2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What's the worst goal differential in recent years? I feel like this is an attainable record.

Since the 2005 lockout, this was the worst differential for each season:
14/15 Buffalo -113
16/17 Colorado -112
05/06 St. Louis -95
13/14 Buffalo -91
06/07 Philadelphia -89
17/18 Buffalo -81
08/09 Islanders -78
10/11 Edmonton -76
09/10 Edmonton -70
11/12 Columbus -60
12/13 Florida -59
07/08 Atlanta -56
15/16 Vancouver -52

If the Kings keep up their pace, which is -20 after 11 games (-1.82 Goal differential/game), then over the next 71 games they will have a -129 goal differential. Include the -20 which is already in there, and their goal differential at the end of the season would be -149.

Edit: Sorry, I screwed up with my math. I thought the Kings only played 11 games, when they've actually played 12. So -20 after 12 games is a -1.66 Goal diff/game. Apply that over the remaining 70 games, and that's about -117 Goal diff if they continue the pace. Which means they would end the season with -137, not -149.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've watched a few videos on Hughes and Kakko, and frankly I still like Hughes more. I know it's very different; different players in different leagues and different roles, but Hughes is still showing he's more of a play driver. Kakko's talented, don't get me wrong, but Hughes just demands the puck and tries to do so much with it.

Reactions: King Trouty

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
I've watched a few videos on Hughes and Kakko, and frankly I still like Hughes more. I know it's very different; different players in different leagues and different roles, but Hughes is still showing he's more of a play driver. Kakko's talented, don't get me wrong, but Hughes just demands the puck and tries to do so much with it.

Exactly what the Kings need..someone that wants the puck and be a catalyst to create offense...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Exactly what the Kings need..someone that wants the puck and be a catalyst to create offense...

I know, right?

Keep in mind I'm not sure if that's just Kakko's role on the team because he is so young. All things considered, he'd probably benefit more from playing in North America since he can make so many different moves in tight with the puck. I certainly wouldn't be mad if the Kings won the lottery and selected Kakko first overall. Honestly with lack of a generational player it's a bit scary one way or the other. Especially since I don't trust the development staff to bring the best out of whomever we draft.

Comparing skills:
Shooting: Kakko
Passing: Hughes
Stick Handling/Puck Control: Kakko
Skating: Hughes

Kakko has played both wings in the games I've watched, and Hughes has played center exclusively, so positional importance gives Hughes an edge.

Kakko is considerably bigger than Hughes, though, so he gets the edge in size.

Hughes' 16 year-old season gets compared to Mathews (although he's having a down year), while Kakko's current season gets compared to Laine's in a men's league.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kakko looks so big and strong it's insane for his age. Barkov?

Hughes gives me that Patrick Kane vibe.

Either way, win-win.
Every year I expect Florida to take a step forward, but they always seem to falter getting out of the gate. Too much young talent on that team is going to waste.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If this draft is going to be deep, our rebuild/retool will get a huge jump start if we add 2-3 more 1sts by trading Muzzin, Carter, Toffoli/Pearson.

Landing a top 5 pick, will get a player that can step in next year , which is what they need. And a center hopefully.
I don't think they'll give up on TT yet, but Pearson will be gone by Feb, most likely sooner. But he won't get a 1st, neither will Carter, unless some really desperate team overpays. His threat was his speed, and that's gone for the most part.
Muzzin might...depending on the team and situation at the time.
But that is the direction they need to focus on, getting that farm loaded with skilled prospects.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Someone who seems like a decent 3rd/4th round pick is Ben Brinkman. Stay-at-home d-man for Minnesota

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Looks like Kings are destined to be sellers at deadline. If no decent deals can be made now, hold off and get better returns at deadline.
Except for Voynov, if he clears to play. Trade him for best offer and package a lame-a-kin like Pearson with him if possible

Deadline: Carter, Muzzin, Toffoli, Martinez, Quick (yes, Quick. if he's healthy and playing decent, will get a great return - more than anyone listed here)
and if Kopi, DD, or Koval ASKS to be traded, do it. (not expecting that, however) Blow it up.

With a Hughes, Kupari, JAD, Vilardi, Brickley, Clague, Thomas, Remapl?
AND good returns on Quick, Carter, (good young ROSTER player + ) this does not have to be a 3-4 year rebuild.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Hughes has 15 points in his past 3 games.

Dach has 10 points in his last 4 games.

Kakko has 1 point in his last 5 games.

They are all scoring at too high a rate to fit in.
Don’t worry, the Kings process will suck the life out of these scoring stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->