2019 Draft: 3rd Pick: Ilya Konovalov

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Going off the board for a double over ager for a goalie when we wasted a pick on Hawkey who is good who we are not signing...

Seems like a bad use of a 3rd

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
If we drafted Konovalov in 2017 and he won rookie of the year this season this board would be gushing over him counting the days when his contract in KHL runs out. I like this pick even though I would've preferred Cajkovic over him.
Definitly I wanted Cajkovic too. He is steal at the end of 3rd. We could draft this goalie with 4th rounder

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If we drafted Konovalov in 2017 and he won rookie of the year this season this board would be gushing over him counting the days when his contract in KHL runs out. I like this pick even though I would've preferred Cajkovic over him.

Or if another team drafted him and we traded a third for him...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes. He would of also been 18 winning rookie of the year not almost 21. That's massive difference.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
He's a ****ing stud! I'm so glad that Oilers drafted him, good chance that he will stay in Lokomotiv for many years.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
He has 10 shutout wins already in the KHL this season and before him only Sorokin, Shestyorkin + Bryz and Varly in the pre-KHL Russian league had done that at his age. Not a bad company.

Caser said:
With Konovalov it is all about being a hard worker: while not being very naturally gifted goalie, he had been showing progress year after year and was able to refine his technique to the level of setting some records in the KHL; not that easy to tell if there's NHL starter potential, as goalies are hard to predict, but with that kind of work and progress I won't be surprised if it is there.

Reactions: Cloned and Caser

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just saw this on Reddit and it makes me feel good about the pick

Just to point this out, of the goalies that played 10 or more games in the KHL last, there is only 1 goalie who's as "young" as him, Fyodor Korotayev (21 years old). There is a 22 year old, but I lost track of him. Korotayev played only 14 games and produced a 2.64 GAA and a .907%. Konovalov was ranked 4th among EU goalies and produced a 1.89 GAA and .930 sv%. At his age, that's amazing. The only down side is literally his size. Bobrovsky produced a .927% and a 2.49 GAA when he was 20 while playing for Novokuznetsk Metallurg of the KHL. He only played 32 games in comparison to Konovalov's 45. Andrei Vasilevskiy produced a .923% and a 2.21 GAA when he was 19 while playing for Ufa Salavat Yulayev of the KHL. Again, he only played 28 games.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
7 goalies drafted in the last 6 drafts

Olivier Rodrique
Stuart skinner
Dylan wells
Sovboda who is already gone
Nagelvoort who is retired
Bouchard who is also retired

We have bad luck drafting goalies

3 of those goalies are doing decent...

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Going off the board for a double over ager for a goalie when we wasted a pick on Hawkey who is good who we are not signing...

Seems like a bad use of a 3rd

Honestly have no idea why we are not signing. Why even trade for him? His name? Because it was close to Marvels Endgame?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
As I stated before with Koskinen. Ignore save % because in most khl arenas the home teams keep manual track of shots and let's just say I have seen a few games where 35 shots were awarded but I only counted maybe 20.

Eeek! That's terrible then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->