2019 Copa America

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I blame messi
I’m sure he’s extremely disappointed himself.

Obviously it shouldn’t take away from his legacy as GOAT and shouldn’t take away from carrying this team in the past, but he was indeed far below his capabilities for the vast majority of this tournament.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m sure he’s extremely disappointed himself.

Obviously it shouldn’t take away from his legacy as GOAT and shouldn’t take away from carrying this team in the past, but he was indeed far below his capabilities for the vast majority of this tournament.
Its not his fault this team exceeded expectations tbh. They were in tremendous turmoil and without a coach. Managed to not soil themselves completely. There times where they were embarrassing but they can leave the tournament with dignity and grace. If they get Gallardo they can set themselves up nicely at home.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
^ lol at GOAT
I have and do argue both sides of this coin.

It’s acceptable in my opinion is someone doesn’t label him definitively as the single greatest player, but they way I look at it is that if a legitimate argument can be made, it’s not a ridiculous label. Not for him, and not for a few others historically.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The internet is cold man

A75FB3B9-7617-4EB0-9B8C-93DB9494D5A0.jpeg

Jul 7, 2009
Messi went off on the refs after the game according to some translations on reddit.

"I hope Conmebol does something, although I don't think it will do anything BECAUSE BRAZIL MANAGES EVERYTHING, so it will be very complicated."

That's a snippet of what he said according to someone who translated the interview on reddit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The truth hurts. His international career is pathetic. He's the most talented player to ever play the game but if I had to choose between him and Ronaldo in a tournament final it's no contest.
3 final loses is pathetic? lol You have to get there something most players never get a chance to do so. Its a miracle they ever got that tbh. Not its mostly him. The truth hurts? Don't make me laugh.

Yeah, one actually finishes a final while the other puts in a shift like ADM. Where was Ronaldo during his ONLY final for his country?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
3 final loses is pathetic? lol You have to get there something most players never get a chance to do so. Its a miracle they ever got that tbh. Not its mostly him. The truth hurts? Don't make me laugh.

Yeah, one actually finishes a final while the other puts in a shift like ADM. Where was Ronaldo during his ONLY final for his country?
He played the final in 2004 too. Granted, he was just 19 at the time, pretty much the entire Portugal team played poorly that day.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He played the final in 2004 too. Granted, he was just 19 at the time, pretty much the entire Portugal team played poorly that day.
Yup, I remember those tears. a young D2M cheered for him that day very hard too.

It's funny I only see certain posters come up during his loses. Wonder where all that noise goes when he wins?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Messi went off on the refs after the game according to some translations on reddit.

"I hope Conmebol does something, although I don't think it will do anything BECAUSE BRAZIL MANAGES EVERYTHING, so it will be very complicated."

That's a snippet of what he said according to someone who translated the interview on reddit.

He's not wrong.
Ref was a disgrace, and having seen my country on the wrong end of reffing in a game in Brazil vs Brazil...
I feel for him.
Give Argentina one of those pens and the game might just end with Argentina winning.

The Arthur bodycheck on Otamendi and the Aguero incidient are clean pens - and neither the ref nor VAR saw it, or didn't care to see it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, clearly some people didn’t watch the game. The fact is there should have been two penalties and the second Brazil goal wouldn’t count if they gave the one literally right before that.

The other fact is that Brazil has a much more talented team overall and it would prove very difficult for this Argentina to beat them even if they hadn’t been screwed. I think some of you place literally no importance on team play and live in some fantasy world where you think one guy can beat 11 guys. It’s also extremely difficult to score against Alisson even if one player should create those chances. Example is a very good free kick from Messi that would beat 99% of keepers that Alisson somehow catches with both hands.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Argentina has won the Copa América 14 times, the World Cup twice, of which 0 with Messi. At some point that has to start affecting his legacy, and I would argue we are already well past that point. Next year they will host the tournament already for the second time during his reign, it's the tenth (!) major international tournament for him already, and it can not just continue with the excuses.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I think it's more to do with poor Argentina managers (and subsequently questionable player personnel selections and tactics) during Messi's time. The last good manager the country has had is probably Bielsa, and that was before Messi. I see it more as to the testament to Messi's quality that he was able to help all those dysfunctional teams to multiple finals.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Never particularly liked him, but still impressed by Dani Alves at the age of 36. Oldest guy on the field looked like having the most energy and stamina near the end of the game. And his wing back position requires a lot of running. Doesn't look finished at all, and should be able to do a good job for some team next season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have and do argue both sides of this coin.

It’s acceptable in my opinion is someone doesn’t label him definitively as the single greatest player, but they way I look at it is that if a legitimate argument can be made, it’s not a ridiculous label. Not for him, and not for a few others historically.
It's acceptable until someone gives you another name.
Apart from Pele (and highly arguable given his non existant higher level career), nobody's comparable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The truth hurts. His international career is pathetic. He's the most talented player to ever play the game but if I had to choose between him and Ronaldo in a tournament final it's no contest.
What has Ronaldo done in a tournament final on the international stage?
Suck in one, being injured in the other.

Great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->