Euro: 2019 Champions League Final

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Since the law is that there must be intent, saying the attacker deliberatly hitting someone's arm is a handball is ridiculous.
I'll give Mane the benefit of the doubt because all of this went so quickly.
But if he did it on purpose it DOES change the way you look at it. Players will now target handballs all the time. And the natural position of the arm IS NOT behind the back.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
They touched on that, but they should have never told the refs that in the first place and that does nothing to change my mind. Change the rule if that's what you want because this is what the rule states:

Handling the ball Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:
  • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence
The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/laws-of-the-game-2018-19.pdf?cloudid=khhloe2xoigyna8juxw3

Pretty clear it wasn't hand ball based on that. Their new interpretation is bad for the game as was evidence yesterday.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They did change the rule starting next season. Basically everything is handball now. I think everyone can see how dumb that is.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
But if he did it on purpose it DOES change the way you look at it. Players will now target handballs all the time. And the natural position of the arm IS NOT behind the back.

Of course it was intentional, Mane is a smart player. He saw the arm up, he was looking right at Sissoko before he kicked it. He saw the arm up and DRILLED it. He wasn't crossing to anyone, if it missed Sissoko it was likely heading out to touch.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
When Liverpool win the CL né t year, only Madrid will have more titles than them.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course it was intentional, Mane is a smart player. He saw the arm up, he was looking right at Sissoko before he kicked it. He saw the arm up and DRILLED it. He wasn't crossing to anyone, if it missed Sissoko it was likely heading out to touch.
Maybe. But things go so fast it's easier said than done.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Congrats Liverpool, didn’t watch the game because after Arsenal’s display it just killed my interest. But you lot shows how to properly rebuild a club from the disasters of the Rodger era. No way you’re going to come back from a three goal deficient again against a Barca type of club though.

Only if Wenger decided to step down five years in the past where all these superior managers were available. Selfish prick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When Liverpool win the CL né t year, only Madrid will have more titles than them.
It will be tough, Bayern will probably strengthen, Juve will strengthen, Madrid will strengthen, PSG should strengthen, Barca will strengthen, and Man City will probably pay more attention to the CL than EPL next year. I can see Liverpool going far once again, but not sure Spurs can replicate that success.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Since the law is that there must be intent, saying the attacker deliberatly hitting someone's arm is a handball is ridiculous.
I'll give Mane the benefit of the doubt because all of this went so quickly.
My initial thought was that Mane 100% intentionally chipped the ball into Sissoko’s arm, which was outstretched to direct traffic. Sissoko’s arm changes the direction of the ball - I don’t think that was his intention but his arm is still in an unnatural position.

That’s a 50/50 pen IMO - neither a must-give nor an egregious call.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
“Deliberate act” has, for several years, been interpreted to include players making their frame bigger by having hands away from the body.

It’s a judgement call for the ref to determine if the hand is in an unnatural position or not.

There’s really no way to write the rule that removes the ambiguity, it’s almost always going to involve a judgement call.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He was clearly not 100% and it hurt the team in a cup final. Selfish or stupid by Pochettino.

Right, he clearly wasn’t 100% but that had nothing to do with him pretending. Poch and the medical staff would have been well aware of his physical limitations.

If anyone is to blame for Kane playing when he wasn’t up for it, it’s Pochettino.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Plenty of players underperformed. It could just have been down to that he was facing a very difficult defensive system from Klopp in this game and not necessarily his health.

Though not playing for a while or being healthy and then jumping into a game like that is always going to be a gamble. Firmino was pretty bad too.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
To be fair, a lot of tests involved are to a large extent based on questions and the answers from the player. If they try something and ask him how that feels and he goes "Yeah no pain or discomfort" then that can certainly create a false impression of his state of fitness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad