2019 Draft: 4th Pick: Matej Blumel

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hard to have much of an opinion on guys like this. Hope he develops well along with Mazura.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
hes-back.gif

Reactions: Aerchon and Aerrol

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton

Seem to be pretty good buddies, getting drafted by the same NHL team's probably quite a thing.

To be fair, weren’t Yakupov and whoever the 3rd rounder (not Jujhar) we got that year buds ? I recall hearing about them hanging out in Edmonton after the draft. Just saying it’s a nice move, but it doesn’t seem to be a guaranteed benefit.

Eh, it’s two late round picks. Not to worried

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is the pick that rattled me the most. Watching them pass on Keppen and seeing him go to Vancouver instead.

I don't know what to think. Seems like an alright prospect, but going to UConn is career suicide.

I'd be trying my hardest to get this kid to the CHL, but with his linemate, Vlad Firstov, going to UConn too, it might be a tough sell.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This is the pick that rattled me the most. Watching them pass on Keppen and seeing him go to Vancouver instead.

I don't know what to think. Seems like an alright prospect, but going to UConn is career suicide.

I'd be trying my hardest to get this kid to the CHL, but with his linemate, Vlad Firstov, going to UConn too, it might be a tough sell.

I was surprised to see how few NHLers UConn actually produces.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
To be fair, weren’t Yakupov and whoever the 3rd rounder (not Jujhar) we got that year buds ? I recall hearing about them hanging out in Edmonton after the draft. Just saying it’s a nice move, but it doesn’t seem to be a guaranteed benefit.

Zharkov was drafted in the same year in the 3rd round, but you are probably talking about Bogdan Yakimov who was a 3rd rounder in Nurse's draft year. Yakimov played for Yak's hometown team and they were quite close, Zharkov and Yak I think hung out, but don't recall them being super close. We've done this more times than just Yak though Paajarvi & Lander were very good friends, Marincin and Gernat were quite close, and Laleggia & RNH were very good friends.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010

Think that was Zharkov, who also said at the time that he would be better than Yakupov.
Zharkov seems to have vanished however.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Think that was Zharkov, who also said at the time that he would be better than Yakupov.
Zharkov seems to have vanished however.

Yeah, after his junior career in Belleville ended he went back to Russia for a couple of seasons. Then he had a tryout with Bakersfield in 2015 which ended when he was seriously injured in camp. Pretty much ended his NHL ambitions.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Can't remember the last time our fans were so dissapointed after a draft...

The Yak and Pulju drafts on another hand were complete joy...

Like MPS and Lander before them, thats alot more on development

Prior 3 drafts were well received at the time and in the following years, most of those players continued to show well

Anyway, who knows with these depth picks. A complete crap shoot. I am just happy they drafted a player with skill and not a coke machine

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Seems like a guy who can be a good depth player in a couple of years. I don't mind it. If you get a good bottom-six guy out of a 4th round pick you're smiling.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Seem to be pretty good buddies, getting drafted by the same NHL team's probably quite a thing.

Apparently they are best friends which is crazy actually the entire story of their friendship is kind of crazy because both of them apparently played tennis too at a young age and they were ranked like number 1 and number 2 in the Pardubice region.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Someone alluded to the possibility of poor grades i.e. not up to par to enroll at UConn and so he ended up heading back home. Not an especially auspicious start to a potential career but there have been plenty of dimwits and knuckle draggers who managed to make it, so who knows with this kid. He did score pretty well in the USHL, and has some pedigree amongst peers playing at the WJHC and international tourneys so you never know.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't automatically assume it has to do with grades. Playing professional hockey a couple hours from your hometown has to be pretty tempting. Especially when you're choosing between that and a relatively bad hockey school.

I think heading to the Czech league was a good move for his career.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Kid has 11 pts in 19 games for a mediocre Pardubice team which he now leads in points as a 20 year old. I love how no one in our media mentions this guy except for Oilers Nation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->