GDT: 2019 AL Wild Card Game: (WC1) Oakland Athletics vs (WC2) Tampa Bay Rays

ALWC

• Total voters

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
White Sox are a joke but you can't throw stones when your last championship happened in 1989 while MC Hammer was still dancing in parachute pants.

Pitching tends to win in the postseason and Tampa had that advantage going in and executed tonight. It just hurts more for an Oakland fan as Tampa is honestly the mirror image of that franchise.
Throw stones? I'm responding to a confused Pejorative Slur that has decided to run his fat mouth despite his team not playing a meaningful game in over a decade.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I actually don't hate the A's
I root for small market teams.
Oakland and Tampa Bay, as an organization, are more alike than different.

I would have rooted for the A's against Houston or New York if it had gotten to that.

But, doesn't matter.
Rays are in the ALDS....and with good play, CAN pull an upset.

Reactions: Summer Rose

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well...I mentioned "bring on the Astros will crush you" chirps by the talking heads...
Forgot to mention bring on the "but you can't draw fans" narrative because right now, it's the only shot that can be taken at the Rays! :laugh:

They deserve a better ballpark. Heck, if they renovated the stadium or played in a different stadium in the city, they'd draw better. At times, I think back to the Ybor City rumors.

Heck, they only won 3 fewer games than the Bomba Twins (101-98)

I am 100 percent convinced they might be a better fit in the Marlins Ballpark, not just fan drawing issues. Heck, the way they play they actually might be suited for a ballpark that big (i.e. not rely on the HR)

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
They deserve a better ballpark. Heck, if they renovated the stadium or played in a different stadium in the city, they'd draw better. At times, I think back to the Ybor City rumors.

Heck, they only won 3 fewer games than the Bomba Twins (101-98)

I am 100 percent convinced if they played in the Marlins Ballpark, they would not have fan drawing issues. Heck, the way they played they actually might be suited for a ballpark that big (i.e. not rely on the HR)

Agree 1000%...they DO deserve better.
St. Petersburg mayor isn't budging on letting them out of their lease however.
Rays were even willing to pay the 20 something million penalty to the city for breaking lease...and the team owners were looking at places like Ybor City, North Tampa...even downtown Tampa near some empty lots near the home of the Lightning.

No dice.
St. Pete isn't letting that happen.

Too many ignorant people just don't understand how horrible a location Tropicana Field is in, and I was born n raised in the area....I do know.
St. Pete is full of gang bangers or old people... Tampa has all the young professionals with disposable income.

Lots of stuff to do before and after a Lightning game or a Bucs game...IN Tampa....
NOTHING to do before and after a Rays game except hang out with the bums on the I-275 off ramps.

And there are scant few ways to get to Tropicana from the city of Tampa and it's "spending money fans"...traffic is a nightmare.

If the Rays ultimately end up losing their team, it won't be because fans don't care, but rather, because they were forced to honor a stupid 30 year contract that the city of St. Pete won't relent on, even though the cash strapped Rays are willing to PAY them to get out of it....its political BS.
Rays have high TV viewership rates....means fans DO watch and care about the team...and those that do make it out to the Trop are loud as a small crowd can be.

Rays have been making lemonade with lemons for years in that dump of a stadium.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
At any rate...it's Houston...it's Tampa Bay...
And with any luck it will be Tampa Bay at Minnesota and my biggest problem will be I will have to root against the Twins (my second team) for a trip to the World Series.

Long shot. I know.
But I am excited at the possibility.

First gotta take care of the odds on favorite in the AL to reach the World Series again.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's fans aren't taking shots at your attendance.

I would have picked Houston even if the A's won. I've been singing their praises since that one fan left and they acquired Greinke.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Agree 1000%...they DO deserve better.
St. Petersburg mayor isn't budging on letting them out of their lease however.
Rays were even willing to pay the 20 something million penalty to the city for breaking lease...and the team owners were looking at places like Ybor City, North Tampa...even downtown Tampa near some empty lots near the home of the Lightning.

No dice.
St. Pete isn't letting that happen.

So this sounds like a 'St. Petersburg is trying to keep on keeping on with this lease ' situation since you mentioned the owners were looking at other places in the area.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
like i said, if i had to choose any team for the A's to lose a game to it'd be the rays

hope they can tire out the astros in the LDS

A's are in such a s*** spot though. 194 wins the past two seasons and two WC game appearances to show for it. no team has ever won that many games in two seasons and not won the division

darko

Feb 16, 2009
like i said, if i had to choose any team for the A's to lose a game to it'd be the rays

hope they can tire out the astros in the LDS

A's are in such a s*** spot though. 194 wins the past two seasons and two WC game appearances to show for it. no team has ever won that many games in two seasons and not won the division

And what makes it worse is that Astros aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's fine and dandy because the A's will have (presumably) Luzardo, Puk and Montas for the full season. Add the fact they aren't losing any key players in fa while it is very possible Houston loses Cole.

A's will challenge for the division next year. Won't be surprised at all if they win it, and I'm not slighting Houston whatsoever.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

While I don't expect Astros to fade away anytime soon they do have to be a bit concerned with pitching staff going forward

Cole is likely to leave as FA
Verlander and Grienke are both over 35
Miley and Peacock are both in 30's
Sanchez is ? especially after latest injury

And Valdez took step back this year so he isn't sure thing to slot into rotation and thrive

José Urquidy looks good going forward though for them

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think Cole would be a fool to leave Houston, but I know the Yankees are going to back the truck up at him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the A's failed to get a XBH in TWO games in the regular season

last night was #3. first time since july 24th. unreal

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I only remember a war over false pretenses and rich people taking advantage of the deregulated banking/housing market.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This playoff format sucks. Teams bust their asses for 162 games to win 90+ games to only be out in 1 game. It's not right, IMO. And sometimes, you can win 90 games but not even be in the playoffs. I don't know what to do.

Reactions: Cassano

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
This playoff format sucks. Teams bust their asses for 162 games to win 90+ games to only be out in 1 game. It's not right, IMO. And sometimes, you can win 90 games but not even be in the playoffs. I don't know what to do.
i prefer the old WC format

these 1 game WC games suck when you know your team just won't win them ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad