Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Didnt like the pick .....Broberg at least 3 years away from impact D ....maybe four years.....if ever.
Given McDavid years.....bad pick....
Recommend him to part of package ....in trade before deadline or before draft to pick up a long term asset we can use by next year.....Top 6 LW...3c...or a 1B goalie

The even worse thing with project picks is that their value seems to decrease post draft because they are "hidden" away not doing much noteworthy immediately post draft. Id be interested in which pick we could get for Broberg in this years draft? 15? 20?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Bouchard far from ready....
Right now he would cost alot more goals at the NHL level....
Lets see where he is at by this time next year.
The upside is tantalizing....lets not screw up his development.

Right now, Bouchard would need sheltered minutes in the bottom pairing.

He would get eaten alive by other team's top six forwards.

Oilers fans would be all over this player if he were to be playing NHL minutes now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The even worse thing with project picks is that their value seems to decrease post draft because they are "hidden" away not doing much noteworthy immediately post draft. Id be interested in which pick we could get for Broberg in this years draft? 15? 20?

Broberg was barely worth a 15 to 20 in last year's weaker draft. That's where he was projected to go.

Depending on how the tiers of this draft shake out Broberg might not be worth even a second rounder in a stronger draft.

I have not done enough research to say how good/deeper this draft is but just shooting from the hip I would guess Broberg has tanked his value enough that we would be lucky to get a mid second.

A big fast skating LD with questionable IQ, upside, and a long lead time would not exactly be in high demand.

If a forward prospect with legit top 6 talent was available I think most GMs in Hollands position would trade him faster than lightning.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Broberg was barely worth a 15 to 20 in last year's weaker draft. That's where he was projected to go.

Depending on how the tiers of this draft shake out Broberg might not be worth even a second rounder in a stronger draft.

I have not done enough research to say how good/deeper this draft is but just shooting from the hip I would guess Broberg has tanked his value enough that we would be lucky to get a mid second.

A big fast skating LD with questionable IQ, upside, and a long lead time would not exactly be in high demand.

If a forward prospect with legit top 6 talent was available I think most GMs in Hollands position would trade him faster than lightning.

Should have taken Zegras. We knew it at the time.

When Holland was with Detroit they were looking a D-man in the draft. All Detroit was thinking was defenseman for the 2019 draft.

A month before the draft, Holland joins Edmonton. He is not familiar with the Oilers roster and is still in the mindset of picking a defenseman in 2019.

Thusly, Oilers pick a defenseman in 2019.

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Turcotte

Were consensus top 5.

If you remember, Zegras, Caufield, Cozens, Podkolzin were all in that next group. Was not high on Podkolzin before the draft, but was hoping that Zegras or Cozens would fall to Edmonton.

I would have even taken Krebs in hindsight. No one was really thinking Broberg or Soderstrom at the draft until Stauffer started dropping hints that the Oilers were interested in Broberg.

Having said that, I am desperately hoping that Broberg turns out to be a top pairing Dman.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Right now, Bouchard would need sheltered minutes in the bottom pairing.

He would get eaten alive by other team's top six forwards.

Oilers fans would be all over this player if he were to be playing NHL minutes now.

I don’t understand this.

Bouchard has already played in the nhl years ago and fans were debating keeping him for the year. He played "well" overall. Suspect defensively but his outstanding puck moving made him still effective.

He wasn't getting "eaten alive".

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don’t understand this.

Bouchard has already played in the nhl years ago and fans were debating keeping him for the year. He played "well" overall. Suspect defensively but his outstanding puck moving made him still effective.

He wasn't getting "eaten alive".

Not sure I get this. He played 7 games, had one goal, and was -5. I don't remember him being all that.

Reactions: mouz135

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not sure I get this. He played 7 games, had one goal, and was -5. I don't remember him being all that.

He was the best puck moving defenseman the Oilers had in those 7 games. Both fans and media commented as such. It was a big thing to decide to send him down. Rumor is McLellan veto'd Chiarelli to send him back to junior.

Of course he was also poor defensively but not getting "eaten alive" per say.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He was the best puck moving defenseman the Oilers had in those 7 games. Both fans and media commented as such. It was a big thing to decide to send him down. Rumor is McLellan veto'd Chiarelli to send him back to junior.

Of course he was also poor defensively but not getting "eaten alive" per say.

Getting eaten alive by the fans.

Right now, I expect he would be playing bottom pairing and would be getting some PP time.

He would also be on for a lot of goals against. It would be costing the team wins.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Right now, I expect he would be playing bottom pairing and would be getting some PP time.

He would also be on for a lot of goals against. It would be costing the team wins.

Exactly. Bouchard needs to learn how to play defense in the AHL. I would think that if he continues to develop well, he might split time in the AHL/NHL next year, and then be a main-stay with the big club in 2021/22. There is no rush to bring him up at all. Jones/Benning is a fine enough, relatively cheap, 3rd pairing.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Bouchard is leading the AHL in true rookie defenceman scoring. He's 2nd behind a '96 birthday. It's Broberg I'm worried about. Let's get him to Hamilton where he can play 30 minutes a game and dominate.

Reactions: Aerchon

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Bouchard is leading the AHL in true rookie defenceman scoring. He's 2nd behind a '96 birthday. It's Broberg I'm worried about. Let's get him to Hamilton where he can play 30 minutes a game and dominate.

The '30 minutes a game and dominate' thing is a pipe dream.

There's no way on God's green earth that I could see Woodcroft having a Euro rookie dman playing more minutes than Day, Lagesson or even Bouchard, never mind 30 minutes/game. He'd probably be getting the same minutes that Samurokuv gets, if that.

At the end of the day, Woodcroft is trying to win games too. Yeah it's a development league, but as we've seen from AHL teams in years past it's kinda hard to develop good habits and confidence in your young players when your team is getting its ass kicked on the scoreboard every night.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Exactly. Bouchard needs to learn how to play defense in the AHL. I would think that if he continues to develop well, he might split time in the AHL/NHL next year, and then be a main-stay with the big club in 2021/22. There is no rush to bring him up at all. Jones/Benning is a fine enough, relatively cheap, 3rd pairing.

My point is, during his 7 game stint he wasn't getting eaten alive by fans, media, or the nhl game.

However.

Let me be clear. I'm not advocating him to be called up asap. Learning defense at the AHL while having his offensive tools is great.

Also.

Due to our very strong depth on defense there is no reason to bring him up any time soon.

He can stay in the AHL another full year and I don't mind. Allows us to see what we have in all the other solid defense we have.

I "expect" Bouchard will be our best defenseman not in the nhl by a long shot by the end of this year if he isn't already. Next year, with a good offseason, and some more time in the ahl perhaps, he will be more than ready for the NHL.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The '30 minutes a game and dominate' thing is a pipe dream.

There's no way on God's green earth that I could see Woodcroft having a Euro rookie dman playing more minutes than Day, Lagesson or even Bouchard, never mind 30 minutes/game. He'd probably be getting the same minutes that Samurokuv gets, if that.

At the end of the day, Woodcroft is trying to win games too. Yeah it's a development league, but as we've seen from AHL teams in years past it's kinda hard to develop good habits and confidence in your young players when your team is getting its ass kicked on the scoreboard every night.
I said Hamilton, the OHL team. I wouldn't expect Broberg playing 30 minutes a game in the AHL lol.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm still optimistic for Broberg, but I don't get why you use a top 10 pick on a dman, that you not only don't project to be a #1, but you don't even see them running a top powerplay.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Klefbom was doing extremely well in the SEL prior to injury. Man Swedish posters who followed the team had him as the best D. He wasnt putting up points but was doing everything else. He was also the best D at the WJC when he did play against his peers

The only time Klefbom was average in the SEL was pre draft year
You're 1 year off.

He did not look great at all, or even close to beeing best D on his team after the draft. He was sent to juniors twice and often played below 10 mins when on the team.

This quick-fix bs needs to stop. Let the kid develop in peace for freaks sake. He is on a D with two Ds who play regularly on the Swe national team (25, 28 years old), 1 D who is just back from AHL/NHL (27 years old), one who this season is top 3 D in the league (26 years old) and Berglund (22 years old) who is having a bounce back season (which is awesome for edm).

100% I'd keep him in SHL over NA juniors. Have a serious look at Swedish top 15 (or top 20 if you wish) picks defensemen developed in SHL for success rate.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
No need to worry about Broberg. He is the next Lidstrom. Just not as good offensively. Or defensively.

Neither was Lidstrom at that age.
Not saying Broberg is Lidstrom but we will not know what we have in him for a few years.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Neither was Lidstrom at that age.
Not saying Broberg is Lidstrom but we will not know what we have in him for a few years.
Broberg should be Hedman at the same age, otherwise obviously bust.

By the way, I remember years of defending Hedman when he did not live up to expectations during his first years in NHL. I think most have forgot that period, it was pretty bad.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
People need to stop talking about Broberg's production in his league like it matters.

The greatest offensive defenseman of the last 10 years, Karlsson, had a whopping 10 points in 45 games at the same age. And that's a guy who dismantled the NHL for 6-7 years, offensively.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
People need to stop talking about Broberg's production in his league like it matters.

The greatest offensive defenseman of the last 10 years, Karlsson, had a whopping 10 points in 45 games at the same age. And that's a guy who dismantled the NHL for 6-7 years, offensively.

You mean Andreas?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You mean Andreas?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad