2019 AHL Finals

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I presented facts. Others used deflection and justification. Those who can't accept the facts try to spin them into what fits their own narrative and hide behind that.

So here's thing. The Wolves have packed it in before. over 19,000 for a finals game.

If you want to talk attendance, how many other teams drew fans to their finals games? Oh, that would be 1.

And cubs are so-so? They pack40k in and have a winning record.

And sox aint that bad either. How the indians doing?

Bottom line, troll somewhere else. The finals was a great series. Checkers won their first championship. Wolves were in their 4th (?) AHL championship series.

How many finals the cleveland teams (Barons, monsters) were in????

And I am so glad you have been on this site for so long. Check how long axecrew and 210 have been on here. So who really gives a crap. I am glad Charlotte won, they played better and got their first.

Oh, and even though Axe and 210 have been on here longer than me, check out how long I have been on here.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Just stated a fact about attendance at games 3 & 4 of the finals. Not a 1st round game, 2nd round game , or even a third round game. Finals. If a team can't fill more than 1/3 of the building then what does it really say about the franchise and it's fan base? Insult me all you want, I find it funny. But that doesn't take away from the facts. And it seems that some people can't accept them like reasonable adults without resorting to personal attacks and absurd excuses.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just stated a fact about attendance at games 3 & 4 of the finals. Not a 1st round game, 2nd round game , or even a third round game. Finals. If a team can't fill more than 1/3 of the building then what does it really say about the franchise and it's fan base? Insult me all you want, I find it funny. But that doesn't take away from the facts. And it seems that some people can't accept them like reasonable adults without resorting to personal attacks and absurd excuses.

Ok...fair enough,you're just pointing out "facts". Why? Why are you pointing them out? What was the purpose of pointing them out,if you aren't trolling?

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
I thought it was very disappointing and sad. I really thought there was a lot more support for the Wolves. I take no pleasure in seeing that. Just wonder what happened.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I thought it was very disappointing and sad. I really thought there was a lot more support for the Wolves. I take no pleasure in seeing that. Just wonder what happened.

Ok would you like the long or short answer? There are a bunch of contributing factors...but we'll just concentrate on the finals. 2 of the 3 home games were mid-week games...#1...traffic on the expressway that goes out there between 3-8 pm is over an hour in each direction to and from the city and it's only 15 miles. People don't want to do that...to get there theyd have to leave early from work again most don't want to do that. Even still attendance was in line with most week night games. Saturday was a decently attended game...BUT it also went up against a CUBS game and they rule Chicago spring through fall. Which brings me to the next thing...Fan apathy..We are spoiled to some degree...you have to remember this is an organization that won 3 cups between 97-98 and 01-02...basically 3 cups in 5 years. Didn't do it again for 6 years...since then this was the 1st finals appearance in 11 years...a lot of fans have gotten impatient and life moved on.I can tell you that I used to know a bunch of people in my immediate seating area...they are all gone now...work,getting married and having a family took over their time. Poor teams didn't help...kind of a they won't win attitude also plays a part...and the AHL plays a part in that...for years We have felt a bias towards us from the league powers that be...because these finals were on nationwide tv with the NHL Network ...you have no idea how many..."Boy are you guys getting screwed by the league" comments have come from fans across the league,which are followed by..."We thought you guys were just crying but now we see it" So fans take the attitude that we won't win so why spend the time and money. There's more but this is the short answer...This isn't excuses or ignoring things or trying to whitewash it etc...it just is...was it disappointing to see so small attendance numbers? Absolutely...can't do anything about it now...at least the Wolves didn't resort to turning music to deafening levels and pumping in crowd noise to create artificial noise like they do in Charlotte. At least they let things stay real. There you go...a part of my take

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

The really funny thing you completely fail to mention is that at 1/3 full, it is still more than MANY other AHL arenas actually hold. And it is still more than 29 other teams drew for their finals games this year.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
The really funny thing you completely fail to mention is that at 1/3 full, it is still more than MANY other AHL arenas actually hold. And it is still more than 29 other teams drew for their finals games this year.
List of American Hockey League arenas - Wikipedia

So if 1/3 of Allstate is 5564, that means that 3 of the 30 AHL arenas have less capacity. 10%. How does 10% equal MANY?

Swing and a miss. . . . .

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
So here's thing. The Wolves have packed it in before. over 19,000 for a finals game.
According to the AHL official record book, the Wolves' highest attendance for a finals game was 15,132 on June 3, 2002. Their highest single game, according to the AHL official guide, was 16,607. The building hasn't changed since the IHL days. I found an old media guide from the IHL days that listed the capacity at 16,882. Now they show 16, 992 for hockey. The only IHL team that was drawing 19,000+ was the Detroit Vipers, and the Phantoms did it in the AHL playing at the Wells Fargo Center a few time too. So it would only be fair for you to back this up with proof.
2018-19 AHL Guide & Record Book | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
List of American Hockey League arenas - Wikipedia

So if 1/3 of Allstate is 5564, that means that 3 of the 30 AHL arenas have less capacity. 10%. How does 10% equal MANY?

Swing and a miss. . . . .

Swing and amiss by YOU. You said they were 1/3 full for the finals. I guess your math was off. So, take the attendance for the finals and compare that to 2 things, attendance for the other teams during the regular season and arena capacity.

And why can't there be more than capacity for a game?

And how many did Cleveland draw this year for their finals games?

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
According to the AHL official record book, the Wolves' highest attendance for a finals game was 15,132 on June 3, 2002. Their highest single game, according to the AHL official guide, was 16,607. The building hasn't changed since the IHL days. I found an old media guide from the IHL days that listed the capacity at 16,882. Now they show 16, 992 for hockey. The only IHL team that was drawing 19,000+ was the Detroit Vipers, and the Phantoms did it in the AHL playing at the Wells Fargo Center a few time too. So it would only be fair for you to back this up with proof.
2018-19 AHL Guide & Record Book | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

You really do not know when to quit. Not 19k, 18.4k. I was there.

Wolves fans set an IHL playoff attendance record when 18,412 spectators crowd into the Allstate Arena for Game 5 of the Turner Cup Finals. Chicago drops the game to the Grand Rapids Griffins, 6-4, that would have clinched the Turner Cup Championship.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
A raucous crowd of 17,816 – the third largest in franchise history - fills the Allstate Arena to witness the banner raising to commemorate the 2000 Turner Cup Championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad