Prospect Info: 2019 Blues Prospect Camp

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So I'll give this a shot since I've been to all three this week, I'm not even close to an expert. Also, really sucks to not to be able to see drills this year, kind of hard to focus on each player during scrimmage:

Kostin: His speed looks like it's about the same but his acceleration improved. Puck protection is still there and used his body a lot to shield players from the puck. Seemed like he's gotten better and more relaxed as camp has gone on. He found a few soft spots in the slot today but didn't bury those chances. Had a nice breakaway goal yesterday. His hand are good made some very nice moves today.

Bokk: Good lord does he have hands. His passing is very good, looked like he was getting frustrated at points when some of the invitees couldn't handle his passes. Defense is an area to improve on, which is usually the case for young offensive players. His skating was very good, gets up the ice in a hurry. I wish he would have shot more in the first couple days, he seemed defer a lot, but today he shot a lot more. Don't think he had any goals though.

Perunovich:
Skating and passing are his best attributes to me. His speed, acceleration, edgework seemed better and more noticeable than last year. He walks the line very well and could usually get around his man. His passing is great, he always seemed to find an open man, just wish he would shot more. He's probably shot less than 10 times in 3 scrimmages. He has good stickwork in the d-zone which makes up for the lack of size, usually going directly at the opposing player and applying pressure. Seemed like he won more battles and was stronger on his skates than last year.

Toropchenko:
He looked like he put some weight on since last year. Dude still flies down the ice and also was back-checking which was nice to see. It seemed like when he was out there he was never in the defensive zone, so don't have anything on that. Has good hands and has gotten stronger on his skates. It was great to see him out there with Kostin, they seem to mesh well.

McGing: He has speed for sure. That's about all I noticed out of him, it's a good thing he's going back to college.

Laferriere:
He seems inconsistent to me, Alexandrov and him had a nice tic-tac-toe passing play one minute, then I don't know if I noticed him for the next 10 minutes. Kind of reminds me how Barbie was when he was a prospect. When I did notice him though his passing was always tape to tape. Don't really remember him shooting the puck either. His skating is decent with average speed. Hopefully he can put up some big numbers in juniors next year.

Alexandrov:
Haven't really noticed him at all besides the nice passing play above. If I go tomorrow I'll try and watch him more.

Washkurak:
So far he's looked better than Alexandrov. He's a good skater with some speed. I see why he got that work horse award this past season. Kid works for the puck non-stop. Gets in on the forecheck and backchecks as well. He went to the net a bunch. His passing was pretty good. He seems like he'd top out 3/4 liner, PK, chip in occasionally on offense.

Hofer:
I thought he looked very solid. First day I don't think he let up a goal in scrimmage. His lateral movements were good, made a couple of back-door saves. He made some nice breakaway saves as well. Didn't really handle the puck too often.

Tucker: By far the most improved player from last year for me. Seemed like he was out there the whole time. His skating has gotten a lot better, but still wish we could watch the skating drills. He still isn't the fastest guy, but it seems like his first few steps have gotten quicker allowing him to get up into the play more. His offensive game has greatly improved. His hands and puck control seemed something that he worked on over this past year. At one point he dangled through two people and got a nice shot off from 5 feet out and my mouth dropped. Defensively he's pretty solid, his stick work was good and played the body well (could definitely tell he was holding back). He always seemed to be in the right position minus some breakaways on the 3v3 part of scrimmage. He seemed to play a lot more than the other two on his team, so he did looked gassed in 3v3 a lot, so maybe work on stamina?

Invitees that impressed, that I could see us targeting: Copeland, Curry, Jackson, and Hrabik.

Well there you go hopefully that helps. Wish I could give better details than that. Hopefully some other posters with some better knowledge can post their thoughts.

PS: Krag and Helt haven't really done anything.

Dude, thank you so much

Reactions: Klank Loves You

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
So I'll give this a shot since I've been to all three this week, I'm not even close to an expert. Also, really sucks to not to be able to see drills this year, kind of hard to focus on each player during scrimmage:

Kostin: His speed looks like it's about the same but his acceleration improved. Puck protection is still there and used his body a lot to shield players from the puck. Seemed like he's gotten better and more relaxed as camp has gone on. He found a few soft spots in the slot today but didn't bury those chances. Had a nice breakaway goal yesterday. His hand are good made some very nice moves today.

Bokk: Good lord does he have hands. His passing is very good, looked like he was getting frustrated at points when some of the invitees couldn't handle his passes. Defense is an area to improve on, which is usually the case for young offensive players. His skating was very good, gets up the ice in a hurry. I wish he would have shot more in the first couple days, he seemed defer a lot, but today he shot a lot more. Don't think he had any goals though.

Perunovich:
Skating and passing are his best attributes to me. His speed, acceleration, edgework seemed better and more noticeable than last year. He walks the line very well and could usually get around his man. His passing is great, he always seemed to find an open man, just wish he would shot more. He's probably shot less than 10 times in 3 scrimmages. He has good stickwork in the d-zone which makes up for the lack of size, usually going directly at the opposing player and applying pressure. Seemed like he won more battles and was stronger on his skates than last year.

Toropchenko:
He looked like he put some weight on since last year. Dude still flies down the ice and also was back-checking which was nice to see. It seemed like when he was out there he was never in the defensive zone, so don't have anything on that. Has good hands and has gotten stronger on his skates. It was great to see him out there with Kostin, they seem to mesh well.

McGing: He has speed for sure. That's about all I noticed out of him, it's a good thing he's going back to college.

Laferriere:
He seems inconsistent to me, Alexandrov and him had a nice tic-tac-toe passing play one minute, then I don't know if I noticed him for the next 10 minutes. Kind of reminds me how Barbie was when he was a prospect. When I did notice him though his passing was always tape to tape. Don't really remember him shooting the puck either. His skating is decent with average speed. Hopefully he can put up some big numbers in juniors next year.

Alexandrov:
Haven't really noticed him at all besides the nice passing play above. If I go tomorrow I'll try and watch him more.

Washkurak:
So far he's looked better than Alexandrov. He's a good skater with some speed. I see why he got that work horse award this past season. Kid works for the puck non-stop. Gets in on the forecheck and backchecks as well. He went to the net a bunch. His passing was pretty good. He seems like he'd top out 3/4 liner, PK, chip in occasionally on offense.

Hofer:
I thought he looked very solid. First day I don't think he let up a goal in scrimmage. His lateral movements were good, made a couple of back-door saves. He made some nice breakaway saves as well. Didn't really handle the puck too often.

Tucker: By far the most improved player from last year for me. Seemed like he was out there the whole time. His skating has gotten a lot better, but still wish we could watch the skating drills. He still isn't the fastest guy, but it seems like his first few steps have gotten quicker allowing him to get up into the play more. His offensive game has greatly improved. His hands and puck control seemed something that he worked on over this past year. At one point he dangled through two people and got a nice shot off from 5 feet out and my mouth dropped. Defensively he's pretty solid, his stick work was good and played the body well (could definitely tell he was holding back). He always seemed to be in the right position minus some breakaways on the 3v3 part of scrimmage. He seemed to play a lot more than the other two on his team, so he did looked gassed in 3v3 a lot, so maybe work on stamina?

Invitees that impressed, that I could see us targeting: Copeland, Curry, Jackson, and Hrabik.

Well there you go hopefully that helps. Wish I could give better details than that. Hopefully some other posters with some better knowledge can post their thoughts.

Thanks dude, I know we all appreciate this kind of work that people do during prospect camp. I think the Blues will probably take a shot at Hrabik, and he's been getting praise in a bunch of outlets I've read.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Perunovich:

Toropchenko:

Laferriere:

Alexandrov:

Washkurak:

Hofer:

Thank you SO much for this! Up here in Canada, I am starving for any info on our prospects, and I devour every morsel I get! I really appreciate your observations, evaluations and insight!

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I was at Thursday's camp so I'll add a few things I remember.

The goalies were solid. Colten Ellis seems to handle the puck well.

I thought Krystoff Hrabick was good with the puck ad had good presence.

Keenan Washkurak scored the 4 on 3 goal with the goalie pulled to tie it up late and send it to ot.

Mitchell Balmas scored a nice breakaway goal.

Nikolaj Christiansen was a decent puck handler, passer and played good D.

Hugh McGing has a good shot and good speed.

Pat Curry impressed me. He made 2 nice passes, had decent moves, good speed and scored a nice goal.

Nikita Alexandrov had nice 3 on 1 with Schnieder and Laferriere. Don't remember who got the goal (Laferriere maybe?) on the play but always good to see a 3 on 1 finished well. He seemed a little hesitant at times but I think that will get better with experience.

Klim Kostin plays a physical game. He has nice speed and power. He made a nice saucer pass early and made a nice move at the blueline for the lone assist on the overtime winner. I think he will eventually make the Blues and be a decent banger with some offensive skill.

Alexei Toropchenko is another player I think will make the Blues. He scored a breakaway goal, displayed good passing and had several good shots. He did pass up one good chance to shoot from a high danger area though and attempted a pass instead.

Dominik Bokk has a ROCKET shot. He had several good chances Thursday but none went in. He has a great wrist shot and can get the shot off quick and even when in heavy traffic. He has a good chance of becoming an NHL sniper and scoring quite a few goals for the Blues.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I was at Thursday's camp so I'll add a few things I remember.

Thanks to both of you for the update! Any news from the prospectcamp is really appreciated!

Any idea's on Hancock and Balmas btw? Along with Hrabik and Curry they probably have the biggest chance to play for San Antonio next year as the Rampage could REALLY use some forward help. Robby Jackson is already under contract with the Rampage and a good prospect camp (+presumably Traverse/regular training camp) might 'upgrade' his contract from a Rampage contract to a Blues contract playing for the Rampage.

Also loved what BleedBlueForever wrote about Tyler Tucker. If he's able to continue improving like he has last year he could be a huge steal.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Thanks to both of you for the update! Any news from the prospectcamp is really appreciated!

Any idea's on Hancock and Balmas btw? Along with Hrabik and Curry they probably have the biggest chance to play for San Antonio next year as the Rampage could REALLY use some forward help. Robby Jackson is already under contract with the Rampage and a good prospect camp (+presumably Traverse/regular training camp) might 'upgrade' his contract from a Rampage contract to a Blues contract playing for the Rampage.

Also loved what BleedBlueForever wrote about Tyler Tucker. If he's able to continue improving like he has last year he could be a huge steal.

Balmas had a really nice breakaway goal on Thursday. He seems a bit hesitant to shoot though. I think he could help himself by putting the puck on net a little more.

Didn't get much of a read on Hancock. I don't remember him doing anything that stood out either positive or negative.

I seem to remember Jackson making a nice move to get the puck to the net but the goalie made a good stop on it.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Thank you both for the write-ups. Always wish there was more video out there of Perunovich and Tucker, so to at least get a couple poster's descriptions of them is appreciated.

I really hope Bokk is willing to put in the work necessary to make the jump to the NHL in 2020.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Thank you both for the write-ups. Always wish there was more video out there of Perunovich and Tucker, so to at least get a couple poster's descriptions of them is appreciated.

I really hope Bokk is willing to put in the work necessary to make the jump to the NHL in 2020.
Ditto. Bokk for the 2020-2021 season out of camp!

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Hoping that if Maroon doesn't sign Kostin comes into training camp extremely motivated to take his vacated 3rd line spot. I guess Kyrou could but it changes the entire complexion of that line.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Hoping that if Maroon doesn't sign Kostin comes into training camp extremely motivated to take his vacated 3rd line spot. I guess Kyrou could but it changes the entire complexion of that line.

I guess what I'm saying is do you think if he comes in after a solid offseason he could replace Maroon's modest production and his physicality? It's a longshot but who knows. I know they would miss Maroon in the locker room.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
IF Blues doesnt stream their pre-season games why would they stream less meaningfull training camp scrimmage?
They streamed traverse last year. I thought they did the home preseason games last year? Either way figured if it were at enterprise center then maybe they’d stream it

Reactions: Klank Loves You

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Klim is a clown. In a good way. Lmaoo
I was thinking the exact same thing. Came here to post that lol

Throwing big hits, celebrating goals, and the only player to sign an autograph for the little girl by the tunnel. It’s a prospect pickup game but he’s definitely having some fun out there :laugh:

Reactions: Default

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad