2019 Copa America

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I didn't like VAR decisions in this game. While they might have been technically correct, they ended up ruining the game. In pre-VAR times, we would have seen much more exiting game if the first goal would have stood. In that case the 2nd might or might not have happened the same way as it now did, but nevertheless it was a good shot and any touch by hand was marginal. Columbia could have still prevented the shot from going in. And that unusual Vidal celebration would have stayed in the history books.

Instead we got another stupid penalty shootout.

If the use VAR continues as it is, we'll see much more 0-0 scorelines. And after this generation of players, when the players who have had VAR throughout their whole career, the goal celebrations will become much more muted initially, since everybody will wait until they have checked the VAR.

Hopefully the use of VAR will become much more limited and subtle in the future.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Probably because VNZ are even worse

Thought Lautaro had a good first half. But he was probably the only one lol. Acuna and Paredes are just so bad. Also I really don't know what you see in Pezzella

Probably, that might be the only reason Argentina looked competent defensively. They actually looked really good and solid at the back. Foyth/RDP/Martinez for me were the best players in the game. Foyth who is not rated on here was immense. I’m still afraid when he gown down for a challenge but yesterday he was great.

Forgot to address Pezzella, I don’t think he’s a world beater but for his club team is solid . I wouldn’t judge him based on his performances with Argentina.

Soteldo looks like a nice prospect for Venezuela.

Anyway. This team will get slaughtered by Brazil. Thankfully I won't be able to watch that bloodbath.

Again this is most likely what will happen but Brasil are struggling to score.

I meant more physically being able to carry / lift the team all by himself (like he did when returning to the 2018 WC qualifiers), him at 32 being not physically the same as he was at 22 or even 27. How many summers it's now in a row when he's had a tournament and not a proper off-season rest. It's a bit different for him with Barcelona against most teams, he has more help than he will when comparing Argentina to a team like Brazil.

He seems to be pacing himself defensively in the tournament, though. Although not everybody might be happy when the centre forward Aguero has to drop deeper and do more defensive work than Messi, as it disturbs the team shape after a turnaround and going back into a attack.

He carried barca for the whole year. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Why have the Copa America every other years if it's to have a mickey mouse tournament like this with no extra time? Teams playing boring games and hope for the 0-0 and penalties. Circus tournament this one, the Gold Cup has been better this year without Var fiasco as well.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why have the Copa America every other years if it's to have a mickey mouse tournament like this with no extra time? Teams playing boring games and hope for the 0-0 and penalties. Circus tournament this one, the Gold Cup has been better this year without Var fiasco as well.
Yeah, sure.

And it’s not every other year they’re doing rotations.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

For those who asked about Nandez being good, good enough to keep Torreira on the bench apparently. I like both but would rather Torreira starting. Very nice and young midfield. Arrascaeta finally getting his time.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

For those who asked about Nandez being good, good enough to keep Torreira on the bench apparently. I like both but would rather Torreira starting. Very nice and young midfield. Arrascaeta finally getting his time.

Have to think the wear of Torreira’s season at Arsenal is what’s keeping him out. Not to knock Nandez but that’s what I would think, at least.

That said Uruguay should win this tournament.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Another snoozefest between Uruguay and Peru here. Tied at 0-0 almost 70 mins in and not many chances being created.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What can Cavani and Suarez be arguing with the ref about right now? Nothing has happened in the last 30 minutes

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Uruguay is going to win it. Suarez made sure he was fit by having knee surgery before the end of the season, this is possibly the most complete team they've had while he was on the team and they've already won one of these before.
Well I should’ve stuck with my gut. Mixed feelings about Uruguay getting out tho. Since they’re the only ones that can match brasil blow for blow. Now I have to pray for a big upset

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
No extra-time is such a tournament killer, boring teams playing the trap for 90min. and tons of gamesmanship, this tournament is really the worst ever. Also they never add added time correctly, no wonder the stands are empty.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
O.k, I know this phrase gets thrown around too frequently, but this may indeed be the worst tournament ever.

3 QFs decided on penalties, has this happened before in a major tournament?

After the group stage matches, it was unlikely that both Columbia and Uruguay would be already out. Great PK's by the Peruvians, their future opponents better try to win the game before penalty shootout.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
No extra-time is such a tournament killer, boring teams playing the trap for 90min. and tons of gamesmanship, this tournament is really the worst ever. Also they never add added time correctly, no wonder the stands are empty.

nah it's empty cause the tickets price are crazy high for a third world country. Average ticket price is $ 125 while Brazil average monthly wage is $ 678.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad