Euro: 2019 Champions League Final

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't know that the rest does much for either team. I would tend to say that the energy and positive feelings Liverpool got from their late season run would be a bigger deal. Liverpool arguably was in better form, even with the energy issue. While I think many of their players benefit from the rest, a CL final isn't really something where you find players needing to find energy reserves. If anything, having a ton of energy, running around early can sometimes be a negative.

Spurs late season form was pretty poor, and they pretty much stumbled over the line. A number of days to reset, work on tactics, refocus is probably a bigger benefit for Spurs.

Sure, Firmino being back is a plus, but I think how Liverpool has come back from Spanish excursions might not always be the best thing. You also could add the idea that Spurs are underdogs, happy to be there, whereas Liverpool are under much more pressure.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Funny I tried getting tickets through the lottery allocation on the UEFA website in February (before the quarter final). I registered for the tickets (most expensive tickets) at 1000$ face value each my girlfriend thought I was dumb since I did not know then that Liverpool would make it to the final but I was thinking I could probably resell at a profit if not. I did not get the tickets but it would have been amazing to see Liverpool at the CL final.

If I'm being completely honest I would take the profit over any sports experience in any competition. You quoted the most expensive and the other quoted price was for the chepest and the difference was still nearly 11 thousand dollars. Jesus, now I'm just going to spend the rest of the workday dreaming about money

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can not bother arguing, but I disagree.
I don't really understand what there is to disagree or argue with. I didn't say 'Firmino is better' or make any kind of argument; I simply said I would take him and to me getting him back is the best part of the layoff. I mean, I guess you can try and argue with me about what my opinion is but assure you, this is it.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This is going to have ENORMOUS TV ratings world wide.

....also, read that thousands of South Koreans are apparently flying in and paying HUGE sums for tickets to support Son.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is going to have ENORMOUS TV ratings
....also, read that thousands of South Koreans are apparently flying in and paying HUGE sums for tickets to support Son.
I can confirm this. One of my best friends down here is a Veteran who was deployed in Korea for a bit, and this has been the case since Son was in Bundesliga

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It's one thing to play for your club, it's another to play for your country.

Poor Son has to play for a whole continent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's one thing to play for your club, it's another to play for your country.

Poor Son has to play for a whole continent.

Not really. Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese are not friendly with each other. The war and some of those countries refusal to acknowledge what they did has created a lot of problems. There is also deep racism in each of those countries towards people from the other country.

The people outside of those countries, probably not, but definitely most of the people in them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's the most popular athlete in Asia, most followers on social media. That's not just South Korea

Link to follower count? There's 51 million people in South Korea and a large diaspora. It could just be South Korea.

I could not reiterate more how much people in those countries don't like each other.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Son Heung-Min: The rise of a South Korean superstar - CNN

According to figures provided to CNN by Nielsen Sports, which carried out an analysis of his social media audience, Son is the most popular athlete in Asia.

The research showed that Son had the highest number of followers across social media with 1.98 million, beating Japanese soccer player Shinji Kagawa in second place.

...was also voted by fans to be on the cover of Fifa 20 over Ronaldo and Messi.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Son Heung-Min: The rise of a South Korean superstar - CNN

According to figures provided to CNN by Nielsen Sports, which carried out an analysis of his social media audience, Son is the most popular athlete in Asia.

The research showed that Son had the highest number of followers across social media with 1.98 million, beating Japanese soccer player Shinji Kagawa in second place.

...was also voted by fans to be on the cover of Fifa 20 over Ronaldo and Messi.

Yeah, see, just 2 million. That's also a horrible article because Chinese people use different social media than we do and I think Japanese and Koreans do as well.

Now I will post stuff to back up my point. This is also the most basic case of doing so without even trying to give much of an effort.

Zainichi: Being Korean in Japan

Lotte considers selling China malls amid anti-Korean sentiment

Anti-Korean Sentiment Worsening in China | HuffPost

Anti-Korean sentiment in China: A brief history of recent events - SupChina

[News analysis] Abe seeks to mobilize anti-Korean sentiment among Japanese for political gains

The people in these countries do not like each other. They held onto their problems from WWII the way Westerners did not. Every culture is different in that way and I'm not one to judge, just pointing out how it is. A Chinese or Japanese native person would spit on the idea of a Korean playing for their continent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
1.98 million isn't even that much. He's just as likely to have that following because he's a star player in the Prem.

South Korean football fans are also hardcore. I'm not trying to dump on his popularity whatsoever and I think he's an amazing player, I just needed to point out the way people in other countries would feel about him because it came up.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's like 4 players on Hazard every time he gets it in the final 3rd.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
South Korean football fans are also hardcore. I'm not trying to dump on his popularity whatsoever and I think he's an amazing player, I just needed to point out the way people in other countries would feel about him because it came up.

Beyond that, other Asian countries, especially Japan, have their own star athletes. The idea that Son is the most popular athlete anywhere other than Korea is a little ridiculous, or that he's the reason why it would get big ratings in Asia, the CL final already gets big ratings there regardless. It will most likely make it a much bigger deal in Korea, but not for Japan or China.

The first Asian athlete that popped into my mind was Manny Pacquiao, and he was much more followers on social media than Son so that article is pretty trash.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Beyond that, other Asian countries, especially Japan, have their own star athletes. The idea that Son is the most popular athlete anywhere other than Korea is a little ridiculous, or that he's the reason why it would get big ratings in Asia, the CL final already gets big ratings there regardless. It will most likely make it a much bigger deal in Korea, but not for Japan or China.

The first Asian athlete that popped into my mind was Manny Pacquiao, and he was much more followers on social media than Son so that article is pretty trash.

It's just one of those things where someone who doesn't know the situation in those countries might assume. But no, it's so much more complicated than all that. My initial assumption is that whoever the most popular cricketer in India is would be Asia's most popular athlete if we're merely talking in terms of how many fans someone has. But then on the other hand you think about all the regions in the country and that is very likely not true. Countries in that part of the world tend to be very nationalistic because that's part of their culture, and we tend to forget that because that isn't the case with many of the people in our own countries.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, that dumb BTS junk is popular everywhere. However, that’s a bit different animal.

But Japanese people in general aren’t going to follow a S. Korean soccer player. For many, there’s still a stigma (that’s a polite way to put it) against many other Asian countries and people. Honestly, for some that might lead them to root against him or not pay attention just as much. They have their own athletes, other sports and of course the international superstars like Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad