Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I believe his rights expire on June 1st. The only way that would be extended is if he went to college, correct?

He was drafted out of Calgary midget hockey so rights don't expire. Agreement is with CHL, which midget hockey is not. Montreal would have to give up his rights.

He should try to get onto a USHL hockey team next year, as it doesn't seem he'll get a chance to go NCAA. He needs a place to play & he can't go back to BCHL. Too old.

I guess, we'll see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
To EVERYONE's shock, Habs did not sign Ruscheinski and he is no longer a Habs prospect.

He hasn't committed to any college so the Habs had no way of extending their rights to him, which is what they did with Henrikson last year, who was drafted out of Europe, but because he came over here, played USHL and then NCAA, Habs were able to extend their rights to him.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You sometimes have to wonder what the scouting thought process is when picking a guy like this. Likely a flyer on his given his size and how late he was picked but you have to wonder if he really ever had the skill or if he ever really wanted to play higher level hockey. He is now 20, never played major junior and as per above, has not even committed for college.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
You sometimes have to wonder what the scouting thought process is when picking a guy like this. Likely a flyer on his given his size and how late he was picked but you have to wonder if he really ever had the skill or if he ever really wanted to play higher level hockey. He is now 20, never played major junior and as per above, has not even committed for college.
Hoping to hit lightning in a bottle. Big kid with skating. With the 50 contract limit sometimes it's better to miss big than to play safe.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Before they made the pick, Timmins said they were honoring the memory of Elmer Benning, who was a scout for Habs for almost two decades. And Elmer was a scout of Western Canada.

So my guess, and this is ONLY my guess, is that Elmer Benning had been scouting Ruscheinski and had some notes on him before he passed. And with the amount of picks they had that year, they decided to honor his memory by selecting one of the kids he was scouting with their final pick of the draft.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He was an in memoriam pick.. there was never any actual chance he was going to do anything.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He was drafted out of Calgary midget hockey so rights don't expire. Agreement is with CHL, which midget hockey is not. Montreal would have to give up his rights.

He should try to get onto a USHL hockey team next year, as it doesn't seem he'll get a chance to go NCAA. He needs a place to play & he can't go back to BCHL. Too old.

I guess, we'll see.

Not sure he's skilled enough for that level of hockey. From the few videos i've seen of him in the BCHL it looked like he was struggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Most years, the team will not be able to find anybody good in the 7th round.
This is true but for some reason it always really bothers me when teams waste even 7th round picks on purely sentimental stuff like this, or the Devils drafting Brodeur's kid, etc. There's always an undrafted CHL overager, big physical CHL dman, Russian junior player, BCHL/USHL/Ontario Jr. A player who scored a ton, etc. It just bugs me to burn a pick on sentimental stuff when there's always going to be players with a plausible chance out there, no matter how small the chance is.

Not that anyone in the Habs board needs to be told this, but while the 7th round isn't a high success rate but it's also not nothing. Evans just played 22 minutes in back to back elimination games for us and Primeau might be the goalie of the future. Harvey-Pinard looks like he can play, and Brett Stapley's not nothing either. Just bothers me to burn a pick even in the 7th round with how successful it's been for us lately.

It just bugs me because even if we just wanted to gamble on a giant stay at home dman, why not draft someone like Jackson van de Leest instead? Same draft year as Ruscheinski, 6'7 - 240lb top 4 dman for the Calgary Hitmen. He has very little chance of making it, but at the very least he's playing a top 4 role with respectable production in the best U20 league in the world, not stuck in Midget AAA (where Ruscheinski didn't even produce!).

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Most years, the team will not be able to find anybody good in the 7th round.

True. But then there are guys that get out of the 7th round, like Jake Evans, AND there are guys that are signed after that make it like Gourde, Marchessault and Cie. The day that I'm told that the 7th rounder is not important is the day that we should just stop picking there and trade it for a 6th rounder in 2 years or something. Also, if it's not important, I don't want to hear Bergevin or anybody tell me how we have 15 picks or whatever as the 7th rounder shouldn't count for some odd reasons...

And in the end, if the 7th rounder won't make it in the NHL, he might make it in the AHL. So if you are not going to waste a contract because he's not NHL material, well maybe the team that drafts you might have the upper hand in getting you a AHL-ECHL contract.

For me, no picks should be taken as a joke. In a building through draft supposed strategy.

A great memoriam would have been to dedicate the entire draft to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michelangelo

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I was looking over the drafts and it seems there’s 17 players drafted in the 7th round that made their nhl debuts from the 2014-2017 drafts.

It’s not much, but that’s still a 14% rate with some very solid role-players like engvall, kase, evans, kalynuk, niku, nutivaara and roy.

And maybe even some potential top line players like olofsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad