Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:handclap:
I've asked this a couple of times, but you're the first one with a clear answer. That's good news, and for me personally it will ease the pain a bit if he goes to the OHLI wish he'd stay in SHL... I wish he'd stay in SHL. Just looking at one answer from development camp when asked about why/how he was better at skating drills, he basically said he had done all of them before in Sweden. Keep that up imo.

... but he'll prob be in OHL. And it'll be fine as well.

The OHL is an excellent development league, I prefer that option then SHL/AHL the following year.

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
He’s already over 200 pounds and he looks quite thin, in a good way. When he becomes a man he’s going to be a big guy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if at 6’3 he’s in the 220-225 range with the frame he has when he hits his prime in his mid 20s.

He was one of the younger guys in the draft this year too. He could easily still add another inch, possibly even two.

6'5, 220 D that skates like McDavid. Yeah, I'm okay with that.

Reactions: B33K33PING

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Alright, well...

The excuse for him not putting up points (which is valid) was that he is playing against men in the SEL. He is currently getting 3rd pairing minutes and providing nothing offensively. Now, we can look to players like Oscar Klefbom who struggled similarly before coming over to North America, and took a few extra years to turn into a decent defenceman. Or we can look at a guy like Victor Hedman who dominated that league in his draft year.

Either way, it's concerning. Broberg also played 3rd pairing at the world juniors, putting up 1 point in 7 games. He hasn't shown a capability for providing offence, even among his own age group.

I would start to consider bringing him over to play in the WHL. Who owns his rights there? I know SEL is a good league for teaching how to defend against men, but we need this kid to develop some offence. ASAP. His skating is way too good to...if he could bring some offence to his game, he will be a superstar. He just isn't getting enough minutes, and this was a big topic of discussion between the player and our GM in the offseason.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Alright, well...

The excuse for him not putting up points (which is valid) was that he is playing against men in the SEL. He is currently getting 3rd pairing minutes and providing nothing offensively. Now, we can look to players like Oscar Klefbom who struggled similarly before coming over to North America, and took a few extra years to turn into a decent defenceman. Or we can look at a guy like Victor Hedman who dominated that league in his draft year.

Either way, it's concerning. Broberg also played 3rd pairing at the world juniors, putting up 1 point in 7 games. He hasn't shown a capability for providing offence, even among his own age group.

I would start to consider bringing him over to play in the WHL. Who owns his rights there? I know SEL is a good league for teaching how to defend against men, but we need this kid to develop some offence. ASAP. His skating is way too good to...if he could bring some offence to his game, he will be a superstar. He just isn't getting enough minutes, and this was a big topic of discussion between the player and our GM in the offseason.

Leave him there to finish the season off and then bring him to Bakersfield. Most defensemen coming out of junior have a hard time with the defensive side of the game. If he has that down pat then it'll make his transition easier to the AHL where he can work on the rest of his game.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
OHL... Hamilton.
Interesting. I wonder if the Oilers would try to get him to the Oil Kings or something like that to closer monitor his development. He is arguably our most important prospect now that Bouchard is looking near NHL ready in Bako.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hopefully he injured or something cause right now he ain't tracking like a 1st round pick let alone a top 8 OA.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Alright, well...

Klefbom was doing extremely well in the SEL prior to injury. Man Swedish posters who followed the team had him as the best D. He wasnt putting up points but was doing everything else. He was also the best D at the WJC when he did play against his peers

The only time Klefbom was average in the SEL was pre draft year

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Didn't like the pick, but I know that Broberg is very young and incredibly raw. I know people are worried but honestly I'm personally disregarding his first couple post-draft seasons.

I honestly don't have any issues with a LD depth of Klefbomb/Nurse/Jones/Lagesson for the time being. We have the luxury of taking our time with a prospect, let's take advantage of that. Fortunately, we have a great set of coaching staff in Bakersfield & Broberg will have significant competition in Samorukov.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Klefbom was doing extremely well in the SEL prior to injury. Man Swedish posters who followed the team had him as the best D. He wasnt putting up points but was doing everything else. He was also the best D at the WJC when he did play against his peers

The only time Klefbom was average in the SEL was pre draft year

you have been proven wrong about this over and over again yet you keep repeating it lol.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Broberg is fine prospect, but just wrong fit with the Oilers. The Oilers are in a stage where they need an impact prospect pretty quickly. And these days, top 10 picks can be big contributors in year 1 or 2 post draft. Broberg is a 5 year work in project, and in a position we have good depth long term in

Broberg would have been a great fit for a team like Detriot entering a rebuild who have the luxury of time.

I wont write off Broberg due to SEL play, because transferring from that league to NHL is so wonky. Guys like Runblad can crush it and fail here, or a guy like Klingberg can be meh and then crush it in the NHL. But the fit is still not right

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Broberg is fine prospect, but just wrong fit with the Oilers. The Oilers are in a stage where they need an impact prospect pretty quickly. And these days, top 10 picks can be big contributors in year 1 or 2 post draft. Broberg is a 5 year work in project, and in a position we have good depth long term in

Broberg would have been a great fit for a team like Detriot entering a rebuild who have the luxury of time.

I wont write off Broberg due to SEL play, because transferring from that league to NHL is so wonky. Guys like Runblad can crush it and fail here, or a guy like Klingberg can be meh and then crush it in the NHL. But the fit is still not right

If we want to go anywhere as a team our best defenseman cannot be Nurse or Klefbom.

Reactions: Coffey and duul

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Alright, well...

At the U18 tournaments he has played in against his peers he has 20 points in 24 games. He can create offense against his peers if that’s what is asked of him.

Using a 7 game sample where he had the most defensive zone shift starts and started every PK (except for a couple penalties to him) and the least offensive zone starts to judge his ability to create offense is not wise. Clearly he was being used in a shutdown role and in most games led the Swedes in PK and EV shifts as their youngest Dman.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If we want to go anywhere as a team our best defenseman cannot be Nurse or Klefbom.

In a cap world we can't afford better guys than Nurse Klefbom.

Bouchard is key. A guy that "should" provide elite offense from the back end. Even if he doesn't bring the complete package.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
you have been proven wrong about this over and over again yet you keep repeating it lol.

No I havent lol. Klefbom in his last year was doing extremely well. That was a major reason it was a bummer he ran head first into the boards and injured his shoulder

I am not talking about Klefbom in his draft +1 (which he was meh and struggling for ice time, same a Broberg), I am talking about Klefbom in his draft +2 year

If by proven wrong, you mean this post:

Klefbom in the autumn of his first season after being drafted was not at all better than Broberg is currently, and he was far away from the top pair. He was sent down to juniors a couple of times and often played minutes in the single digits. People on here were worried about it as well if I remember correctly.

Until January 2012 he had only played 17 games and with 0 pts. His ice time increased going forward from there, and I will also agree that he looked really really good in his draft + 2 season before getting injured.

Broberg and Klefbom at the same age are similar. Klefbom then turned it on his last SEL season prior to coming over. Broberg will have to do that next year

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was surprised and upset with the pick initially as well, but there feels like there's a confirmation bias based around still being upset at the pick so nothing he is doing or can do will justify his existence as a top prospect.

Reactions: LaGu

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Klefbom was the teams best D when the made the playoffs. He can have down stretches, but hes easily a top pairing D (more of a #2). Nurse I agree with, hes a #4. Bouchard could be the #1 D we need

Broberg will have to have everything go right with development to be a top pairing D. Broberg has no better shot at being a top pairing D than Nurse or Klefbom had. Broberg was ranked in the 13-18 range, same as Klefbom. Nurse was a top 10 ranked prospect. Nurse/Broberg/Klefbom were all the same tier as prospects. Klefbom had everything go right, Nurse did almost everything right. I am not betting on everything going right with another D prospect

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The problem is that Bouchard and Broberg don't project to be better than those guys so unless the Oilers can trade for one, it's likely to be a problem going forward as well.

The reality is that the Oilers are always going to have a D by committee as opposed to having a franchise anchor. Their elite talent will always be up front, not on the blueline.

Reactions: Anarchism

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Didnt like the pick .....Broberg at least 3 years away from impact D ....maybe four years.....if ever.
Given McDavid years.....bad pick....
Recommend him to part of package ....in trade before deadline or before draft to pick up a long term asset we can use by next year.....Top 6 LW...3c...or a 1B goalie

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Bouchard far from ready....
Right now he would cost alot more goals at the NHL level....
Lets see where he is at by this time next year.
The upside is tantalizing....lets not screw up his development.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Wrong fit. Funny. 6 months into it.
Impact prospect?Thats a funny phrase

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad