Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's a #1 dman, i'd imagine we'd all be happy short of CycloneSweep.
If he turned into Klefbom with better skating and offense of course I'd be happy.

Y'all make it sound like I dislike players when they succeed. Which I never have.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm just curious on the feel Oilers fans have for their future defense. With Bear, Klefbom, Nurse, Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov you guys must be pretty happy.

I'd say overall we're happy. The consensus here was that we wanted Zegras over Broberg, and people aren't as hyped about Broberg. Reason I'd suspect is because he doesn't bring anything different from what we already have, except exceptional speed.

I'm more optimistic about Samorukov atm, just because he has it in him to take over games defensively & offensively, he's a pretty complete player. We have the luxury to slow-cook him for a couple more years in the minors and see what we got.

Don't forget Jones! Solid 2-way D on our 3rd pairing, I think he has top 4 upside but who knows if he'll actually get there.

Reactions: Andrei79

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If he turned into Klefbom with better skating and offense of course I'd be happy.

Y'all make it sound like I dislike players when they succeed. Which I never have.

I'm not convinced you even like the Oilers to be honest. It's been a tough go for a long time so i can understand how the psychological stress of losing may have caused you to be disillusioned but you're not just negative you're excessively negative whenever i read your takes. It's just ridiculous doomsayer stuff constantly, you really are the chicken little of Oiler fans to me. The sky isn't falling with Broberg or with the team, they are in the playoffs fighting to win the division and Broberg is doing something historically rare by even playing in the SHL at his age but if i went off your posts/opinions i'd think the team was still a bottom feeder and Broberg was struggling in the 2nd league.

There's little balance to your takes IMO. I would have taken Caufield or maybe Zegras, but i also know i haven't watched 1% of what i'd need to in order to make an informed decision. When I look at Broberg's skillset, evaluations of him and his projected draft rank it's not hard for me to gather why they took him. Not to be a dick but I honestly don't know how you even enjoy following this team, you're so disillusioned you've fabricating to yourself that you actually know more than a little about who they should have drafted. Have some faith, the Oilers haven't been bad at drafting for awhile and Broberg was someone more than a few scouts REALLY liked and thought had big upside. Development is such an uneven process and very difficult to measure, so why act like he's a bust with nothing to indicate such?

It's fine to have an opinion that doesn't jive with the majority but do you need to take the negative side of the argument every time? It gets obnoxious as it's not like you provide proof driven rebuttals to actual information. I find it weird when i post all the stats of 18 year old SHL dmen ever, and it shows clearly Broberg is killing it but just surviving, that you ignore it and don't even see to mention it as a positive. I was certainly pleasantly surprised, i would have thought as an Oiler fan you'd be too. Instead you drone on with this narrative it was a bad pick long before any reasonable person could know one way or the other. It's weird dude.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not convinced you even like the Oilers to be honest. It's been a tough go for a long time so i can understand how the psychological stress of losing may have caused you to be disillusioned but you're not just negative you're excessively negative whenever i read your takes. It's just ridiculous doomsayer stuff constantly, you really are the chicken little of Oiler fans to me. The sky isn't falling with Broberg or with the team, they are in the playoffs fighting to win the division and Broberg is doing something historically rare by even playing in the SHL at his age but if i went off your posts/opinions i'd think the team was still a bottom feeder and Broberg was struggling in the 2nd league.

There's little balance to your takes IMO. I would have taken Caufield or maybe Zegras, but i also know i haven't watched 1% of what i'd need to in order to make an informed decision. When I look at Broberg's skillset, evaluations of him and his projected draft rank it's not hard for me to gather why they took him. Not to be a dick but I honestly don't know how you even enjoy following this team, you're so disillusioned you've fabricating to yourself that you actually know more than a little about who they should have drafted. Have some faith, the Oilers haven't been bad at drafting for awhile and Broberg was someone more than a few scouts REALLY liked and thought had big upside. Development is such an uneven process and very difficult to measure, so why act like he's a bust with nothing to indicate such?

It's fine to have an opinion that doesn't jive with the majority but do you need to take the negative side of the argument every time? It gets obnoxious as it's not like you provide proof driven rebuttals to actual information. I find it weird when i post all the stats of 18 year old SHL dmen ever, and it shows clearly Broberg is killing it but just surviving, that you ignore it and don't even see to mention it as a positive. I was certainly pleasantly surprised, i would have thought as an Oiler fan you'd be too. Instead you drone on with this narrative it was a bad pick long before any reasonable person could know one way or the other. It's weird dude.
I'm literally not on the negative side all the time but okay dude.

And people talk all the time about picks being great or good all the time so why can't people have the opposite opinion.

You haven't posted any posts showing that he is killing it compared to other young SHL defenders. His offensive numbers are abysmal, they are expected for a kid playing on the third pairing. However defensively he isnt very good yet, which yeah it's early. My point has always been on him, his upside isn't there for a top 10 pick, especially. And I can't see why they would pick a low offense two way, left shot defender when our defensive prospects pool is decent and this team desperate needs forward help. I could of seen it if they went for a guy like Soderstrom but we will have to disagree about it.

And I'm positive about things, people just ignore it to shit on me for the negative stuff. Ive been a big pusher for Benson.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm literally not on the negative side all the time but okay dude.

And people talk all the time about picks being great or good all the time so why can't people have the opposite opinion.

You haven't posted any posts showing that he is killing it compared to other young SHL defenders. His offensive numbers are abysmal, they are expected for a kid playing on the third pairing. However defensively he isnt very good yet, which yeah it's early. My point has always been on him, his upside isn't there for a top 10 pick, especially. And I can't see why they would pick a low offense two way, left shot defender when our defensive prospects pool is decent and this team desperate needs forward help. I could of seen it if they went for a guy like Soderstrom but we will have to disagree about it.

And I'm positive about things, people just ignore it to **** on me for the negative stuff. Ive been a big pusher for Benson.
We'll just make more smallfry bets on our prospects scoring goals and they'll continue to surprise and actually fill holes :D

I'm with you on Benson. I think the kid is gonna wind up top six.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm just curious on the feel Oilers fans have for their future defense. With Bear, Klefbom, Nurse, Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov you guys must be pretty happy.

It's not bad, but it's not amazing either IMO. The only guy that stands out among those names is Bouchard. Everyone else is just kind of there. They're good d-men but none of them have any standout qualities. They are just big and well-rounded. Bouchard is the only one (potentially along with Bear, depending on how his development goes) who offers something substantial to this team. Klefbom, Nurse, Broberg and Samorukov are all solid two-way D, but none of them really moves the needle much. They are able to eat big minutes and come out okay, but that's about it. None of them are or will be game-breakers.

That's why I didn't like the Broberg pick, he just doesn't offer anything that the Oilers don't already have. It's why that pick just never made sense to me. The only thing Broberg is elite at is skating, and that doesn't really translate into anything special at the NHL level because everyone is already such a good skater. So his skating-advantage in juniors won't be nearly as pronounced at the NHL level. He'll still be in the upper echelon of skaters but he can't abuse it to create offense as easily and he's not a naturally gifted offensive player anyway so his greatest strength becomes kind of moot.

Drafting a guy because he is big and can skate is really not a great idea IMO. I much rather draft a guy like Bouchard who had some skating issues but is absolutely elite in his passing game and is also a great offensive player. Same with Draisaitl, wasn't a great skater at the draft but absolutely elite in terms of hockey IQ and playmaking. That's what you want and should be looking for at the draft. Defensive game and skating can be taught and improved, everything else not so much.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No, fan don't just make things up. Mckenzie rankings are based on 10 professional scouts who watch these kids live.
Broberg was a reach at 10 but had our GM speed struck.
Should have traded down if we were after a Dman.. Pretty sure Philly wanted to move up

Yeah, if the scouts weren't high on Zegras they should've traded down. Guys like Caufield, York, Krebs and Heinola would've still been available and all of them will IMO be as good if not better than Broberg. At least if you're gonna pick Broberg, trade down and get an extra asset for it. The guy was ranked #15 on Bobby Mac's list and all of HP, FC and ISS had him outside the top15 with HP even having him as far down as #21. There was really no need in taking him at #8.

No way he is/was a tier above the other names ranked in that range. And the worst part is that even if he hits on his potential, he still won't really offer anything the Oilers don't already have in the system or on the roster. And either way he is likely to take much longer to hit his potential than other players ranked in that range. It will likely take him at least 4-5 years to become a solid top4 d-man in the NHL. Not really sure how Holland & co justify that pick.

Reactions: Double A RON

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
No, fan don't just make things up. Mckenzie rankings are based on 10 professional scouts who watch these kids live.
Broberg was a reach at 10 but had our GM speed struck.
Should have traded down if we were after a Dman.. Pretty sure Philly wanted to move up

From what I remember, they were saying one of the teams immediately behind us wanted Broberg, so the oilers weren't able to trade down and pick their guy.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Oiler fan. lol

I doubt that.

Cheers, man.

Reactions: frag2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not bad, but it's not amazing either IMO. The only guy that stands out among those names is Bouchard. Everyone else is just kind of there. They're good d-men but none of them have any standout qualities. They are just big and well-rounded. Bouchard is the only one (potentially along with Bear, depending on how his development goes) who offers something substantial to this team. Klefbom, Nurse, Broberg and Samorukov are all solid two-way D, but none of them really moves the needle much. They are able to eat big minutes and come out okay, but that's about it. None of them are or will be game-breakers.

That's why I didn't like the Broberg pick, he just doesn't offer anything that the Oilers don't already have. It's why that pick just never made sense to me. The only thing Broberg is elite at is skating, and that doesn't really translate into anything special at the NHL level because everyone is already such a good skater. So his skating-advantage in juniors won't be nearly as pronounced at the NHL level. He'll still be in the upper echelon of skaters but he can't abuse it to create offense as easily and he's not a naturally gifted offensive player anyway so his greatest strength becomes kind of moot.

Drafting a guy because he is big and can skate is really not a great idea IMO. I much rather draft a guy like Bouchard who had some skating issues but is absolutely elite in his passing game and is also a great offensive player. Same with Draisaitl, wasn't a great skater at the draft but absolutely elite in terms of hockey IQ and playmaking. That's what you want and should be looking for at the draft. Defensive game and skating can be taught and improved, everything else not so much.

I was not a big fan of this pick either. But the funny thing is, reading your post made me somewhat more optimistic. If the Oilers could get 4 solid two way defenders out of Nurse, Klefbom, Samorukov and Broberg and if Bouchard and Bear hit their full potential I think the Oilers would have a top flight defense. Most teams have 2-3 players who are ?? in terms of where they are on the depth charts.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

It’s not the team or the players that are the issue with you on this board, your a natural pessimist, any move this organization has made, any player or prospect that plays for them you will find a way to try to shed a negative light on it. And lucky for you being an Oiler fan lately, and a pessimist, you’ve been able to be right more often then not, so this has further engrained the negativity.

So your right when you say you don’t hate players when the succeed you just hate every player till they succeed

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That's why I disagree with holland and you on the pick for a defencemen. My opinion is we have several prospects at d, hardly nothing for forwards. It's not even debatable and comparable in my mind.

It's great to build from the back and have certain philosophies on how to build a team. I would agree with all that stuff. I just believe in tailoring these methods for team needs. To expect yamo or benson or fa or college players to fill the gap up front is crazy. We need some high picks too.

Holland seems like a good gm. Everybody makes mistakes and he clearly made one with our 1st pick.

Nah, I think the D pick was a good one. All things being equal, you take the defenceman.

You can easily turn a defenceman into a forward. You can't so easily turn a forward into a defenceman. Trying to turn an F into a D gets you Larsson for Hall.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Nah, I think the D pick was a good one. All things being equal, you take the defenceman.

You can easily turn a defenceman into a forward. You can't so easily turn a forward into a defenceman. Trying to turn an F into a D gets you Larsson for Hall.
Trying to turn a D into an F gets you Jones for Johansen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
From what I remember, they were saying one of the teams immediately behind us wanted Broberg, so the oilers weren't able to trade down and pick their guy.
This is correct. Van was going to take him if we didn’t.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Uhh.....problem with always being negative? It is up to the Oilers to change this not the fans. The issue with people always being positive about every single move is at least as rampant and at least as bad as the negative nellies (of which I am one)

Go back and look at some of the threads on some really terrbile oiler moves such as the Reinhart deal and tons of people were delighted and took many shots at anyone that thought it sucked.

Start drafting and developing really good players and making the playoffs and the negatives will fall away. We have had 15 years of failure so it is up to them to make the fans think each move is going to be good rather than bad.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s not the team or the players that are the issue with you on this board, your a natural pessimist, any move this organization has made, any player or prospect that plays for them you will find a way to try to shed a negative light on it. And lucky for you being an Oiler fan lately, and a pessimist, you’ve been able to be right more often then not, so this has further engrained the negativity.

So your right when you say you don’t hate players when the succeed you just hate every player till they succeed
That's not accurate at all. I was positive on some guys and negative on others. I liked the Archibald pick up, liked Sheahan, hated Granlund. I don't hate every player till they succeed. I've never hated Bear, was pumped when he kept improving.

I hate the org for its massive history of shit trades, dumb drafting and baffling development and until that changes more than the occasional good trade and draft pick, of course I'm going to be critical. If Broberg looked like he took a step forward this year and looked like a man among boys at the world Juniors (as many people said he would for sure be) I'd be changing my tune.

This organization has some nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt, so when I see a bad move I'm going to call it out.

And to the person who said "if all picks are equal you take the defender" sure. But Broberg skillwise didn't come close to the forwards on the table. If you went by that philosophy you take Soderstrom.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Uhh.....problem with always being negative? It is up to the Oilers to change this not the fans. The issue with people always being positive about every single move is at least as rampant and at least as bad as the negative nellies (of which I am one)

Go back and look at some of the threads on some really terrbile oiler moves such as the Reinhart deal and tons of people were delighted and took many shots at anyone that thought it sucked.

Start drafting and developing really good players and making the playoffs and the negatives will fall away. We have had 15 years of failure so it is up to them to make the fans think each move is going to be good rather than bad.
It's not even that. Good teams make the odd move and the fans trust them because they have earned that. This organization has yet to prove they know what they are doing so until then guys like us will be much more critical of moves, deservingly so

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Trying to turn a D into an F gets you Jones for Johansen.

I like how you guys both use the most extreme examples you can think of to try and make some sort of point.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I like how you guys both use the most extreme examples you can think of to try and make some sort of point.
I was just making a counterpoint to his point. I was unhappy with the Broberg pick (mostly due to passing over Zegras), but I will never cheer against the kid. You always need to hope the picks/players pan out, for the sake of your team. Edmonton has a much better atmosphere when the Oilers are winning.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or some just like to *****, don't have a clue & are so certain in their views that they act like they can see into the future.
How is that any different then the people who bend over backwards to explain that Oilers management is playing some 47d chess and knows what they are doing with every single move they make?

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
How is that any different then the people who bend over backwards to explain that Oilers management is playing some 47d chess and knows what they are doing with every single move they make?
Its not. Its equally ridiculous. The nature of the beast is that with few exceptions, to a degree they are rolls of the dice

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its not. Its equally ridiculous. The nature of the beast is that with few exceptions, to a degree there are rolls of the dice
However this is a discussion board. If everyone took the "let's not talk just have blind hope and wait" nothing would be posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad