Prospect Info: 2019 27th Overall Pick | LW Nolan Foote

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He looked better than Cal in the pre-season. Cal was off his game though.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Not sure if poster meant appearance or playstyle

edit: I am not familiar enough with Laine to support/ refute either position

Comparing them at the same age, Laine played stationery game like Foote waiting for passes. Their skating also looks a lot like, while Foote is overall worse skater Laine is also pretty slow skater to get himself going while both have good top end speed. Foote is a more physical player at the same age, but now Laine is also playing more power forward style game and i would say Foote is now better at board battle / in front of the net while Laine is now getting that stuff figured. Both also have great wristers with fast release and great slapper. Both players could be more physical given their size and to me they both look a bit clumsy on the ice. Foote might develop to a better 2-way player but now I find a lot of common things about them. Not to forget the same number ;)

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Comparing them at the same age, Laine played stationery game like Foote waiting for passes. Their skating also looks a lot like, while Foote is overall worse skater Laine is also pretty slow skater to get himself going while both have good top end speed. Foote is a more physical player at the same age, but now Laine is also playing more power forward style game and i would say Foote is now better at board battle / in front of the net while Laine is now getting that stuff figured. Both also have great wristers with fast release and great slapper. Both players could be more physical given their size and to me they both look a bit clumsy on the ice. Foote might develop to a better 2-way player but now I find a lot of common things about them. Not to forget the same number ;)

The only similar attribute is their shots. (And the better one is laine)

Foote plays the game hard down low. Like Maroon does. Foote has character

Laine floats around and has silky mits that Foote does not have.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
At this point I feel bad for Taylor Raddysh. The kid was drafted to be what Foote is becoming now and it never happened.
Do you think Raddysh still has potential to become an effective bottom six NHLler? Hasn't seen much talk about him this season. But in term of points production he looks like he has even taken a step back from last season

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
At this point I feel bad for Taylor Raddysh. The kid was drafted to be what Foote is becoming now and it never happened.
In what way? Other than both having top 6 potential, the two are very different players. Also it's hard to compare them since Raddysh is playing professionally and Foote is still in juniors. Don't forget, a few years ago when Raddysh was at the WJC, he was getting his praises sung, just like Foote is getting now.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Do you think Raddysh still has potential to become an effective bottom six NHLler? Hasn't seen much talk about him this season. But in term of points production he looks like he has even taken a step back from last season

In what way? Other than both having top 6 potential, the two are very different players. Also it's hard to compare them since Raddysh is playing professionally and Foote is still in juniors. Don't forget, a few years ago when Raddysh was at the WJC, he was getting his praises sung, just like Foote is getting now.

To answer both your questions it comes down to that Raddysh is turning 22 in a few weeks and has taken a significant step back in production in Syracuse despite having had similar praise as Foote is now at the same age. It isn't made any better that this is Foote's last season in juniors. If he joins Syracuse in the spring and makes an immediate impact while Raddysh continues to struggle it's gonna look really bad for Raddysh. One would hope Raddysh is getting his cup of coffee right now and playing somewhat well at the NHL level. By then you could still have validly used the "late bloomer" or "project player" argument even if he was going up and down between the NHL and AHL. As long as he was playing well you don't really worry about it. I am of the belief that after a certain point a player needs to either "get it" or he never will. For any hockey player, by 100 professional games in either league of the NHL or AHL (not combined, I mean either 100 NHL games or 100 AHL games) you need to start seeing the light coming on with at least SOME degree of consistency. Enough to where you can disregard all the bad games in between. Sergachev is a good example. He could have as many bad games as he wanted because there would be stretches where you could see he was getting better and would be making great plays. Raddysh looked fine last year. This year is a step back and it's not ever a good thing when that happens. These are the years why guys like CV and Conacher are AHL lifers and why Yanni Gourde is an NHL regular.

We're at 100 games for Raddysh and he's not producing at the level expected of him. It doesn't mean he is a bust. It doesn't mean it's time to panic either. But it means Raddysh is at the point of his career when prospects gain their shine or lose it. If he has been hurt then it's a different story. But if this is a fully grown, fully healthy 22 year old man going out there in a good AHL team only getting 5 goals at roughly the halfway point of the season then it's time to break out the "Ruh Roh" memes again. For a guy I was hoping to replace Killorn that is no bueno right now.

If we get a full season of this next year then it's gonna more than likely that he's gonna be an AHL lifer or needs a change of scenery. Again... guys reach a point where they need to get it and Raddysh is getting there now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwui21

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not so ninja edit:

If Foote's current level of play translates to the professional level immediately (whereas Raddysh's did not/has not) Foote is liable to make the Lightning by opening night 2022 and Raddysh will likely have moved on or been passed up.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not so ninja edit:

If Foote's current level of play translates to the professional level immediately (whereas Raddysh's did not/has not) Foote is liable to make the Lightning by opening night 2022 and Raddysh will likely have moved on or been passed up.
Ok thanks! For the record, I agree with everything you said about Raddysh in your post above. If he was not having a sub par season right now, he'd definitely be getting a look with the Bolts because we've been looking for the right combination up here and we've already tried a number of players out. I'm not ready to give up on him, but it is disappointing for sure. Hopefully just a sophomore slump that he can eventually work through. And while we'd all like to see more points from him, I don't think that's what's keeping him from getting to the NHL.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
To answer both your questions it comes down to that Raddysh is turning 22 in a few weeks and has taken a significant step back in production in Syracuse despite having had similar praise as Foote is now at the same age. It isn't made any better that this is Foote's last season in juniors. If he joins Syracuse in the spring and makes an immediate impact while Raddysh continues to struggle it's gonna look really bad for Raddysh. One would hope Raddysh is getting his cup of coffee right now and playing somewhat well at the NHL level. By then you could still have validly used the "late bloomer" or "project player" argument even if he was going up and down between the NHL and AHL. As long as he was playing well you don't really worry about it. I am of the belief that after a certain point a player needs to either "get it" or he never will. For any hockey player, by 100 professional games in either league of the NHL or AHL (not combined, I mean either 100 NHL games or 100 AHL games) you need to start seeing the light coming on with at least SOME degree of consistency. Enough to where you can disregard all the bad games in between. Sergachev is a good example. He could have as many bad games as he wanted because there would be stretches where you could see he was getting better and would be making great plays. Raddysh looked fine last year. This year is a step back and it's not ever a good thing when that happens. These are the years why guys like CV and Conacher are AHL lifers and why Yanni Gourde is an NHL regular.

We're at 100 games for Raddysh and he's not producing at the level expected of him. It doesn't mean he is a bust. It doesn't mean it's time to panic either. But it means Raddysh is at the point of his career when prospects gain their shine or lose it. If he has been hurt then it's a different story. But if this is a fully grown, fully healthy 22 year old man going out there in a good AHL team only getting 5 goals at roughly the halfway point of the season then it's time to break out the "Ruh Roh" memes again. For a guy I was hoping to replace Killorn that is no bueno right now.

If we get a full season of this next year then it's gonna more than likely that he's gonna be an AHL lifer or needs a change of scenery. Again... guys reach a point where they need to get it and Raddysh is getting there now.

Syracuse is having a shitty season which is affecting a lot of the players. When Stephens was called up he had 10 points in 24 games so it’s not like we care too much about that.

I think Raddysh last year showed he is going to be an nhl player at some point. Some 30 games of mediocre play shouldn’t really change anyone’s opinion too much.

Reactions: DaBolts

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Foote on his contributions:
"Just wanted to bring my offensive skill and try to use it as much as possible and contribute that shot on the power play like I did and obviously play a 200 foot game as well."

On who impressed him:
"I think every single guy on Canada definitely impressed me. Lafreniere, playing with him for most of the time, Barrett Hayton, those kind of guys. Hayton coming up from the Coyotes, he was really cool. He was my roommate for the whole time and he taught me a lot and he gave great advice."

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
In his Midseason prospects ranking (evaluation of the best prospects outside the NHL – players who are either signed to an NHL contract or whose rights are held on a club’s reserve list), Pronman put Nolan Foote at 48, under the category "Very good NHL prospects"
the other player on the list (and under the same category) is Barré-Boulet, ranked at 43 (you can find what Pronman said about him in the Syracuse prospects thread.
Pronman: 2019-20 midseason NHL prospects ranking

48. Nolan Foote, LW, Tampa Bay (Kelowna-WHL)
Nov. 29, 2000 | 6-foot-3 | 191 pounds
Drafted: 27th-overall (2019)
Previous ranking: No. 109
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 60
Shot Grade: 60
Foote hasn’t lit up the WHL in his four junior seasons, but he has a great toolkit and has looked very good at the international level. He has the great hockey sense that runs in the family. He has a missile of a shot that can score from long distance. He’s a big forward who can win puck battles. Foote’s skating will never wow you, but it’s fine – not a strength, but not a weakness. I don’t see him as a driver at even strength, but he’ll be able to handle his own, and then on the power play he will go to work.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i am hoping foote pushes for a spot this next season and gets fast tracked:) love his game

as far as raddysh im abvolutely not concerned..... i think he will figure it out and get back to a pace.... i absolutely see him in the nhl at some point longterm

one thing is his playmaking ability might be better then his scoring ability

i feel this is different then foote whom likes to boom his shots when can and is just better at net at this time in his career..... to me raddysh is very good at coming up ice like say palat or even killer and good at finishing on the move like mantha say for detroit but has to figure out more of his game at this time:) raddysh with right linemates can lead a charge imho just needs two guys at his skillset and as said is a playmaker a good one and dangerous in that situation

if he works on net play and getting to net which should come together he should have a decent nhl career

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Whelp so much for any chance he had of making an upset and making the team next year -which was very, very slim odds to begin with anyway. You can't get better if you don't play and he's already lost a lot of time to injuries. Unless he makes the AHL his bitch like Kucherov did in (what was that, like 14 games) he's gonna spend the full year in Syracuse.

Let's hope Joseph signs for $950K then. The whole idea of trading him for a pure rental was if Foote was REALLY looking good in his last WHL season like Point was. If he's out week to week I doubt that's gonna happen now. He needs all the games he can get

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Whelp so much for any chance he had of making an upset and making the team next year -which was very, very slim odds to begin with anyway. You can't get better if you don't play and he's already lost a lot of time to injuries. Unless he makes the AHL his ***** like Kucherov did in (what was that, like 14 games) he's gonna spend the full year in Syracuse.

Let's hope Joseph signs for $950K then. The whole idea of trading him for a pure rental was if Foote was REALLY looking good in his last WHL season like Point was. If he's out week to week I doubt that's gonna happen now. He needs all the games he can get

Why did he need to have a 100 point season to make a case for the team next year? We aren't putting him on the main roster to challenge Kucherov for the scoring title. We need him to be a physical presence in the dirty areas and score goals from there. Physically he's probably close to ready, another offseason to bulk up some more and add a little conditioning will help. He just needs to show he can be consistent so a strong camp and a few good preseason games should do that more than what he would do in these two weeks he's injured.

If the only forward we lose next year is Killorn, or even Gourde then he shouldn't be up anyway. He needs to be playing in the top 6 where we can shelter him and set him up best for success. Putting him in the bottom 6 to replace one of those forwards isn't ideal, especially with how Cooper treats the bottom 6.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why did he need to have a 100 point season to make a case for the team next year? We aren't putting him on the main roster to challenge Kucherov for the scoring title. We need him to be a physical presence in the dirty areas and score goals from there. Physically he's probably close to ready, another offseason to bulk up some more and add a little conditioning will help. He just needs to show he can be consistent so a strong camp and a few good preseason games should do that more than what he would do in these two weeks he's injured.

If the only forward we lose next year is Killorn, or even Gourde then he shouldn't be up anyway. He needs to be playing in the top 6 where we can shelter him and set him up best for success. Putting him in the bottom 6 to replace one of those forwards isn't ideal, especially with how Cooper treats the bottom 6.

Eh? It's less about point production and more about that Foote can't develop if he's sitting out injured. Point was ready for the NHL level not because of his scoring totals, but because he got his reps in. It boils down to that if Foote isn't playing, then it means his development is being halted. We saw Cooper almost immediately plug Volkov in with the top 6 guys every preseason and even during the regular season now. It would not have surprised me to see the same opportunity for Foote given that his development was adequate. Killorn in particular plays all over the place. It wouldn't have mattered if he got bumped to the 3rd line forever in favor of Foote. But now with him being out week to week, I can't see how he's going to develop enough to even get as much of a look as even Volkov did come training camp. I feel like he was a long shot to make the team anyway but I didn't feel like it was impossible provided he knocked some socks off like he was in the World Juniors. But now? I just can't see it happening. Again you can't develop if you're sitting out injured.

I've always believed you can be ready for the NHL while playing in juniors but the thing is you gotta play in order to get to that point. For Foote it seems unlikely that's gonna be the case and it's AHL for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->