Euro: 2019 Champions League Final

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not good of course, but standard procedure these days. Seen players wearing those after games for then to start the next game 3-4 days later.

Love Vertonghen (almost ashamed to say, but some years ago I was hoping Spurs would upgrade on him - boy were I wrong). Would be a shame if he missed the final due to an injury. One of few players I think "deserves" to play a final. Will always give you 100%. Not many players like him these days.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If last night's game showed us anything, it's that Spurs essentially need to be the underdog in order to play well. So they will enjoy that role and it will bring the best out of them. It would be a huge vindication for them after being essentially written off year after year despite constantly elevating their play.
Liverpool just missed last year and many chalked it up to Real's endgame experience (/endgame cynicism). This year it is Liverpool who have the experience edge. I would also give Klopp the edge over Poch in motivating his players and getting them all focused (though obviously both are great at it). They will also probably be able to get a home stadium atmosphere going in Madrid.
If Liverpool really click, they could easily dominate. If they dominate too much though, it could bring out the most dangerous in Spurs. Will be a historic match either way.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Agree with most of that - other than the "home stadium atmosphere". Don't see that happening.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah I don't think the stadium is going to play too much into it. You would expect Spurs to be a bit nervous playing elsewhere, but I think if anything, playing in Wembley basically for so long now, they've gotten some of the playing in weird confines out of their system. I would expect many more Liverpool fans than Spurs fans, but there are so many wine and cheeser's that it doesn't really play into it as much.

I think Liverpool's lineup is pretty much set, it's just going to be a question of everyone's fitness. I would assume Salah can play, and Firmino might be able to go, but they'll probably see how far he can with an Academy match or two before the run up. Keita probably too soon, and I wouldn't expect any surprises.

I might be tempted to sit Gini after his substitute performance, but I think Klopp will go with the usual Hendo, Gini, Fabinho in this, and bring on Milner at 65-70.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I don't think the stadium is going to play too much into it. You would expect Spurs to be a bit nervous playing elsewhere, but I think if anything, playing in Wembley basically for so long now, they've gotten some of the playing in weird confines out of their system. I would expect many more Liverpool fans than Spurs fans, but there are so many wine and cheeser's that it doesn't really play into it as much.

I think Liverpool's lineup is pretty much set, it's just going to be a question of everyone's fitness. I would assume Salah can play, and Firmino might be able to go, but they'll probably see how far he can with an Academy match or two before the run up. Keita probably too soon, and I wouldn't expect any surprises.

I might be tempted to sit Gini after his substitute performance, but I think Klopp will go with the usual Hendo, Gini, Fabinho in this, and bring on Milner at 65-70.
I think Oxlade Chamberlain could be a surprise selection if Liverpool wants to use more speed in the middle.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if there will be more Liverpool-fans. Of course there are more Liverpool-fans around, but if you spent 3k for a ticket last year many wouldn't afford it this year. While for Spursfans this does feel like a "once in a lifetime" kind of thing.

In any case Liverpool-fans scattered around outside of the allocated seats from the two clubs wouldn't necessarily influence the atmosphere much.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There will be substantially more Liverpool fans I would imagine.

I really hope Liverpool crush Spurs at this point. Unfortunately I think we're in for a tight, nervy game.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If last night's game showed us anything, it's that Spurs essentially need to be the underdog in order to play well.

I don’t think that's true. Spurs weren't underdogs against Dortmund and cruised through. If last night's game showed anything, it's that Ajax is not mature enough to handle a lead at this level. They play their best football when they have little to lose, but after they went ahead in London they didn't do much anymore and it was similar in Amsterdam.

That said, the underdog role might fit Spurs regardless.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Not sure if there will be more Liverpool-fans. Of course there are more Liverpool-fans around, but if you spent 3k for a ticket last year many wouldn't afford it this year. While for Spursfans this does feel like a "once in a lifetime" kind of thing.

In any case Liverpool-fans scattered around outside of the allocated seats from the two clubs wouldn't necessarily influence the atmosphere much.

There are many more fans for Liverpool than Spurs. They've also probably gobbled up a number of flights on Tuesday night, along with a few of the scalpers tickets. I mean, they had a good chunk of fans buying up 3rd party tickets in Kiev of all places, Madrid is much easier to get to.

I do agree that for Spurs, it might be a once in a lifetime thing (though admittedly, they've won things in Europe albeit not since the 70s and 80s), and they probably have some well heeled supporters who live in London. But Liverpool have people who are going to come in from this from all over the world. I would be very surprised if it wasn't a good 7-10k more Liverpool than Spurs. Last year was a magical run, and I do think that some might say, well, I don't know if I can afford it. But this year, with this team? I'm sure there will be plenty who went last year who say, Madrid's easier, Liverpool can actually win this year, I'll eat the debt.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
For the next two weeks I'll be in dream land.
The week proceeding the Final I'll be a trainwreck.
Good thing I'll be in Puerto Rico the week prior to the Final, although now this means I must pack minimum four Liverpool shirts.

Regarding travel plans for this: I ate a $200 change fee to be on the next earlier flight back to Newark strictly to be able to watch.

No regrets.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not like the stadium will be filled as a % of the total number of fans. If Spurs had played against RM in Kiev I honestly don't think there would have been a single fan less than what Liverpool had. Demand completely crushes demand for both teams. If the "demand" would be 500 000 tickets for Liverpool it would still be 100 000 for Spurs.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Id expect it to be a fairly balanced crowd, its rare for a European final to have a stadium decisively tilted in one direction. The ticket allocation is even and neutral tickets are too hot for the “event-oriented” casual crowd to be snapped up by one fan base.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I would disagree. Larger fan base = larger demand = more people willing to pay stupid money.

I mean, at some point, sure, there are only so many people who can or want to spend that type of money, but I think you'll see a good number more of neutral tickets scooped up by people in Red.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Id expect it to be a fairly balanced crowd, its rare for a European final to have a stadium decisively tilted in one direction. The ticket allocation is even and neutral tickets are too hot for the “event-oriented” casual crowd to be snapped up by one fan base.

Liverpool-Sevilla is the only one I can really think of. Was about 90-10 for that game. Tottenham has a larger traveling group of supporters, that won’t happen again.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
An all English final is cool I guess, but I was really pulling for Ajax. I think Liverpool will win, but I guess I'll pull for Spurs.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's not like the stadium will be filled as a % of the total number of fans. If Spurs had played against RM in Kiev I honestly don't think there would have been a single fan less than what Liverpool had. Demand completely crushes demand for both teams. If the "demand" would be 500 000 tickets for Liverpool it would still be 100 000 for Spurs.

I think it's worth considering that Liverpool knew they were going a day earlier than Spurs and could start bidding crazy amounts for neutral tickets

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think it's worth considering that Liverpool knew they were going a day earlier than Spurs and could start bidding crazy amounts for neutral tickets

Yeah. I’m not arguing against the possibility that there might be more Liverpool fans for whatever reason at the game, but my first post on this was responding to someone expecting a “home” atmosphere for the team in red. That would shock me if it happened.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
And Tottenham fans are quite a bit wealthier on average than Liverpool supporters.

Maybe? What's the data on that?

Ok, so a good chunk of Spurs fans are local to London (ish). I mean, sure, the economics of a rich part of London, compared with Liverpool are vastly different. But it's not like we are talking about the lower economic tiers. Those supporters have been priced out of going to something like this for decades.

I'm know there are plenty of rich Liverpool supporters. They might not all live in Liverpool, but saying Spurs fans are richer than Liverpool fans is dense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->