2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
IMO you’re worrying too much, this ownership isn’t the best but they sure aren’t blind toward things happening around the league and on social media

They may as well be given their actions.

I've seen the ribbing that has gone on here about the EDM franchise, but really, is their state all that different from the Canucks? They have a high end, but thin forward group. Some young pieces on defense and worse goaltending. They have untrustworthy ownership and a terrible manager... I'm seeing a lot of similarities save for the goaltending. Am I wrong?

In fairness, Benning does have Chia beat in the drafting department. He's not as bad, but when you look at the situation overall, we are not worlds apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: E40 and pomorick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's no doubt that Chiarelli's tenure was atrocious and his track record among the worst GM's ever.

But... does anyone actually believe that good leadership will replace him? They have a meddling ownership group just like us.
If ownership has a certain view of the team then they won’t be hiring anyone who has a different view. Aquaman thought the Canucks should still be a contender in 2014.

What will Katz do? Likely an interim person to finish out the season should be the way to go. Then open it up to 4-5 interviews in the off season. See how many of those guys tell him that it’s a mess and will need next year to clear out some of the crap and possibly a second year on top of that to move off a couple more contracts.

Will he heed those words or just find someone to think short term only.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
In all seriousness though, what are the chances of newly-fired Petey get an offer from Benning?

The very thought of ChiaBenning combo makes me wanna go back to my home planet.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I want to laugh at the Oilers but feel like I shouldn't... Chiarelli could be making his way to Vancouver after all. There, I just jinxed it. :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In all seriousness though, what are the chances of newly-fired Petey get an offer from Benning?

Honestly, not very high IMO. His hiring could affect ownership's timeline for Benning. As in, if Benning gets fired by the end of next year, they can't just then fire Chiarelli too. It would look bush league and the family has enough PR problems already.

Hiring Chia could also affect the power levels within management. Instead of a direct line to Benning, now Aqua has another player on the board, another variable, similar to when Linden was here. Why does he need it? I think he will decide that he doesn't.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Zero, he just fired Linden because he want direct reports from JB.
Also I don’t think Chia and JB are closed at all

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

None..I kind of like Benning running the whole show anyway (I think with Linden gone, he may just kick it up another notch)......Why on earth would you have a guy thats just been fired for ruining a promising franchise making key decisions on yours?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I was about to do a writeup how to acquire Mc David, hehe. But then I read about the TSN tweet and the Oilers GM is fired. :)

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I just found out that Wayne's brother, Keith is with Oilers management somehow.
..and his name has been thrown into the pile of possible GM replacements.

Did Wayne just give him a job? Good lord..

Keith Gretzky was actually a scout with the Bruins lol. Chiarelli brought him over.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Oilers close the barn door . . .

. . . of an empty barn . . . .

. . . well, except for one pissed off Thoroughbred.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who knew that acquiring big slow skaters who had limited puck handling skills wouldn’t be the new direction the NHL was going.
Chia was probably just like all geniuses. Ahead of his time.

Reactions: daddyohsix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->