2019 Draft: 3rd Pick: Ilya Konovalov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm curious what his official height is.

KHL has him at just under 5'10'', but their numbers are usually wonky. Listed at 6'0'' everywhere else, basically.

You probably didn't convert it right, at KHL he is listed at 182cm, which is about 6'0". Some sources has him listed at 183 cm, which is exactly 6'0".

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Who was the last notable "small" goalie in the NHL?

Mikka Kiprusoff was only 1 inch taller, had some truly stellar seasons, including winning a Vezina. This is just off the top of my head and what came immediately to mind -- I'm sure there's a couple more recent examples, though we're not talking ancient history here with Kipper.

I'm fine with the pick. You never know with goalies, though they seem to be more of a swing and miss, so it's good to have a bunch of good prospects at the position and hope one can turn into something.

I think Holland wants to put some prospects in the system, whatever position they may be, that he likes and is confident in. I'm fine with that, and pretty happy with the draft overall.

Reactions: B33K33PING

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'll preface this with saying, I never like drafting overagers. That said goalies can be different.

This is another pick that is kind of a reach but this year they seemed to just want to draft their guy and not care about pick value. Which is the safe bet but not the best value wise but that's whatever.

This was his first KHL year and he was phenomenal. He is very skilled albeit smaller which can hurt at the NHL level. Need to be even better to be here and small.

I think this next season will tell us if he will be a player or not. If he can keep up his play or stay at a similar level this pick has the makings of a steal. If he falls off and it looks like this season was a peak season, then it'll be a bad pick.

Not sure its really a reach to be honest. I've seen several people or lists that are pretty high on him. Could of maybe got him at 100 or maybe not.

I think once you get to this point in the draft, bpa available isnt really a thing. Hell, I am not even sure if most scouts/gms actually believe in the bpa thing even though they preach it. Is all kinds of players who rise and fall, and while I am sure there are reasons, I am not sure they are good ones.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Mikka Kiprusoff was only 1 inch taller, had some truly stellar seasons, including winning a Vezina. This is just off the top of my head and what came immediately to mind -- I'm sure there's a couple more recent examples, though we're not talking ancient history here with Kipper.

I'm fine with the pick. You never know with goalies, though they seem to be more of a swing and miss, so it's good to have a bunch of good prospects at the position and hope one can turn into something.

I think Holland wants to put some prospects in the system, whatever position they may be, that he likes and is confident in. I'm fine with that, and pretty happy with the draft overall.
Tim Thomas was 5'11

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers drafted Andy Moog and Grant Fuhr in 1980 and 1981 respectively.

Since then they've drafted 42 goalies.

With this guy, 4 of them are prospects in the organization. We can give them the benefit of the doubt.

1 of the 38 others turned into a starter, but didn't really establish himself until he left the team - Dubnyk.
1 of the 38 others had a cup of coffee as a backup for a few years - Markannen

This team hasn't drafted and developed a goalie who played meaningful amounts of hockey for us in 40 years....

I'm tempted to say we should stop drafting them.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers drafted Andy Moog and Grant Fuhr in 1980 and 1981 respectively.

Since then they've drafted 42 goalies.

With this guy, 4 of them are prospects in the organization. We can give them the benefit of the doubt.

1 of the 38 others turned into a starter, but didn't really establish himself until he left the team - Dubnyk.
1 of the 38 others had a cup of coffee as a backup for a few years - Markannen

This team hasn't drafted and developed a goalie who played meaningful amounts of hockey for us in 40 years....

I'm tempted to say we should stop drafting them.
Oilers havent won a cup in decades....I'm tempted to say they should stop trying.

No. That's a loser mentality. They need to keep drafting but change up development of them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure its really a reach to be honest. I've seen several people or lists that are pretty high on him. Could of maybe got him at 100 or maybe not.

I think once you get to this point in the draft, bpa available isnt really a thing. Hell, I am not even sure if most scouts/gms actually believe in the bpa thing even though they preach it. Is all kinds of players who rise and fall, and while I am sure there are reasons, I am not sure they are good ones.

I just listened to his interview and he said he was shocked that he went in Round 3 so it probably was a bit of a reach but I guess they figured the upward trajectory was worth gambling on. With Hawkey likely gone (too bad), they needed to replenish the system with another goalie.

I'm not a fan of taking a project in the 3rd round but we'll just have to trust the scouts on this one. It's an interesting draft in the sense that there's a lot of boom/ bust potential even with the early round picks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers havent won a cup in decades....I'm tempted to say they should stop trying.

No. That's a loser mentality. They need to keep drafting but change up development of them.
It's a waste of time. Especially when we've got renowned goalie guru Dustin Schwartz inexplicably remaining on as our goalie coach.

Reactions: Hynh

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's a waste of time. Especially when we've got renowned goalie guru Dustin Schwartz inexplicably remaining on as our goalie coach.
Man, we don't win much, it's a waste of time, we should just stop trying.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Going off the board for a double over ager for a goalie when we wasted a pick on Hawkey who is good who we are not signing...

Seems like a bad use of a 3rd
I understand people not liking that Chia wasted a 5th for a goalie we aren't signing, but I think it's premature to actually be all that worried about it. His stats really aren't all that impressive for a 4th year NCAA goalie playing on Providence. I mean go look at Nick Ellis and Jon Gillies stats there and neither of them amounted to anything. Hellebyuck is what an elite NCAA goalie looks like and even he has struggled a lot in the NHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't mind the pick. Guy can spend 2-3 years in Russia. Come over and go into the AHL for a year or two.

Essentially just a guy we can sit back and wait to develop. Kind of out of sight out of mind. Plus he's away from our goalie coach.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Wow. The mindf*** I just experienced after realizing who is going to be Konavalovs next head coach.

This guy is a bust in the making huh

#OBC

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

The same guy who coached multiple young goalies into the nhl in the last 5 years?

The last highly touted goalie we drafted was Dubnyk...the last NHL goalie we produced was Dubnyk. Maybe we just need to draft higher rated goalies.

Reactions: Game 8

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
Why are you equating goals against/ losses to the goalie coach? clearly it's a back end/ systems issue. Dustin Schwartz doesn't make goalies play poorly, it's the system that hangs them out to dry. Seriously the most childish narrative around here is that the goalie coach has that much influence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why are you equating goals against/ losses to the goalie coach? clearly it's a back end/ systems issue. Dustin Schwartz doesn't make goalies play poorly, it's the system that hangs them out to dry. Seriously the most childish narrative around here is that the goalie coach has that much influence.
Every goalie we have had, has had their glove hand get worse under Schwartz. That's not on systems

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

You have not been actually watching the games. The goaltending for the oilers the last two years has been bad as in flat out let in one awful goal per game and another two that should be stopped on many nights.

This teams defense, while not strong, takes way too much blame for the team troubles.

As for the goalie coach, not one goalie has come here and looked much better after time with him, most come here look okay then look awful as time goes on. Some like Brossiot look like a lost cause after a while here only to look good the year after they leave.

Reactions: Cypress

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->