Prospect Info: 2019 Blues Prospect Camp

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Tomorrow is the first day that fans may see Alexandrov, Ellis, and all the other 2019 draft picks don a Blue note live. In addition, Bokk, Kostin, Pernunovich, and many others will be returning in hopes of making an impact on the coaching staff for the Blues. As such, I wanted to make this thread as a space for all of those who will attend the camp this week to provide thoughts and analysis on all attendees.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide as much detail as I used to for this camp. I just started a new job, and I don't think my colleagues would appreciate me going to take notes on hockey players instead of working. But, considering this is the first year where the practices are being barred off from fans, and only the scrimmages are open to the public, it might be a good year not to attend the whole week.

Anyways, I hope we have a few posters go so we may have something to talk about this week.

(I'm looking at you, @Blanick ;))

P.s. Here's the link for the schedule and team listings:
Blues to host Prospect Camp from June 25-28 at Enterprise Center

Reactions: RORbacon

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I'll be there again this year, probably only tomorrow, though I have "tickets" for all four days. The EC is much closer to my house than the Mills, but I hate that the practices are barred from the public and that you have to get tickets for the event, even though they're obviously free. It just makes it needlessly complicated. I've always had fun at the prospect camp and I'm sure this year will be no different. Looking forward to seeing Bokk, Perunovich, and Alexandrov.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I am don’t think to much if this camp. It is for the fans to get to know players. But if the practices are closed I am not sure how much you get out of it. If it was 5 v 5 scrimmages, great, but the gimmick stuff isn’t helpful.

Prospects tournament is a better measurement.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’m a Michigan Tech follower. If anyone could keep an eye on Colin Swoyer, who is just a college invitee, I’d be interested in the report. Given we went there with Reinke, I guess we have some kind of relationship. Not sure if we are just owing them one, or if he popped to Walt’s, or some other scouts, eye a bit too.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Tomorrow is the first day that fans may see Alexandrov, Ellis, and all the other 2019 draft picks don a Blue note live. In addition, Bokk, Kostin, Pernunovich, and many others will be returning in hopes of making an impact on the coaching staff for the Blues. As such, I wanted to make this thread as a space for all of those who will attend the camp this week to provide thoughts and analysis on all attendees.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide as much detail as I used to for this camp. I just started a new job, and I don't think my colleagues would appreciate me going to take notes on hockey players instead of working. But, considering this is the first year where the practices are being barred off from fans, and only the scrimmages are open to the public, it might be a good year not to attend the whole week.

Anyways, I hope we have a few posters go so we may have something to talk about this week.

(I'm looking at you, @Blanick ;))

P.s. Here's the link for the schedule and team listings:
Blues to host Prospect Camp from June 25-28 at Enterprise Center

Sadly the drills are closed the public this year. Only the scrimmage will be open to the public. That coupled with the fact that I can't justify driving downtown everyday means I won't be able to attend this year.

Reactions: 67Blues

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Something I just noticed: no Erik Foley at prospects camp this year. In retrospect, that’s a fairly glaring omission. He’s been out a really long time. Really pulling for his general health and well-being at this point.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I hope Kostin proves me wrong, but I have little faith in him.
I'm in the same place. Nothing against him, but I really think we'd have seen some shining moments by now to kindle faith in his growth toward the NHL. I haven't seen evidence of that. In fact, that only positive report I can remember is Thorburn's plea for patience.

But does Kostin have enough patience in himself to stick it out long enough to get there?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm in the same place. Nothing against him, but I really think we'd have seen some shining moments by now to kindle faith in his growth toward the NHL. I haven't seen evidence of that. In fact, that only positive report I can remember is Thorburn's plea for patience.

But does Kostin have enough patience in himself to stick it out long enough to get there?
You nailed it.

Does he have the patience?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Something I just noticed: no Erik Foley at prospects camp this year. In retrospect, that’s a fairly glaring omission. He’s been out a really long time. Really pulling for his general health and well-being at this point.
Exactly. This is now a basic humanistic issue.

Wishing him well.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
What's the report on Kostin's all around game? Many are disappointed in his offensive production a bit. How is his play without the puck? Maybe we can at least get a bruising bottom 6 power forward out of him if he doesn't develop into the top 6 forward many envisioned.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't know that I would read anything into that. He's almost a year older than Kyrou, so it would be shocking to me if he was on the roster. I haven't heard an update on his health for a while, but I suspect that even if he is cleared medically we won't see him until training camp.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

This video makes camp invitee Krystof Hrabik look very good

From a 2018 scouting report

C Krystof Hrabik (Liberec, Extraliga | 9/24/99 | 6’3/209): A big-bodied shutdown center with developing skills to contribute among the top-six, Hrabik last season was one of a handful on 2018-eligibles to play in the Extraliga He has good speed and controls the puck with his head up at all times, but creativity once he’s inside the zone is something he’ll have to continue to work on. Hrabik has a hard, accurate shot and can fire it off the rush, and he seems to favor shooting the puck far more than stopping and creating. His puck skills and skating are slightly above-average for someone considered to be a defensive-minded power forward, and the fact that he consistently uses his size to his advantage makes us think he can develop into something more. Hrabik also is very good on faceoffs, and his combination of defensive prowess and size makes him a likely target of NHL scouts.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
As he has not be drafted in two entry drafts, we can sign him correct?

Not sure, but I would be happy to add him to the the stable. I’d love for the Blues to corner the market on big kids with good skating, hard shots, and a little bit of flash from time to time.

A Hrabik-Sundqvist-Toropchenko 4th line would be fun. Dream big.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
As he has not be drafted in two entry drafts, we can sign him correct?
Feel like their is a window after the entry draft that anyone undrafted can be signed, regardless of whether they were skipped once or multiple times. That is how Flyers signed Philippe Myers by my recollection.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What's the report on Kostin's all around game? Many are disappointed in his offensive production a bit. How is his play without the puck? Maybe we can at least get a bruising bottom 6 power forward out of him if he doesn't develop into the top 6 forward many envisioned.
I’ve had limited viewings, but I’m more concerned about his play without the puck than his numbers.

He’s not a strong defender and he doesn’t seem to work in a system well. Again, I freely acknowledge I’ve had limited viewings, but I hear the same concerns from others watching him more regularly.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’ve had limited viewings, but I’m more concerned about his play without the puck than his numbers.

He’s not a strong defender and he doesn’t seem to work in a system well. Again, I freely acknowledge I’ve had limited viewings, but I hear the same concerns from others watching him more regularly.
If he's bad with the puck and bad without the puck, that doesn't leave a lot to like.

Reactions: 67Blues

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Which a way why a lot of people are pretty down on him at this point.
IMO his ceiling is/was overrated but his floor is a little underrated. I think we use the boom/bust label too much with players, I think exactly zero people here had guys like Blais and Barbashev pegged as gritty, physical bottom 6 players when we drafted them (or even just a couple of years ago), yet they performed that role on a Cup team.

I simply don't see the high end offensive instincts with Kostin, heavy shot yes but also tunnel vision with the puck on his stick. However, I do see a big, physical guy who is willing to drop the gloves who has some offensive tools, mainly his shot. IMO I think he is closer to Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves than a high end scorer.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I'm willing to give Kostin another year to develop his game even further before i label him anything at all. I think many people had too high of expectations due to his top 5 mid-season rankings his draft year. If you view him more of a fringe 1st/2nd round selection and someone who is adjusting to NA ice, then i think his productivity thus far isn't too far off base. Overall my opinion is, If he develops into a 3rd liner and plays with some grit like the previous poster alluded too, i'll happily take that. Cause this team will need productive ELC forwards over the next couple years if we wanna keep this team together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad