Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You're 1 year off.

He did not look great at all, or even close to beeing best D on his team after the draft. He was sent to juniors twice and often played below 10 mins when on the team.

This quick-fix bs needs to stop. Let the kid develop in peace for freaks sake. He is on a D with two Ds who play regularly on the Swe national team (25, 28 years old), 1 D who is just back from AHL/NHL (27 years old), one who this season is top 3 D in the league (26 years old) and Berglund (22 years old) who is having a bounce back season (which is awesome for edm).

100% I'd keep him in SHL over NA juniors. Have a serious look at Swedish top 15 (or top 20 if you wish) picks defensemen developed in SHL for success rate.

I had said I wasnt meaning he was th ebest D on the team in his post drfat year. It was the year prior to him coming over (draft +2). It was in response to the post the Klefbom looked average in the SEL prior to coming over. I had also acknowledged that Broberg is yet to play his draft +2 year so could make that jump Klefbom did. For what its worth, Klefbom made the WJC all star team in 2011-12 or his draft +1 year. So while he was struggling for ice time vs mean in the SEL, he was very good in the WJCs against his peers (again, for what its worth)

People need to stop talking about Broberg's production in his league like it matters.

The greatest offensive defenseman of the last 10 years, Karlsson, had a whopping 10 points in 45 games at the same age. And that's a guy who dismantled the NHL for 6-7 years, offensively.

This is true. The only disappointing thing is the lack of positive reports about his play. Its not concerning this year, because at 19, alot of young D dont get many chances. If next year, the reports about play arent good, that is concerning. Points in the SEL are not a great indicator

Reactions: LaGu and MessierII

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I didn't like the pick either... wanted Kaliyev because that guy is a lethal scorer and for a lazy player... he sure scores a lot... just wait for him to wake up and actually try.

Saying that... scouts and GM's make mistakes all the time and even if this Broberg pick doesn't pan out it won't be the 1st and certainly not the last poorly chosen player in a high draft spot (as we've seen before in this org as well unfortunately).

Like others here I obviously hope Broberg doesn't bust because it would be good to have another decent D prospect actually turn out.

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
There are some real bad takes in this thread.

7 months after being a top 10 pick in the NHL draft he may not even worth a second rounder to some people? Seriously?

I wanted a forward too but to suggest Broberg is a bust when he’s having a fine season in a men’s league as a 18yr old is absolutely comical.

And people are putting way too much stock in the World Junior’s. The kid was put in a shutdown role on a stacked defensive team, in a tournament geared towards 19yr olds and did a good job. Pulju was amazing at the WJ’s and it didn’t mean anything.

Hopefully he continues to develop well and make some of you eat some serious crow. We should all be rooting for his success, regardless of who you wanted on Draft Day.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Its unbelievable to me how so many think its some sort of a linear progression, especially with bigger guys and d-men.
Like, do they read?They seem to think they know alot though

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the bad thing about the Broberg pick imo is that #1 there were prime forwards on the board at the time of the pick. We have some decent Dman prospect but almost no forwards who look like top end players.

On top of that personally I dislike the SHL development or any euro development for draft picks. I want my players to play a lot in all situations, get used to the north american game and get the confidence that comes with being a top player on your team. But is just me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Broberg is fine prospect, but just wrong fit with the Oilers. The Oilers are in a stage where they need an impact prospect pretty quickly. And these days, top 10 picks can be big contributors in year 1 or 2 post draft. Broberg is a 5 year work in project, and in a position we have good depth long term in

Broberg would have been a great fit for a team like Detriot entering a rebuild who have the luxury of time.

I wont write off Broberg due to SEL play, because transferring from that league to NHL is so wonky. Guys like Runblad can crush it and fail here, or a guy like Klingberg can be meh and then crush it in the NHL. But the fit is still not right

5 years is literally a lifetime for a prospect. His issue is not skating which can take years to improve to a NHL caliber, he has that in droves. His problem isn't a lack of size or strength especially for his age. Like every prospect he needs time to hone his skills and improve his overall game and gain confidence. He could be anywhere from 1-4 or more years out, acting like 5 years is the magic # is just throwing darts at a dart board.

In a cap world we can't afford better guys than Nurse Klefbom.

Bouchard is key. A guy that "should" provide elite offense from the back end. Even if he doesn't bring the complete package.

If they are on their ELC we sure can. Not to mention if we get such a player we could see one of those vets moved, likely Klef.

Klefbom was the teams best D when the made the playoffs. He can have down stretches, but hes easily a top pairing D (more of a #2). Nurse I agree with, hes a #4. Bouchard could be the #1 D we need

Broberg will have to have everything go right with development to be a top pairing D. Broberg has no better shot at being a top pairing D than Nurse or Klefbom had. Broberg was ranked in the 13-18 range, same as Klefbom. Nurse was a top 10 ranked prospect. Nurse/Broberg/Klefbom were all the same tier as prospects. Klefbom had everything go right, Nurse did almost everything right. I am not betting on everything going right with another D prospect

Broberg has Nurse's skating at the same age and is probably even better in that regard. What set Nurse apart was his physical game which neither of the other 2 have much of. Broberg IMO definitely has the potential to be the best of the 3. Nurse IIRC wasn't even on the WJC's draft+1 like Broberg was.

The problem is that Bouchard and Broberg don't project to be better than those guys so unless the Oilers can trade for one, it's likely to be a problem going forward as well.

The reality is that the Oilers are always going to have a D by committee as opposed to having a franchise anchor. Their elite talent will always be up front, not on the blueline.

And for some Bear didn't project to be better than Benning. There is literally a ton of time for these 2 to show us what their upsides are. We may not have a potential franchise anchoring D but if B&B hit their potentials that would be one hell of a top pairing.

Didnt like the pick .....Broberg at least 3 years away from impact D ....maybe four years.....if ever.
Given McDavid years.....bad pick....
Recommend him to part of package ....in trade before deadline or before draft to pick up a long term asset we can use by next year.....Top 6 LW...3c...or a 1B goalie

Remember when we drafted Puljujarvi because he was NHL ready? Good times. Everyone is creaming themselves over Zegras, what if he becomes another Mittlestadt?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Not a great pick considering our challenges at forward. Holland failed on this one, even if hes a player.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not a great pick considering our challenges at forward. Holland failed on this one, even if hes a player.

That seems like an odd take when you look at Byfield, or Caufield or Byram or Turcotte in this tournament. He is playing in a men's pro league when most of last years draft are still amateurs and he is years younger than the next D on his pro club. I don't even look at Euros that stay across the pond for their first couple of years. Podkolzin looked good in the U20 but his pro stats over in Russian are nothing. The only way we would have good context on Broberg's game would maybe be if he came over and played Major Junior like Sandin did but that is actually much less challenging than the path he took. Euro pro is a weird development curve.

Not saying we won't call the guy a dud in a few years but right now there is no evidence that he isn't getting better every year. I have no issue with this pick. Huge and fast is a rare combination. Let's revisit this next year when he is a 19 year old in next years tourney. I am as quick to crap on a bad pick as anyone else but I think this is way too early to be concerned.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

7 months after being a top 10 pick in the NHL draft he may not even worth a second rounder to some people? Seriously?

I wanted a forward too but to suggest Broberg is a bust when he’s having a fine season in a men’s league as a 18yr old is absolutely comical.

And people are putting way too much stock in the World Junior’s. The kid was put in a shutdown role on a stacked defensive team, in a tournament geared towards 19yr olds and did a good job. Pulju was amazing at the WJ’s and it didn’t mean anything.

Hopefully he continues to develop well and make some of you eat some serious crow. We should all be rooting for his success, regardless of who you wanted on Draft Day.

Broberg was ranked in the 13 to 20 range. He wasnt a regular top 10 pick. He was a top 10 pick because it was a reach. If other teams ranked him as most top scouts did, hes a mid first pick. Not to mention, he didnt do himself much favours this year. Not a bad year, but didnt prove anyone wrong.

The sky isnt falling, noone is calling him a bust. He was a questionable pick at the time and he continues to be that. Pre draft Broberg was the guy Oiler fana wanted to stay away from at our pick. Doesnt change because we picked him

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Best hope for him is to follow the Lindholm path. H Lindholm was a "reach" in the top 10. But impressed a ton after. Linhdolms first year in the AHL was tremendous

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Broberg was ranked in the 13 to 20 range. He wasnt a regular top 10 pick. He was a top 10 pick because it was a reach. If other teams ranked him as most top scouts did, hes a mid first pick. Not to mention, he didnt do himself much favours this year. Not a bad year, but didnt prove anyone wrong.

The sky isnt falling, noone is calling him a bust. He was a questionable pick at the time and he continues to be that. Pre draft Broberg was the guy Oiler fana wanted to stay away from at our pick. Doesnt change because we picked him

A select few, including Aerchon, have called him a bust since the day he was drafted. They deserved to be called out for it.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

I know. The guy is still 5 months away from turining 19 years old and people are writing him off....but we should be used to it on HF Oil....Yamamoto was getting trashed as well, and still does by some people, even though the guy just turned 21.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know. The guy is still 5 months away from turining 19 years old and people are writing him off....but we should be used to it on HF Oil....Yamamoto was getting trashed as well, and still does by some people, even though the guy just turned 21.

Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, the list goes on.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

How did he fail even if Broberg turns out to be a player? There's no guarantees out there the forwards like Zegras are going to pan out to high end guys. I remember people all drooling over Casey Mittelstadt, and here he is having trouble doing much in the NHL, as a matter of fact, he's sitting in the AHL and not doing much there either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How did he fail even if Broberg turns out to be a player? There's no guarantees out there the forwards like Zegras are going to pan out to high end guys. I remember people all drooling over Casey Mittelstadt, and here he is having trouble doing much in the NHL, as a matter of fact, he's sitting in the AHL and not doing much there either.

Exactly what I said a handful of posts above yours.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Keep in mind that there's a little more nuance for some of us here than prospect A is shit... prospect B is an ace.

It's perfectly valid to see some prospects as better picks than others even though both may turn out eventually... just that some have higher ceilings and will turn out to be better NHL players than others... and fill different roles on their teams as well.

There's certainly no issue with different opinions on prospects seeing as the "pros" in the NHL get it wrong as often as they get it right as evidenced by all the busts and underperformers relative to draft position from every draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

This is the big thing.

Most of us who questioned the pick got told to shut up and fall in line, so naturally we're wondering what is happening. I think we mostly expected some improvement. Instead he can barely get minutes in the SHL and made little to no impact at the WJC, which is especially curious because we were told he would run roughshod over his peers.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
How so many people can claim to actually follow hockey but declare bust this, garbage that after a year or two of being drafted always amuses me. Any sport for that matter.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is the big thing.

Most of us who questioned the pick got told to shut up and fall in line, so naturally we're wondering what is happening. I think we mostly expected some improvement. Instead he can barely get minutes in the SHL and made little to no impact at the WJC, which is especially curious because we were told he would run roughshod over his peers.

Nothing wrong with 14 minutes per night for an 18 year old defenseman in the SHL.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

sQH2GUp.gif

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I didn't like the pick either... wanted Kaliyev because that guy is a lethal scorer and for a lazy player... he sure scores a lot... just wait for him to wake up and actually try.

Saying that... scouts and GM's make mistakes all the time and even if this Broberg pick doesn't pan out it won't be the 1st and certainly not the last poorly chosen player in a high draft spot (as we've seen before in this org as well unfortunately).

Like others here I obviously hope Broberg doesn't bust because it would be good to have another decent D prospect actually turn out.

Kaliyev has a funky birthday. He is actually 20 and has a fake passport.

Also Kaliyev is a slow skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->