Confirmed with Link: 2019 Development Camp (June 26 - 29)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Brett Murray believes he fits the bill of a power forward.

“I like to use my size to get in on the forecheck, to disturb pucks down low,” Murray said Thursday at the Buffalo Sabres’ development camp at Harborcenter. “Get the defense off their game and once they’re a little scared, I like to get the puck, make plays and score goals."

Murray, a 6-foot-4-inch left wing from Bolton, Ont., is tactical and confident, and makes an enticing pitch, especially for someone searching for his next playing destination.

Now Murray must decide where his next stop will be.

Returning to college isn’t off the table, but it’s unlikely. He turns 21 on July 20, so he’s too old to return to the USHL or to go to the Canadian major juniors, even though the Oshawa Generals of the OHL drafted him in 2014.

He could also sign an entry-level contract to join the Sabres or sign an AHL contract.

“It’s up in the air right now,” Murray said. “I’m going to control what I can control, and just keep working hard.

“The best possible outcome would be playing at the highest level, but if that doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. And I’m going to keep chipping away.”

I’d like to see Murray get an AHL deal and start in the ECHL. See what he can do from there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Brett Murray believes he fits the bill of a power forward.

“I like to use my size to get in on the forecheck, to disturb pucks down low,” Murray said Thursday at the Buffalo Sabres’ development camp at Harborcenter. “Get the defense off their game and once they’re a little scared, I like to get the puck, make plays and score goals."

Murray, a 6-foot-4-inch left wing from Bolton, Ont., is tactical and confident, and makes an enticing pitch, especially for someone searching for his next playing destination.

Now Murray must decide where his next stop will be.

Returning to college isn’t off the table, but it’s unlikely. He turns 21 on July 20, so he’s too old to return to the USHL or to go to the Canadian major juniors, even though the Oshawa Generals of the OHL drafted him in 2014.

He could also sign an entry-level contract to join the Sabres or sign an AHL contract.

“It’s up in the air right now,” Murray said. “I’m going to control what I can control, and just keep working hard.

“The best possible outcome would be playing at the highest level, but if that doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. And I’m going to keep chipping away.”

I’d like to see Murray get an AHL deal and start in the ECHL. See what he can do from there.

I would still rather see him go to an NCAA team to work on his skating and work away from the puck for 2 more years. ECHL guys almost never make it out of there, the structure isn't there in the game to progress like there is in major junior or college. It's scrambly, and as such the only guys who seem to ever make it out are goalies (and in another era, goons).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I love the stuff about working on his edges and getting better at off-balance shots. Guy has worked to get from a seventh-rounder to where he is now. The sky could really be the limit for him.

Those are the little details that make someone a great goal-scorer at the NHL level. I'm very excited about Olofsson's future.

Reactions: jBuds

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wgr Sneakyjoe mentioned on his show last night not being impressed with him at all at camp play. Tall and not much else.

Possibly.

One of the things I have always liked about Baker is that he talks up a player's strengths rather than going into what he doesn't like about a player. Someone saying that about a kid just feeds the machine -- I'm already seeing exaggerations of Samuelsson's skating and I have a serious doubt some of those Twit-wits could have picked Samuelsson out of a U20 lineup with both hands and a map.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Possibly.

One of the things I have always liked about Baker is that he talks up a player's strengths rather than going into what he doesn't like about a player. Someone saying that about a kid just feeds the machine -- I'm already seeing exaggerations of Samuelsson's skating and I have a serious doubt some of those Twit-wits could have picked Samuelsson out of a U20 lineup with both hands and a map.

Like I have said, I always like Samuelsson when he was on the NTDP. When you put 30 pounds on in a year it's a big adjustment, especially with his size. His dad was a total pro and there is no indication he isn't the same. From everything I hear he will keep working on getting better but this is why it's good for some guys to develop in college.

He's probably at least 2 - 3 more years away between college and the Amerks but that's fine.

Reactions: Chainshot

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Like I have said, I always like Samuelsson when he was on the NTDP. When you put 30 pounds on in a year it's a big adjustment, especially with his size. His dad was a total pro and there is no indication he isn't the same. From everything I hear he will keep working on getting better but this is why it's good for some guys to develop in college.

He's probably at least 2 - 3 more years away between college and the Amerks but that's fine.

He didn't put on 30 pounds. I think that was a typo. His college web page has him listed at 221 (Mattias Samuelsson - Men's Ice Hockey - Western Michigan University Athletics). His NHL web page lists him at 217 (Mattias Samuelsson Stats and News). You can find articles from a year ago listing him at 217 also.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would still rather see him go to an NCAA team to work on his skating and work away from the puck for 2 more years. ECHL guys almost never make it out of there, the structure isn't there in the game to progress like there is in major junior or college. It's scrambly, and as such the only guys who seem to ever make it out are goalies (and in another era, goons).
Great points. I didn’t think of how much better the NCAA route would be as a skill incubator. I’m changing my vote to playing in the NCAA.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad