2019 Buffalo Sabres: 3 Minutes from the playoffs

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Anyone that watches the games closer than me tell me how many times Housely called a timeout to settle this team down? Seems like they would give up a quick goal or two and completely fold. Am I correct that Housely just lets the game run on, or is he calling timeouts when I'm in the john?

I’m curious which players were mainly involved. Who goes on the ice after we score and or after they score. Guess that should be broken down to the forward lines and which D pairings. I have a feeling Housley kept going back the same routine ••• ya know, the insanity definition.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I was bored so I went back and looked at all the games the Sabres should have won, but had a breakdown for 3 minutes or so that have really changed the trajectory of this team. 8 games with a mental breakdown for 3 minutes or less have put this team from in the Wild Card to way out of the race. Its unfathomable how they couldn't scrape together a .500 record after being 1st in the NHL at one point a decent way into the season.

The games in question:
10/27 CBJ - gave up 2 goals in :35 sec
11/8 MTL - gave up 2 in 1:35
1/11 CAR - gave up 2 in 1:12
1/18 VAN gave up 3 in 3:19
2/19 FLA gave up 3 in 2:35
2/25 TOR gave up 3 in 2:04
3/1 PIT gave up 2 in 1:03 (Won this game in OT giving PIT an extra point)
3/4 EDM gave up 2 in 1:09 and 3 in 3:36

Notice a theme? Every team we are chasing right now is on that list. CBJ, PIT, MTL, CAR all gained atleast an extra point from us having the wheels fall off because they are the weakest team mentally I have ever watched.

The Sabres record if you take the breakdowns (which often came right after we took the lead) would fall at 37-21-8. Good for 82 points with 16 games left to play.

That would put them 3 back of Toronto for 3rd in the division(4 point swing not losing to them on 2/25). On top of that they would be even further ahead in the Wild Card because CBJ, CAR, and MTL would be 2 less points and PIT 1 less.

Theres a lot of blame to be passed around, but the coach and GM can only do so much with players who just completely fall apart at any sign of adversity. When you take the lead and immediately give up 2 or 3 goals in a short period of time that just comes down to focus and working harder than the other team.

Maybe we can win the lottery.

This is part of it

I created another thread in metrics with thus team that touched on blown leads and not having 2 goal leads and them being tied or behind by 1 and not getting g points.

There were some games where a late goal tied it and the other team wins in OT

Some games tied where team win it with about 8 or under minutes left get the winning goal.

There are a few games they had 2 goal leads and failed to get a point

Those have gone in all season. On top of that...

They went 2-7-2 in their last 11. If they went 7-2-2 in that stretch

they’d be tied for 8th.

Over those games they had Chicago, ( lead) , Edmonton and Toronto ( 3 goal brain freeze), Rangers, devils, Florida, flyers ( close 1 goal games in 3rd) . Get 10 extra points in those games.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I’m curious which players were mainly involved. Who goes on the ice after we score and or after they score. Guess that should be broken down to the forward lines and which D pairings. I have a feeling Housley kept going back the same routine ••• ya know, the insanity definition.

Here's part of the answer.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'm so sick of people trying to force feed this total bull****. Other than Dahlin who the **** else qualifies for this? All our kids are in ****ing Rochester while all the vets who should be in some league in Europe stink out the goddamned joint on a nightly basis. This whole organization is a disgusting embarrassing cesspool and a complete embarrassment to the entire sport. I'm in no way delusional enough to think anything has improved, we are owned by idiots, have a GM who is an idiot and our coach is an idiot. It's total bull**** and everyone here deserves better than this.

Mittelstadt?

Oh, nevermind. He's not scoring many goals. Never mind the effort on the back check. Nary a flash of his offensive capabilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad