to the US, this may be my favorite pick that we have made thus far in the draft. Like the size measurables and skating along with looking like he is going to be able to contribute even if he does not pan out as a big time scorer.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'm not too high on Ibragimov, I mean, there is some skill, but, to be honest, I didn't understand that pick. Although I didn't really focus too much on him, so maybe that's why I didn't notice anything too special.

Thanks. That's too bad - I was very excited to see them grab a "flashy" winger.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Very stone cold stare, could also be because he has no idea what all the people around him are saying

Interesting to see an interview with the interpreter - he definitely fudged with a few minor things that Spiridonov said. Nothing major, but still entertaining to think what else they screw with sometimes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->