Confirmed with Link: 2019 Development Camp (June 26 - 29)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Details

Wed, June 26th -- 1 to 2pm, 2:30 to 3:30pm
Thu, June 27th -- 10:15 to 11:15am, 11:45am to 12:45pm
Fri, June 28th -- 10:15 to 11:15am, 12 to 1pm
Sat, June 29th -- 10:45am to 1:30pm (French Connection Tournament).

Yet again, tournament is only open to season ticket holders :eyeroll:

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Usually go every year, including last year, but I just got back from a week in Buffalo last night, and I'm back again the last week of July, so this is a no-go.

If you can make it, do it. I had a blast every year. I took days off from work and had no regrets.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Same offer I made last year. If anyone is an out of town holder or doesnt want to go to the FC tourney, I'll buy the tickets. My hockey crazed 4 yr old loves it
It's really great for younger kids--the timeframe/attention span sync of those matches is almost perfect. Going to dev/training camp sessions and the tournaments was definitely a part of how I got my daughter to get into the Sabres and when it was free it was easy enough to bring my nephews along a couple times as well. Honestly the change they made to keeping the tourney only for season ticket holders was really disappointing personally, though I don't begrudge the season ticket holders getting some extra perks for enduring the last several seasons. It's easy for me to spend the Pegulas' money and say an easy fix would be to have it in the arena instead of HC, but that's probably not practical.

Just the sessions are still worth the trip though. Missed dev camp last year for the first time in a while, but we'll make it for at least one day this year.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
It's really great for younger kids--the timeframe/attention span sync of those matches is almost perfect. Going to dev/training camp sessions and the tournaments was definitely a part of how I got my daughter to get into the Sabres and when it was free it was easy enough to bring my nephews along a couple times as well. Honestly the change they made to keeping the tourney only for season ticket holders was really disappointing personally, though I don't begrudge the season ticket holders getting some extra perks for enduring the last several seasons. It's easy for me to spend the Pegulas' money and say an easy fix would be to have it in the arena instead of HC, but that's probably not practical.

Just the sessions are still worth the trip though. Missed dev camp last year for the first time in a while, but we'll make it for at least one day this year.

For sure worth it. My kid has an absolute ball. Hes been asking about it for the last couple weeks. Already worked it out with his mother for an extra custody day next week to take him Wednesday

Reactions: Chainshot

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It will be interesting to see how the new coaching staff runs this camp. The only coaches on staff are Krueger, Bales, Granato and Smith. Last year, Chris Taylor ran many of the drills with help from the player development staff and Brian Gionta. I'm sure that will be the case this year, but it will be interesting how the new staff interacts with the prospects.

I really hope Krueger's presence is evident during the camp. Last year Housley appeared disinterested. Here was a quote from last year's development camp thread. I witnessed the same thing.

One thing really irritated me at the morning practice. I was sitting opposite the Sabres management box. Along with 7 or 8 other people in the box were Botts and the Pegula's.

In strolls Housley just as practice is about to start, or had already started, he goes and stands in the corner where no one else is nearby, and proceeds to stare at his phone for the better part of 20 minutes....talking with no one during this time. I know it is just a bunch of kids practicing(most of whom will never see the NHL), but when your owner(s) and GM are all within 10 ft. of you, and you the HC of the team are oblivious to the goings on, it didn't seem like a good look.

BTW, later on during the 2nd half of the morning session, Botts went down in the stands, and was sitting with Dahlin's family(while watching the practice with them) for ~10 minutes...at least I think that was them. Nice touch on his part.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So are any of the regulars heading down to watch practice? As an out-of-towner, what's the process these days? Asking for a friend son who will be in town next week and is super excited by the idea of going to watch any of these. We used to do this as father-son time before leaving town in 2013.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
So are any of the regulars heading down to watch practice? As an out-of-towner, what's the process these days? Asking for a friend son who will be in town next week and is super excited by the idea of going to watch any of these. We used to do this as father-son time before leaving town in 2013.

I should be there Wednesday. Usually first day is on ice drills.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I might be able to make it down for the Thursday sessions if anyone is gonna be there, but I'm stuck at work all of the other days :(

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If you can get to one, go. They are super fun and relaxed. I've been to three in the last five years and they're awesome. Can't do it this year because I just got back from Buffalo a week ago and I'm going again at the end of July, but I have taken time off of work just to attend.

Lots of new guys and guys from past drafts you forgot. I'll be sad if Glotov isn't there - he's usually a highlight at these things.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Man, this kid fits the profile of an Atlantic Hockey recruit perfectly.
Averaged sized overager that barely produced in a bad league.

Hopefully the rest of the invites are more enticing than this.

ouch fam, what do you have against Atlantic Hockey? Or the Saskatchewan JHL? There are good players in those leagues.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I’ve gone to every one of these dating back to ~2010 when it was held at Dwyer arena. This time though, the new wife and I leave Wednesday for our honeymoon in Jamaica :). Looking forward to all of the HF scouting that’ll posted on here!

Congrats and enjoy! (Ignore development camp).

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It seems like a lot of teams have stacked up their development camp for this week. I know in previous seasons some of the more sought after players may drift from the Mellencamp a development camp or July, getting an opportunity to have NHL level training and instruction, Even if it’s just a week here or there. I am curious to see what the pro scouting staff turns up for the invitees. In budget years, and it used to be players who were local to western New York or southern Ontario, or were players who played with players from those areas so they could be easily hosted by their teammates. It would be nice if they managed to land a couple of the more high skill UDFA types like they have in previous seasons. I’m surprised of the timing of this camp since it doesn’t even give them a week to get invitations and travel arrangements for our players who may have just been passed over in the draft.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
No rosters out yet either, 36 hours before camp starts. Even the initial press release announcing the dates felt tardy. Seems a bit thrown together this year.

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
Everybody I know has given up their seasons so I have no issue buying two tickets to the scrimmage on Saturday for anybody who cannot make it. At least they confirmed a stream ahead of tie for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->