GDT: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN, SN, TVAS)

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Where's Clague?

He played a year of pro so I’m guessing the Kings don’t need to look at him lumped in with prospects on their reserve list, free agent camp invitees and guys they just drafted.

If you look at the roster, you don’t see too many kids on their that have a decent chunk of pro experience. JAD had his cup of coffee and Kehler played some in the ECHL but that’s it.

Even a couple of the Euro kids look like they had just a cup of coffee in their respective pro leagues.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Finding another overager like Lubo who can immediately make the jump to the NHL would be nice. Especially if he can replace this player as Doughty's defense partner...

Pierre's comments about booing Forbort are hilarious given the fact that he's not too fondly viewed by fans nine years later. The guy hit a development wall in North Dakota and never improved further.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Pierre's comments about booing Forbort are hilarious given the fact that he's not too fondly viewed by fans nine years later. The guy hit a development wall in North Dakota and never improved further.

That's why I hated it when the Kings would draft on physical profile and project skill development into that body. I understand that's part of drafting, but size means nothing without the skill. It seems like during the last days of Lombardi, he traded/kept the wrong defensemen in the pipeline.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's why I hated it when the Kings would draft on physical profile and project skill development into that body. I understand that's part of drafting, but size means nothing without the skill. It seems like during the last days of Lombardi, he traded/kept the wrong defensemen in the pipeline.

And when you hear the word "project" attached to a prospect, I'd say nine out of 10 times, those projects fail. How many prospects with that label even pan out? The Rangers have taken on quite a few of those as well, projects with size, and they all failed.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, Forbort was drafted exactly where he was projected. It was a project, but not a crazy reach that the Kings took a chance on him. He wasn't a high skill guy but his scouting report--skating, first pass, everything minus the leadership--read like Bjornfot's.

His development really did hit a brick wall, he looked very promising, even with a quiet game. He didn't look like a guy who would become scrambly and tentative. And his phenomenal breakout passes, the thing that turned me onto him in the first place, have evaporated altogether. And it's like his skating got actively worse, definitely slower. Some things you can't predict.

Reactions: kilowatt

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
And when you hear the word "project" attached to a prospect, I'd say nine out of 10 times, those projects fail. How many prospects with that label even pan out? The Rangers have taken on quite a few of those as well, projects with size, and they all failed.

I never got the whole project thing in the first couple rounds, it's never shown to be a good strategy. The Forbort pick was poor at that slot, but at least he's an NHL level defenseman I guess. Looking back maybe a 3rd round talent, but way better than the Teubert disaster. Boyle is a project type guy that panned out, it took him a long while but he got it together. Probably not up to his draft spot, but at least worth a 2nd rounder.

It makes zero sense to draft a project guy early. You better know damn well what you are getting in a first rounder.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I never got the whole project thing in the first couple rounds, it's never shown to be a good strategy. The Forbort pick was poor at that slot, but at least he's an NHL level defenseman I guess. Looking back maybe a 3rd round talent, but way better than the Teubert disaster. Boyle is a project type guy that panned out, it took him a long while but he got it together. Probably not up to his draft spot, but at least worth a 2nd rounder.

It makes zero sense to draft a project guy early. You better know damn well what you are getting in a first rounder.

Boyle probably woudl have had a better development path if we wouldn't have swapped him to and from D, as well, haha. But it wasn't till his NYR move when he started working with the skating coach that he started making an impact.

Teubert was a shit show and he was part of that run of drafts where people kept drafting "big nasty stay at home D" early in the first round. Man, every single one of those guys was a failure. I hated every minute of that. If they don't have the IQ to at least move the play at the junior level, they won't have the IQ to defend/keep up with the play at the NHL level.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I remember when everyone laughed at Arizona (Phoenix at the time) for drafting Blake Wheeler. How many players would you take over Wheeler at 5th overall, with the benefit of hindsight?

Granted, he left under **** circumstances, but take a look at the 2004 draft class: 2004 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Projects are dangerous, because they are long term commitments you are unsure will pan out (just like goalies). It doesn't mean it's not a viable strategy. You just have to have the right developmental team to bring these players along.

Reactions: Fishhead

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Forbort pick was drafting based on need, because Dean wanted a replacement for Scuderi, Mitchell or Regehyr type stay at home D.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If Forbort wasn't such a giant p***y, the flaws in his game wouldn't be such a turn off but he is simply the least interesting player in the NHL.

Diet Non-Fat Vanilla.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Forbort pick was drafting based on need, because Dean wanted a replacement for Scuderi, Mitchell or Regehyr type stay at home D.

I agree it was based upon need (a huge mistake), but Scuderi was only in his first season and unless Dean was clairvoyant, Mitchell and Regehr weren't even on the team yet.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Finding another overager like Lubo who can immediately make the jump to the NHL would be nice. Especially if he can replace this player as Doughty's defense partner...

By the way where the heck is Futa didn't see him at the draft is he no longer with the organization? Am I late on something?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
From 2000 to 2009 80 percent of first-round picks become at least low-level NHL players, while 44 percent of those players selected in the second round make the NHL a career. Just 30 percent of third-round picks become NHL players, and the percentages continue to drop in the later rounds.

You need to hit your first and second rounders.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

By the way where the heck is Futa didn't see him at the draft is he no longer with the organization? Am I late on something?

And the 16th pick....Vladamir Tarasenko. DOH!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad