Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by McDNicks17, Jun 27, 2019.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aceboogie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I had said I wasnt meaning he was th ebest D on the team in his post drfat year. It was the year prior to him coming over (draft +2). It was in response to the post the Klefbom looked average in the SEL prior to coming over. I had also acknowledged that Broberg is yet to play his draft +2 year so could make that jump Klefbom did. For what its worth, Klefbom made the WJC all star team in 2011-12 or his draft +1 year. So while he was struggling for ice time vs mean in the SEL, he was very good in the WJCs against his peers (again, for what its worth)

This is true. The only disappointing thing is the lack of positive reports about his play. Its not concerning this year, because at 19, alot of young D dont get many chances. If next year, the reports about play arent good, that is concerning. Points in the SEL are not a great indicator

LaGu and MessierII like this.
  2. nexttothemoon 1 out of 13 ain't bad.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I didn't like the pick either... wanted Kaliyev because that guy is a lethal scorer and for a lazy player... he sure scores a lot... just wait for him to wake up and actually try.

Saying that... scouts and GM's make mistakes all the time and even if this Broberg pick doesn't pan out it won't be the 1st and certainly not the last poorly chosen player in a high draft spot (as we've seen before in this org as well unfortunately).

Like others here I obviously hope Broberg doesn't bust because it would be good to have another decent D prospect actually turn out.

3. Drai Fi Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There are some real bad takes in this thread.

7 months after being a top 10 pick in the NHL draft he may not even worth a second rounder to some people? Seriously?

I wanted a forward too but to suggest Broberg is a bust when he’s having a fine season in a men’s league as a 18yr old is absolutely comical.

And people are putting way too much stock in the World Junior’s. The kid was put in a shutdown role on a stacked defensive team, in a tournament geared towards 19yr olds and did a good job. Pulju was amazing at the WJ’s and it didn’t mean anything.

Hopefully he continues to develop well and make some of you eat some serious crow. We should all be rooting for his success, regardless of who you wanted on Draft Day.

4. Daryls Nose Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Its unbelievable to me how so many think its some sort of a linear progression, especially with bigger guys and d-men.
    Like, do they read?They seem to think they know alot though

ujju2 and Bryanbryoil like this.
  5. JordanGalhanth Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Same with a number of Oilers prospects... :sarcasm: :naughty:

6. Beerfish Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Well the bad thing about the Broberg pick imo is that #1 there were prime forwards on the board at the time of the pick. We have some decent Dman prospect but almost no forwards who look like top end players.

On top of that personally I dislike the SHL development or any euro development for draft picks. I want my players to play a lot in all situations, get used to the north american game and get the confidence that comes with being a top player on your team. But is just me.

CycloneSweep and Double A RON like this.
  7. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    5 years is literally a lifetime for a prospect. His issue is not skating which can take years to improve to a NHL caliber, he has that in droves. His problem isn't a lack of size or strength especially for his age. Like every prospect he needs time to hone his skills and improve his overall game and gain confidence. He could be anywhere from 1-4 or more years out, acting like 5 years is the magic # is just throwing darts at a dart board.

If they are on their ELC we sure can. Not to mention if we get such a player we could see one of those vets moved, likely Klef.

Broberg has Nurse's skating at the same age and is probably even better in that regard. What set Nurse apart was his physical game which neither of the other 2 have much of. Broberg IMO definitely has the potential to be the best of the 3. Nurse IIRC wasn't even on the WJC's draft+1 like Broberg was.

And for some Bear didn't project to be better than Benning. There is literally a ton of time for these 2 to show us what their upsides are. We may not have a potential franchise anchoring D but if B&B hit their potentials that would be one hell of a top pairing.

Remember when we drafted Puljujarvi because he was NHL ready? Good times. Everyone is creaming themselves over Zegras, what if he becomes another Mittlestadt?

8. oilexport Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not a great pick considering our challenges at forward. Holland failed on this one, even if hes a player.

9. Lord Falstaff Rebooting myself Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    currently creating a new identity

I still have grave concerns over the pick but the pick was not about this season or next it is about 21/22 and the fact we only have Klefbom and Jones signed

10. nuck Pelgrane

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That seems like an odd take when you look at Byfield, or Caufield or Byram or Turcotte in this tournament. He is playing in a men's pro league when most of last years draft are still amateurs and he is years younger than the next D on his pro club. I don't even look at Euros that stay across the pond for their first couple of years. Podkolzin looked good in the U20 but his pro stats over in Russian are nothing. The only way we would have good context on Broberg's game would maybe be if he came over and played Major Junior like Sandin did but that is actually much less challenging than the path he took. Euro pro is a weird development curve.

Not saying we won't call the guy a dud in a few years but right now there is no evidence that he isn't getting better every year. I have no issue with this pick. Huge and fast is a rare combination. Let's revisit this next year when he is a 19 year old in next years tourney. I am as quick to crap on a bad pick as anyone else but I think this is way too early to be concerned.

11. Aceboogie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Broberg was ranked in the 13 to 20 range. He wasnt a regular top 10 pick. He was a top 10 pick because it was a reach. If other teams ranked him as most top scouts did, hes a mid first pick. Not to mention, he didnt do himself much favours this year. Not a bad year, but didnt prove anyone wrong.

The sky isnt falling, noone is calling him a bust. He was a questionable pick at the time and he continues to be that. Pre draft Broberg was the guy Oiler fana wanted to stay away from at our pick. Doesnt change because we picked him

DingDongCharlie and oilexport like this.
  12. Aceboogie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Best hope for him is to follow the Lindholm path. H Lindholm was a "reach" in the top 10. But impressed a ton after. Linhdolms first year in the AHL was tremendous

13. Senor Catface Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    A select few, including Aerchon, have called him a bust since the day he was drafted. They deserved to be called out for it.

14. McXLNC97 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I know. The guy is still 5 months away from turining 19 years old and people are writing him off....but we should be used to it on HF Oil....Yamamoto was getting trashed as well, and still does by some people, even though the guy just turned 21.

ThePhoenixx likes this.
  15. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, the list goes on.

ThePhoenixx likes this.
  16. McXLNC97 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    How did he fail even if Broberg turns out to be a player? There's no guarantees out there the forwards like Zegras are going to pan out to high end guys. I remember people all drooling over Casey Mittelstadt, and here he is having trouble doing much in the NHL, as a matter of fact, he's sitting in the AHL and not doing much there either.

LaGu and Bryanbryoil like this.
  17. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Exactly what I said a handful of posts above yours.

18. nexttothemoon 1 out of 13 ain't bad.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Keep in mind that there's a little more nuance for some of us here than prospect A is shit... prospect B is an ace.

It's perfectly valid to see some prospects as better picks than others even though both may turn out eventually... just that some have higher ceilings and will turn out to be better NHL players than others... and fill different roles on their teams as well.

There's certainly no issue with different opinions on prospects seeing as the "pros" in the NHL get it wrong as often as they get it right as evidenced by all the busts and underperformers relative to draft position from every draft.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    CycloneSweep likes this.
  19. PBandJ Turning a new leaf

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This is the big thing.

Most of us who questioned the pick got told to shut up and fall in line, so naturally we're wondering what is happening. I think we mostly expected some improvement. Instead he can barely get minutes in the SHL and made little to no impact at the WJC, which is especially curious because we were told he would run roughshod over his peers.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  20. GOilers88 Fer Da

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    How so many people can claim to actually follow hockey but declare bust this, garbage that after a year or two of being drafted always amuses me. Any sport for that matter.

Daryls Nose likes this.
  21. McDNicks17 Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nothing wrong with 14 minutes per night for an 18 year old defenseman in the SHL.

ImJustJokinen, Oilhawks, LaGu and 4 others like this.
  22. McXLNC97 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Lol...that's trippy, i didn't even realize you had mentioned the Mittelstadt comparison earlier in the thread until i just went back and read it now.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  23. Anarchism Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Why haven't we packaged this guy up with anothern asset and got two useful assets that can play next year and long term??

24. Seachd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    [​IMG]

Llamamoto49, McXLNC97 and Bryanbryoil like this.
  25. Rufus Aslegard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Kaliyev has a funky birthday. He is actually 20 and has a fake passport.

Also Kaliyev is a slow skater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.